webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Help / virus
Help / virus
Like Tree15Likes

Old 01/19/2013, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

does anyone know how i can scan my touchpad for virus? Cus i think my touchpad is infected with virus / spyware.. I cant find any anti virus app for it. Please help..
nexnite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 01:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

never heard of it before. Why do you think it is infected?
Thanked by RumoredNow, Vistaus
Old 01/19/2013, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

There are no viruses for webOS. I would suggest running webOS Doctor WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals and see if that fixes your problem.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 01:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdesai View Post
never heard of it before. Why do you think it is infected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
There are no viruses for webOS. I would suggest running webOS Doctor WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals and see if that fixes your problem.
Yeah, but...

Like jmdesai, I'm curious why the OP believes it to be a virus. Just because there hasn't been one does not make it a truism that there never will be a virus for webOS.

It's Malware. There need not be a reason behind any such thing other than malice and there are some twisted folks out there that get glee simply from breaking things.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: nexnite23
Old 01/19/2013, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

i cant open it. Do i have to download it on touchpad or i have to download it on pc? I down load it on touchpad and cant open download.
nexnite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Follow the instructions here: How To Recover - WebOS Internals You download the doctor to your PC.
Thanked By: nexnite23
Old 01/19/2013, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can say using my touchpad very poorly I must have clicked on links that a sane man would shy away from and lets not talk about the internet skid row and I never came across anything close to malware

scanning my PC which I only use for my stewardship and banking gets many hits
Liked by RumoredNow and con500 like this.
Old 01/19/2013, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ahem. Throwing someone webOS Doctor as a first solution is like telling PC users to reinstall their operating system when something goes ever so slightly weird. How about we figure out what the problem actually is before we start nuking things?

(Edit: Come to think of it, those are actually identical actions. Doctoring is practically reinstalling webOS.)

First, what are the symptoms of this "virus"? Also, what is it a virus of? Is it a TouchPad virus, or is it a PC virus? (I ask the previous because TPs are storage devices and have possibility of transmitting malware to other computers while not getting affected itself.)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by GMMan; 01/19/2013 at 10:54 PM.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow and Remy X like this.
Old 01/19/2013, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Ahem. Throwing someone webOS Doctor as a first solution is like telling PC users to reinstall their operating system when something goes ever so slightly weird. How about we figure out what the problem actually is before we start nuking things?

First, what are the symptoms of this "virus"? Also, what is it a virus of? Is it a TouchPad virus, or is it a PC virus? (I ask the previous because TPs are storage devices and have possibility of transmitting malware to other computers while not getting affected itself.)
+1

QFT: never take drastic actions as your first step, its liek hearing of some of my friends reinstalling winblows just because their system slows down a little when a simple clean up could have fixed it, that or they had something like norton/mcafee sucking their systems dry and installing 3-4 kinda of firewall and malware removal tools assuming more = safer.
Old 01/21/2013, 08:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Before taking such drastic action, what are the symptoms?
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 01:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

I do not go to my doctor and only tell him: "it hurts", because he won't be able to help me on basis of NO FACTS.

So the OP doesn't want to tell us any symptoms or how he gets the idea that he has a virus or malware - and of course he is entirely entitled to keep this secret.

If he did tell us, people would actually be able to help him.
As he does not, he does not seem to need help that direly and wiping his TP clean seems the only valid option.

Whatever REAL problem there is on his TP, the WebOS Doctor will very probably get rid of it, and the OP can keep his "secrets".
I see no need to discuss this any further, but that is of course as always, just my opinion.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/22/2013, 12:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
I do not go to my doctor and only tell him: "it hurts", because he won't be able to help me on basis of NO FACTS.

So the OP doesn't want to tell us any symptoms or how he gets the idea that he has a virus or malware - and of course he is entirely entitled to keep this secret.

If he did tell us, people would actually be able to help him.
As he does not, he does not seem to need help that direly and wiping his TP clean seems the only valid option.

Whatever REAL problem there is on his TP, the WebOS Doctor will very probably get rid of it, and the OP can keep his "secrets".
I see no need to discuss this any further, but that is of course as always, just my opinion.
A great good point.

But, to be fair, within 30 minutes a Forum Moderator told him to Doctor. That probably sounded like the voice of authority speaking...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 02:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
A great good point.

But, to be fair, within 30 minutes a Forum Moderator told him to Doctor. That probably sounded like the voice of authority speaking...
Well, I do think that everyone worth 2 cents should be able to Doctor their devices without it being a huge thing... with proper backups, it's a very simple approach that takes a lot less time than trying several things that could/ robably not even fix the problem.

And if the problem is still there after a doctoring, then panic!
Old 01/22/2013, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've doctored my devices countless times, I have never had a situation where I'm at the "panic" stage. The guy has an issue with his device and he wants it fixed and he wants it fixed now. I'm pretty sure...I could be wrong here.... he isn't interested in troubleshooting what's actually wrong with his device....he just wants it working.

Using the webOS Doctor has been a perfectly acceptable means of fixing your device ....up until recently, it seems. WebOS Internals endorsed it, made a wiki for it, provided the links for it....and it works. Personally, I don't get what the big deal is. 20 minutes of reflashing, up to 60 minutes of redownloading, a restore and you're good as new.
Liked by Buddy1969 and Rnp like this.
Thanked By: Buddy1969
Old 01/22/2013, 03:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I've doctored my devices countless times, I have never had a situation where I'm at the "panic" stage. The guy has an issue with his device and he wants it fixed and he wants it fixed now. I'm pretty sure...I could be wrong here.... he isn't interested in troubleshooting what's actually wrong with his device....he just wants it working.

Using the webOS Doctor has been a perfectly acceptable means of fixing your device ....up until recently, it seems. WebOS Internals endorsed it, made a wiki for it, provided the links for it....and it works. Personally, I don't get what the big deal is. 20 minutes of reflashing, up to 60 minutes of redownloading, a restore and you're good as new.
fair point but if he has a LOT of apps to restore, add to that, losing save data from apps then it "could" be a bigger pain doctoring immediately.
Old 01/22/2013, 03:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

My opinion on Doctor is sometimes it's more trouble than hunting down the problem and solving it. We have the facilities to do debugging (logs, Impostah, full file system access), and it's better to know how to deal with the problem so people in the future would know what to do. Depending on the type of problem, Doctoring will just hide the problem. Like, for example, WiFi not connecting. I Doctored my TP twice regarding that, and it did nothing to solve it. Even though I could connect for a while after, I had to go and reinstall everything and set up all the patches again (very annoying, considering I had several games that would take hours to reinstall, and there is no batch installing things in Preware).

Depending on the amount of customization that went into your device, it may be a major hassle to restore everything. And not everything will actually be restored. Many apps that use DB8 will not have their data restored because they're not a part of the backups.

Yes, knowing how to Doctor is SOP, but as I said above, it's equivalent of reinstalling Windows on a PC at any slight problem. I don't know about you, but I'd rather hunt down the problem than sit through a day downloading patches, service packs, apps, and trying to restore my data to their original location. A mobile phone/tablet is still a computer, and with regards to the OS, I treat them the same.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Liked by Rnp and geekpeter like this.
Thanked By: sledge007
Old 01/22/2013, 03:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Yes, knowing how to Doctor is SOP, but as I said above, it's equivalent of reinstalling Windows on a PC at any slight problem. I don't know about you, but I'd rather hunt down the problem than sit through a day downloading patches, service packs, apps, and trying to restore my data to their original location. A mobile phone/tablet is still a computer, and with regards to the OS, I treat them the same.
This.
Old 01/23/2013, 12:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
... he isn't interested in troubleshooting what's actually wrong with his device...
^This is what I tried to say in my posting. I interpret it the same way. If the OP wanted troubleshooting, he would have delivered more info.
Old 01/23/2013, 02:18 AM   #19 (permalink)

Most people don't deliver info unless asked. Those who do have a better clue than to think their TP is infected.
Old 01/23/2013, 07:06 AM   #20 (permalink)

ok. I'm sure many of you know this, but no one has actually said it outright so I will.

I have worked in tech support for quite a few years now. When someone comes up to you and says their computer, or tablet in this case, has a "virus", it just means that it has a problem. This looks like the OP's first post, so he is probably just some guy with a touchpad (bought at the firesale, because it does take a tech genius to recognize a $300 mark down) looking for help.

Soon thereafter the problem either went away or he gave up and bought something else; so then he just forgot about this thread.
xortenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0