webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > File Viewers won't view files
File Viewers won't view files

Old 01/23/2013, 04:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
tfj

I'm baffled trying to read html and pdf files outside of webOS's normal channels.

Right now my /media/internal partition is locked down read-only (for undeleting purposes), so I
download or copy files to more rooty places. It seems that reader-apps can't read files from most such locations; Web says 'no Internet connection', and Adobe Reader says 'an Error has occured'. Even text files may be unreadable, maybe because the text reader needs a scratch-file in /media/internal. Giving the files a mode of 777, or changing ownership to say, luna:luna or wterm:wterm (I have rooted wTerm) doesn't help.

I *can* read files (at least htmls and text) from the /opt directory, which is a loop-mounted filesystem, but
for some reason it has gone read-only, and resists remounting read-write (maybe it's tied to /media/internal?), so I can't put any more files there.

So, why do readers fail to read these files, and, how can you remount /opt read-write?

Also, I understand there are 'luna send' commands that might work; if so, could you give the full command-lines for 'Web: read my_html_file' and 'Adobe: read my_pdf_file'?

Thanks,
tfj
tfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2013, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah, your entire system is pretty much locked down if you don't allow access to /media/internal. Regular apps can only read from /media/internal and their own app directories, while if you have Internalz you might have better luck. /opt is a loopback from /media/cryptofs, which in itself is based in /media/internal.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: tfj
Old 01/24/2013, 08:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Adobe reader renders pages as stores them in /media/internal/appdata/com.quickoffice.ar/.cache - so if this location is read-only it won't be able to display PDFs. If you want keep you /media/internal readonly - you have to create symbolic link /media/internal/appdata/com.quickoffice.ar/ to some writable place.

You should be able to display HTML files using Commander - either via View (this creates temp file in /tmp) - as source code or via Enter (or double tap) - as web page
artxxork is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: tfj
Old 02/19/2013, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
tfj

Quote:
Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
Adobe reader renders pages as stores them in /media/internal/appdata/com.quickoffice.ar/.cache - so if this location is read-only it won't be able to display PDFs. If you want keep you /media/internal readonly - you have to create symbolic link /media/internal/appdata/com.quickoffice.ar/ to some writable place.

You should be able to display HTML files using Commander - either via View (this creates temp file in /tmp) - as source code or via Enter (or double tap) - as web page
To clarify, I probably forgot to reset /media/internal read-only sometimes after reboots, which might explain why I could access /opt.

As for using links, /media/internal has a vfat filesystem and normal links don't work (something that trips me up frequently, especially since <ln> fails silently); is there a way to effect these links?

For some text files, xxCommander also requires "/media/internal/appdata/xx.commander/.temp.sh.html", and I'm guessing Web also needs some such writable file(s) on /media/internal in order to display html files.
tfj is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0