webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > broken touchpad, (one not so careful owner)
broken touchpad, (one not so careful owner)

Old 01/20/2013, 06:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

hi,

my seven year old daughter dropped her touchpad and now the screen is blank/dead. I tried to re_animate it by normal methods, holding two buttons for 20 seconds, plugging in USB and charging, plugging into pc but nothing works.

question I have is... Is there any hardware repair options left for touchpad? I checked HP website and they seem to be gone. I would hate to have to get rid of device down to single moment of carelessness.

Or any other suggestions to try and fix?

many thanks,

PD
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

could be the LCD cable, does the backlight still come on ?

you can find easy manuals on Ifixit ( HP TouchPad Repair Manual - iFixit ) ]
henri_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Paul_D
Old 01/20/2013, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri_p View Post
could be the LCD cable, does the backlight still come on ?

you can find easy manuals on Ifixit ( HP TouchPad Repair Manual - iFixit ) ]
many thanks Henri will take a look through it and see if anything can be leveraged.

thanks again,
PD
Old 01/20/2013, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
hi,

my seven year old daughter dropped her touchpad and now the screen is blank/dead. I tried to re_animate it by normal methods, holding two buttons for 20 seconds, plugging in USB and charging, plugging into pc but nothing works.

question I have is... Is there any hardware repair options left for touchpad? I checked HP website and they seem to be gone. I would hate to have to get rid of device down to single moment of carelessness.

many thanks,

PD
your best bet is to contact them on twitter @HPSupport tweet them and tell them you need help.they'll ask you to follow them and than you tell problem via direct message. if you're still under warranty they'll sent you a replacement in about 7 days I'm currently having issues with my usb cable which just got my second replacement last week same issue 3 days later so try a usb cable from a cell phone or something
kingnothing922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_D View Post
hi,

many thanks,

PD
have you tried pressing the volume down + power + home button repeatedly at the same time...not sure if this works but I just read it in a forum.. its worth a shot
kingnothing922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 07:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Try the Palm 5T's for fixing your Touchpad.

BTW... to trigger a restart it is the following:
  1. Press and hold Power.
  2. While still holding down Power, press and hold Center until the HP logo appears (about 15 seconds).

Do the above in that order (not the reverse).

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you all for advice, will start with the Twitter request and take it from there. Hopefully a slim chance it can be reanimated!

Thank you all again,
PD
Old 02/12/2013, 11:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi, I took my touchpad apart and the ribbon cable for the digitizer aka touchscreen had slipped out of the slot. I slid the cable back in the slot and flipped the the cable "lock" down. I followed the instructions on ifixit.com.

This worked a couple of times that my kids dropped it. Now after my 4-year old dropped it yesterday, I'm wondering if the problem is the ribbon cable, the digitizer/touchscreen, or the circuit board that the ribbon cable goes into. Does anybody have experience with this?
Thanks,
-Alexei
alexei2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0