webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > TouchPad Go Stuck on HP Logo
TouchPad Go Stuck on HP Logo
Like Tree2Likes

Old 01/30/2013, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey everyone,

I recently came into possession of a Wi-Fi TouchPad Go running webOS 3.0.5. It was running great for a couple of weeks until the day before yesterday.

That evening I installed the UberCalendar and Muffle System Logging patches on it. I also installed the Fandango and Tumblbox2 apps. Then, in anticipation of getting some assistance in creating a Meta-Doctor for it I used Internalz Pro to copy (not move) all of the folders in the root directory (except for media) to my /media/internal/downloads/ folder.

My plan was to (once complete) transfer those files onto my PC so if something were to happen I would have a backup copy of all the critical files on the device from which to restore.

All the folders had completed and the last two: /usr/ and /var/ were in the process of copying. I decided to take a quick shower and upon getting out the device appeared frozen and non-responsive. After about a half-hour of patiently waiting I rebooted it and since then it has been stuck on the hp logo (before attempting to load Luna since I have custom Palm hp-logo.jpg and hp-logo-bright.jpg files that kick in at that point.

The device can successfully be put into recovery mode and I can use Novacom to boot to the installer ramdisk where I have command line access to the device. From browsing the files on the device it appears everything is still there and the copies do exist in my /media/internal/downloads/ folder also.

The only odd thing I have noticed is when I run a df -h command only the following is mounted (and it is possible that's normal for this state):

Code:
root@webos-device:/# df -h
df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                28.8M     22.4M      6.4M  78% /
/dev/root                28.8M     22.4M      6.4M  78% /dev/.static/dev
tmpfs                     2.0M    108.0K      1.9M   5% /dev
tmpfs                   459.7M         0    459.7M   0% /tmp
root@webos-device:/#
I am able to successfully mount everything listed in the /etc/fstab file except for /var/db, var/file-cache, and /proc. The first two tell me that:

Code:
mount: mounting /dev/mapper/store-cryptodb on /var/db failed: No such file or directory
I can browse and see those directories do exist however with the ls command.

Attempting to mount /proc states:

Code:
mount: mounting proc on /proc failed: Device or resource busy
To clarify, I have an activation bypass tool for my device but not a doctor and yes, I understand I am entitled to no assistance since it is an unreleased device but would greatly appreciate some help. I did not do anything that I considered risky but apparently I was wrong.

I have tried just about everything I can think of and am just wanting to get my device up and running again.

Thanks!

Last edited by cbosdell; 01/30/2013 at 04:53 PM.
cbosdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Ha.......:confused
I had told you that do not do something in your touchpadgo 16G Gps webos3.0.5. Maybe it is last "panda" in the touchpad family. Try to contact Henri_P in webosnation. Hope you fix it...
lemanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Can you see the big USB hold power + Vol up ??
Old 01/30/2013, 08:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, that's what I meant by recovery mode. I can get to that just fine.
Old 01/30/2013, 08:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had flashed the touchpadgo 32G 3G directly without doctor . But not sure your touchpadgo type. It is big risk...
Old 01/30/2013, 10:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

The proper way to make an image is to boot to ramdisk, mount store-root somewher -ro, then tar up the data either through Novacom or writing it to the media partition. You should have made the backup immediately when you obtained the device.

There is a kernel log dumping command in the bootloader. I don't remember the command off hand, but type "help" in bootie (big USB logo mode) and it'll show you the list of commands.

If the problem is caused by patches, look for files ending in .webosinternals.orig. You can also use integcheck to scan for modified files. See my resource list for directions.

store-cryptodb and store-filecache are not supposed to be plainly mountable, because they're encrypted. The encryption key is in store-var.

BTW, what ramdisk did you use? I thought Topaz ramdisks weren't compatible with Opal devices?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
The proper way to make an image is to boot to ramdisk, mount store-root somewher -ro, then tar up the data either through Novacom or writing it to the media partition. You should have made the backup immediately when you obtained the device.

There is a kernel log dumping command in the bootloader. I don't remember the command off hand, but type "help" in bootie (big USB logo mode) and it'll show you the list of commands.

If the problem is caused by patches, look for files ending in .webosinternals.orig. You can also use integcheck to scan for modified files. See my resource list for directions.

store-cryptodb and store-filecache are not supposed to be plainly mountable, because they're encrypted. The encryption key is in store-var.

BTW, what ramdisk did you use? I thought Topaz ramdisks weren't compatible with Opal devices?
Thanks for the reply GMMan! I was provided with an Opal ramdisk that seems to have worked fine.

I understand I put the device into the USB logo/recovery mode but I'm not sure how to get to bootie from there? Do I boot to Installer ramdisk to get there as you describe here (http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...webos-use.html) or is it something else? And once I'm there do I have to type bootie -help or just help?

That makes me feel better about the mounts if they aren't supposed to be plainly mountable.

I'm about to try integcheck.
Old 01/30/2013, 11:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

I just ran the integcheck and got some puzzling results?

Code:
root@webos-device:/# /usr/sbin/integcheck ipkg
/usr/sbin/integcheck ipkg
/usr/sbin/integcheck IPKG VERIFICATION SUCCEEDED
root@webos-device:/# /usr/sbin/integcheck ipkg
/usr/sbin/integcheck ipkg
/usr/sbin/integcheck IPKG VERIFICATION SUCCEEDED
I ran it twice to make sure. It came back right away just saying IPKG Verification Succeeded.

Edit:

I found the USB mode you were talking about in NovaTerm. Apparently I was trying to access it the wrong way. Anyways here is the help list, I'm not sure which one I need to use from here. :/

Code:
] help                                                                                                                                   
command list:                                                                                                                            
        nduid           : get the device id                                                                                              
        heap            : heap debug commands                                                                                            
        gfx             : gfx commands                                                                                                   
        fs              : fs debug commands                                                                                              
        bio             : block io debug commands                                                                                        
        display         : display debug commands                                                                                         
        backlight       : backlight debug commands                                                                                       
        token           : token read/write commands                                                                                      
        vreg            : system voltage regulators control                                                                              
        usb             : usb transfer commands                                                                                          
        nvram           : nvram read/write/init commands                                                                                 
        logo            : logo display commands                                                                                          
        lboot           : boot linux image                                                                                               
        klog            : klog commands                                                                                                  
        printenv        : print all of the environment variables                                                                         
        getenv          : read an environment variable                                                                                   
        setenv          : set an environment variable                                                                                    
        saveenv         : save the current environment to nvram                                                                          
        log             : dump debug log                                                                                                 
        dw              : display memory in words                                                                                        
        dh              : display memory in halfwords                                                                                    
        db              : display memory in bytes                                                                                        
        mw              : modify word of memory                                                                                          
        mh              : modify halfword of memory                                                                                      
        mb              : modify byte of memory                                                                                          
        fw              : fill range of memory by word                                                                                   
        fh              : fill range of memory by halfword                                                                               
        fb              : fill range of memory by byte                                                                                   
        mc              : copy a range of memory                                                                                         
        mtest           : simple memory test                                                                                             
        reset           : reset the device                                                                                               
        reboot          : reset the device                                                                                               
        poweroff        : power off completely                                                                                           
        wall            : see what's written on the wall                                                                                 
        script          : run a script at specified address                                                                              
        run             : run a script at from an environment variable                                                                   
        return          : return from current script                                                                                     
        help            : this list                                                                                                      
        test            : test the command processor                                                                                     
        history         : command history                                                                                                
        clk             : system clocks control                                                                                          
        crc             : crc32 a range of memory                                                                                        
        adler           : adler32 a range of memory                                                                                      
        sha1            : sha1 a range of memory                                                                                         
        chainboot       : boot another bootloader image based on environment                                                             
        go              : Jump to a given address with the given arguments                                                               
        version         : get bootie version                                                                                             
        threads         : list kernel threads                                                                                            
        threadstats     : thread level statistics                                                                                        
        threadload      : toggle thread load display                                                                                     
        gyro            : read output from the gyroscope mpu3050                                                                         
        mmcid           : identify the mmc                                                                                               
        acc             : observe the accelerometer output                                                                               
        mgt             : observe the magnetometer output                                                                                
        lcd             : lcd info/update/pattern/fill/write/read                                                                        
        als             : read output from the ambient light sensor for isl29023                                                         
        i2c             : i2c read/write commands                                                                                        
        capacitive_prox : read output from the prox sensor                                                                               
        ctp             : id Cypress touch information                                                                                   
        cam             : control camera subsystem
 charging states                                                                                
        fsboot          : boot current image based on environment
 battery         : battery status                                                                                                 
        a6_sbw          : test a6 sbw interface                                                                                          
        a6              : test a6 interface                                                                                              
        charging        : commands to set charging states                                                                                
        fsboot          : boot current image based on environment                                                                        
        spi             : MSM8X60 SPI driver                                                                   
        phytune         : commands to tune the phy on msm7k
Is it klog last?

I tried that and ended up having to use a program to take screenshots of it since it wouldn't let me scroll up enough to copy it all. That (badly) put together output is here:

http://www.cbosdell.com/klog.jpg

Also while looking around in there I ran this command which gave an odd output:

Code:
] fs bootfs
] fs bootfs                                                                                                                              
sys_mount_bootfs returns 0
Edit #2: I went ahead and did the regular log command. I don't see anything too odd here either.

http://www.cbosdell.com/log.jpg

Last edited by cbosdell; 01/31/2013 at 05:08 PM.
cbosdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/31/2013, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hmmm. /var/db and /var/file-cache are picky file systems... they are actually mounted by a upstart script during the boot process. /proc is a special Linux filesystem which contains information on the running system (/proc/cpuinfo, for instance, gives you info on your processors).

When you get /var mounted, try running this command:

/sbin/init 3

That should force the system into run level 3 (multi-user mode + networking). Alternatively, you can try run level 5.

If you have a Doctor image, you can probably configure MetaDoctor with info about it, and I think "make backup" will do a mem dump backup of the device, including tokens. Essentially a tar is created that lets you re-build the device later with MetaDoctor.

If the init commands don't work, I think you *might* be able to try this to mount /var/db and /var/file-cache:

/etc/event.d/finish-poststart.d/001-mountcrypt
start filecache
start mojodb

Though... The best thing to do is to reboot the device, let it stall, get a console on it through novaterm, and then swipe off /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg. dmesg will give you a kernel level description of the system and probably note any low level failures, and messages will let you know which module is failing.

EDIT: You can post the messages and dmesg file here, or message them to me if you think they might contain passwords.
Old 01/31/2013, 11:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Also, be careful in bootie. Unfortunately, bootie won't really be able to tell you why webOS isn't completely booting. It is just the boot loader.
Old 02/01/2013, 05:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

I am curious on how you got 3.0.5
I have had two GOs (wifi and a TTB LTE model) and both run 3.0.4
MudShark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 11:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
It came running 3.0.5.
Old 02/06/2013, 01:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
One of the TP GO sellers here in our marketplace has a 3.0.5 version for the tp GO he managed to create using stuff from the topaz build. cbosdell and I planned to work together to create a viable webOS doector from a memboot backup of his device. Didn't get around to it before the current dilemna interrupted.

TTB
Old 02/06/2013, 03:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Would love to have a 305 when available for your LTE model
MudShark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2013, 07:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
One of the TP GO sellers here in our marketplace has a 3.0.5 version for the tp GO he managed to create using stuff from the topaz build. cbosdell and I planned to work together to create a viable webOS doector from a memboot backup of his device. Didn't get around to it before the current dilemna interrupted.

TTB
If you PM the backup source, I will create a meta doctor script for it...

Like I did for the PixiPlus (webOS 2.1.0) or Veer (webOS 2.2.3/4).
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2013, 12:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
If you PM the backup source, I will create a meta doctor script for it...

Like I did for the PixiPlus (webOS 2.1.0) or Veer (webOS 2.2.3/4).
cbossdell - do what john steffes says

best idea overall, but you really should try to have the device working before you make the memboot bu source.
Old 02/07/2013, 02:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Can someone instruct me on how to do a memboot backup source? I've done a little googling but haven't come across anything to help me figure it out. Thanks!
Old 02/07/2013, 06:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbosdell View Post
Can someone instruct me on how to do a memboot backup source? I've done a little googling but haven't come across anything to help me figure it out. Thanks!
setup the meta doctor application: Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

Then once that is done setup a sudo doctor base... download the touchpad wifi doctor and put it in downloads...

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions

You need the uimage to boot (not 100% sure if they are the same but lets just say they are)

one can run make DEVICE=touchpad CARRIER=wifi memboot backup

It will use the touchpad uimage under the build directory, if that is different then change the tenderloin one to a .old copy the touchpad go one but keep the tenderloin name.

If this does not work let me know... (I am doing this from memory)...
Old 02/07/2013, 08:00 AM   #19 (permalink)

I don't think so. There are a lot strange things happened in touchpadgos. I saw the device info from this touchpadgo running webos 3.0.5 16G gps+wifi version. no carrier name and hardware D1....Can not look for this type doctor.
Also I have a touchpadgo with ATT 3.0.0 32G 3G+Wifi. Want to upgrade it with ATT.3.0.4 touchpadgo doctor which provided from a Webosnation fan. It didn't work and stopped at 8% (Strange...)
So I grabed webos.tar and att.tar from above ATT 3.0.4 touchpadgo doctor. And flashed the other touchpadgos directly without metal-doctor. Two touchpadgos can finished the process and showed home page (No need to set up HP account). But one touchpadgo working well. One touchpadgo lost touch function....
I am sure the hardware is no problem. Feel missing something.......

Chris. If you can not slove it finally.I can flash it by my way. But 50% chance lost touch function. Big risk......
Old 02/07/2013, 08:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
I don't think so. There are a lot strange things happened in touchpadgos. I saw the device info from this touchpadgo running webos 3.0.5 16G gps+wifi version. no carrier name and hardware D1....Can not look for this type doctor.
Also I have a touchpadgo with ATT 3.0.0 32G 3G+Wifi. Want to upgrade it with ATT.3.0.4 touchpadgo doctor which provided from a Webosnation fan. It didn't work and stopped at 8% (Strange...)
So I grabed webos.tar and att.tar from above ATT 3.0.4 touchpadgo doctor. And flashed the other touchpadgos directly without metal-doctor. Two touchpadgos can finished the process and showed home page (No need to set up HP account). But one touchpadgo working well. One touchpadgo lost touch function....
I am sure the hardware is no problem. Feel missing something.......

Chris. If you can not slove it finally.I can flash it by my way. But 50% chance lost touch function. Big risk......
Catnip is the utility to fix the touchpanel, I had a Veer TouchPanel break, I was able to re-flash the panel ID and firmware using catnip and got it working again...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0