webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Help / virus
Help / virus
Like Tree15Likes

Old 01/23/2013, 07:44 AM   #21 (permalink)

Well, regardless, I think that we all agree on the fact that someone coming in, whining about having trouble with jumping with saying that it has to be a virus, but not describing it, no information at all, doesn't return to answer the questions of everyone that is trying to help, is just...

well, what can I say...?

It does show the commitment that we have... at least.

So kudos to all that posted... I think you all deserve a tap on the back!
Old 01/23/2013, 11:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

To me the issue isn't Doctoring and knowing how to Doctor as SOP.

It's not the debate of when to Doctor or when not to.

Honestly, I just want to hear the symptoms... I've heard all along "there is no malware that infects webOS."

That is not a proven absolute. There is no malware that has been recognized. There may or may not be malware out there that affects webOS. It's like Schrodinger's cat: it's a live virus or a dead one - both at the same time. Neither is true until the box is opened and it is observed.

So this poster did not take time to provide details. We lost a chance at observation.

The virus is alive. The virus is dead. Both are still true.

Don't kid yourselves for one second that it can't happen on webOS. People asserting "learned" statements that: "there is no malware on webOS and never will be because it's too small a user base," ignores the basic motivation behind malware. Being malicious. Not all malware is for profit. Some people have grudges. Some just like to do things because they can. Morality is an unknown thing to them. Releasing a virus to infect webOS could be an engineering test. Who knows?

The point is... It could happen and everyone who says 100% there is no way there could ever be malware on webOS is being naive.

Chances are very good the OP had a bug, a conflict between patches or Apps.

Chances are very good that the OP solved everything by Doctoring.

Chances are good that the OP is a consumer who has a device in hand that he just uses without maybe understanding much about how it works.

No answers from him, so we don't know. Chances are good that all is still fine in webOS-land.

But no one looked in that box. The observation was never made...
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by con500 likes this.
Old 01/23/2013, 01:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Rnp

Well, just a mental exercise:

=> If the user came and told about "virus" in webOS without more details, I believe that is not a advanced user;

=> If is not a advanced user, I believe that don't use Preware, patches or DevMode;

=> If don't use Preware and Patches, he have all that can be restored in his Palm Profile (webOS Profile, to purists. );

=> If the profile can restore, Doctor is the most simple solution.

=> If Doctor is the simple solution... why not?

Remembering: Doctor don't erase the USB Drive. So, the information still continue in device.

But... this gives me an question... can we have an "Automatic USB Drive Backup To PC/Mac Solution"? I don't believe that can be so dificult imagine something like that...

If you disagree, clap your hands. If you agree, clap your hands, too!

Best Regards...
Old 01/23/2013, 01:46 PM   #24 (permalink)

2 handy things ive heard of..

never assume, always check
assumption is the mother of all cockups
Old 01/23/2013, 02:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Rnp

Well, I work with the cards that I have in my hand.

"When the life give you lemons... give the fruits to your wife and drink a beer."

Best Regards...
Old 01/24/2013, 01:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
To me the issue isn't Doctoring and knowing how to Doctor as SOP.

It's not the debate of when to Doctor or when not to.

Honestly, I just want to hear the symptoms... I've heard all along "there is no malware that infects webOS."

That is not a proven absolute. There is no malware that has been recognized. There may or may not be malware out there that affects webOS. It's like Schrodinger's cat: it's a live virus or a dead one - both at the same time. Neither is true until the box is opened and it is observed.

So this poster did not take time to provide details. We lost a chance at observation.

The virus is alive. The virus is dead. Both are still true.

Don't kid yourselves for one second that it can't happen on webOS. People asserting "learned" statements that: "there is no malware on webOS and never will be because it's too small a user base," ignores the basic motivation behind malware. Being malicious. Not all malware is for profit. Some people have grudges. Some just like to do things because they can. Morality is an unknown thing to them. Releasing a virus to infect webOS could be an engineering test. Who knows?

The point is... It could happen and everyone who says 100% there is no way there could ever be malware on webOS is being naive.

Chances are very good the OP had a bug, a conflict between patches or Apps.

Chances are very good that the OP solved everything by Doctoring.

Chances are good that the OP is a consumer who has a device in hand that he just uses without maybe understanding much about how it works.

No answers from him, so we don't know. Chances are good that all is still fine in webOS-land.

But no one looked in that box. The observation was never made...
Nice Post
con500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/24/2013, 05:06 AM   #27 (permalink)

If you keep the box closed long enough, you will reach determination ... the cat will have starved to death :P

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0