webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP Touchpad SD Locked in Read Only Mode
HP Touchpad SD Locked in Read Only Mode
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By nlra

Old 01/15/2013, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

So my HP touchpad is locked in read only mode. I am not able to delete apps or files stored on the device they will just show up again on reboot. The read only mode also makes the device unresponsive at times. I did try WebOS Doctor to do a restore but it failed at 12 percent and a message popped up that says the restore was unable to complete the process.

I have read on forms that it is a hardware problem and will need to be repaired. So I was wondering:

1. Does HP still do out of warranty repairs on Touchpads and it is a reasonable cost?
2. If I have to replace parts myself any good place to buy replacement parts?
3. If you have experienced this problem and is not a hardware issue please enlighten me!
leaperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

It'd be useful if you the Doctor log. I think there was some MMC unlocking program in the installer ramdisk.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting I will check the log files tonight to gather more information.
leaperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

write protection is surely not hardware related, did you change anything on the LVM's ?, you can also try Tailor which will show you all the partitions. I had something similar while creating manually partitions for Android
henri_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 12:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like this guy has the same problem, but in his case the changes revert to "brand new" state: Dead Touchpad
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

HI,

Even I am facing the same issue. My TP stuck when playing a corrupted video. From that moment, it is behaving in the same manner. I tried recovering it and it stuck at same 12%. I am from INDIA and there is no way here I can get it repaired...

Any help regards to this is highly appreciated.

thanks.
thenvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

May be the below log can give more info. I tried to update using preware and below is the error I got.

begin
Nothing Interesting.
download
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0
100 2220 100 2220 0 0 2512 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 14605
identify
ca.canucksoftware.js-service-framework
install
{"returnValue":true , "ticket":1, "subscribed":true}
{ "ticket":1 , "status":"STARTING" }
{ "ticket":1 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
{ "ticket":1 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
{ "ticket":1 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
{ "ticket":1 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
completed
Nothing Interesting.
begin
Nothing Interesting.
download
64 105k 64 69504 0 0 62746 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 101k
100 105k 100 105k 0 0 93476 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 146k
identify
ca.canucksoftware.filemgr
install
{"returnValue":true , "ticket":2, "subscribed":true}
{ "ticket":2 , "status":"STARTING" }
{ "ticket":2 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
{ "ticket":2 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
{ "ticket":2 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
{ "ticket":2 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
completed
Nothing Interesting.
begin
Nothing Interesting.
download
100 13138 100 13138 0 0 12685 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 26067
identify
org.webosinternals.ausmt
install
{"returnValue":true , "ticket":3, "subscribed":true}
{ "ticket":3 , "status":"STARTING" }
{ "ticket":3 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
{ "ticket":3 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
{ "ticket":3 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
{ "ticket":3 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
completed
Nothing Interesting.
begin
Nothing Interesting.
prerm
All of the files in the patch are already stock (most likely due to OTA update)
SUCCESS
remove
Removing package org.webosinternals.patches.browser-private-browsing from root...
(offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.browser-private-browsing.prerm)
delete
Nothing Interesting.
removed
Nothing Interesting.
download
100 10160 100 10160 0 0 8434 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 20819
identify
org.webosinternals.patches.browser-private-browsing
install
{"returnValue":true , "ticket":4, "subscribed":true}
{ "ticket":4 , "status":"STARTING" }
{ "ticket":4 , "status":"CREATE_TMP" }
{ "ticket":4 , "status":"VERIFYING" }
{ "ticket":4 , "status":"IPKG_INSTALL" }
{ "ticket":4 , "status":"SUCCESS" }
mkdir-prerm
Nothing Interesting.
install-prerm
Nothing Interesting.
postinst
----------------------------------
Applying text patch
patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/source/ActionBar.js
patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/source/Browser.js
patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/source/BrowserApp.js
patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/source/StartPage.js
patching file usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.browser/source/URLSearch.js
Installing tweaks json file
*** SUCCESS ***
completed
Nothing Interesting.
begin
Nothing Interesting.
failed
-1: Unable to run command: IPKG_OFFLINE_ROOT=/media/cryptofs/apps /bin/sh /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.system-muffle-system-logging.prerm 2>&1
Unreversed patch detected! Ignore -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n]
12 out of 12 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file etc/PmLog.conf.rej
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file etc/PmLogContexts.conf.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file etc/event.d/activitymanager.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file etc/event.d/filecache.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file etc/event.d/keymanager.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file etc/uploadd.conf.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.configurator.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.eas.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.imaccountvalidator.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.imap.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.imlibpurple.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.imyahoo.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.location.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.mmsservice.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.pop.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.skype.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.skypevalidator.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.smsservice.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.smtp.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.stservice.service.rej
Apply anyway? [n]
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.palm.yahoo.service.rej
Old 01/16/2013, 01:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

As usual, logs help. Do you know how to find them?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Thanked By: thenvk
Old 01/17/2013, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

GMMan, does the above log help ?
Old 01/28/2013, 09:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Anyone found a solution? I'm troubleshooting this same problem.
thecellamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenvk View Post
GMMan, does the above log help ?
No, not really. That's from Preware applying a patch, and all it shows is you've already applied the patch or otherwise modified files earlier.
Old 09/05/2013, 04:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sorry to necro this thread, but the OPer appears to still be an active member of MobileNations, so I'm hoping that perhaps (s)he still has the broken TouchPad and might see this post. I made a post to the XDA forums yesterday with a hypothesis about what might be causing these read-only/write-protected TouchPads, and if it is what I think/hope it is, there is the slight possibility of a software fix. People suffering from this issue might perform the check I describe at the end of my post (here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Guide] Factory condition restoration / Downgrade to webOS 3.0.0) and paste the results here.

-- Nathan
nlra is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ArchonAdvisors, bethel95 and Remy X like this.
Old 01/03/2014, 02:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlra View Post
Sorry to necro this thread, but the OPer appears to still be an active member of MobileNations, so I'm hoping that perhaps (s)he still has the broken TouchPad and might see this post. I made a post to the XDA forums yesterday with a hypothesis about what might be causing these read-only/write-protected TouchPads, and if it is what I think/hope it is, there is the slight possibility of a software fix. People suffering from this issue might perform the check I describe at the end of my post (here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [Guide] Factory condition restoration / Downgrade to webOS 3.0.0) and paste the results here.

-- Nathan
Nathan: Thanks for looking in to this issue.

I have tried the above, but no luck. It goes till 12-14% and then says it failed. I am in India and can not even send it to US for RMA.

The problem is Hp tp is write protected from the day it was hanged when playing an in complete torrent video file.
It neither adds/deletes any app, data to it. It gets recognized by the system as a drive.

In fact I formatted it once using windows hoping it will work.. the format was complete but no success.
Old 07/05/2014, 03:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Anyone ever find a solution to this? So frustrating.
asif9t9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2014, 10:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

At this point, since nothing else seems to have worked, install Android using Jcsullins Touchpad Toolbox.
It should take care of the issues but you will no longer have web OS on your TP.
Here is the link to get you started: Touchpad Toolbox - xda-developers
Old 07/06/2014, 12:41 PM   #16 (permalink)

Touchpad Toolbox can not only remove webOS, but also recreate webOS volumes after a 'Complete Data Reset'.
Touchpad Toolbox - Post #64 - XDA
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2014, 04:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaperk View Post
So my HP touchpad is locked in read only mode. I am not able to delete apps or files stored on the device they will just show up again on reboot. The read only mode also makes the device unresponsive at times. I did try WebOS Doctor to do a restore but it failed at 12 percent and a message popped up that says the restore was unable to complete the process.

I have read on forms that it is a hardware problem and will need to be repaired. So I was wondering:

1. Does HP still do out of warranty repairs on Touchpads and it is a reasonable cost?
2. If I have to replace parts myself any good place to buy replacement parts?
3. If you have experienced this problem and is not a hardware issue please enlighten me!
I have the same problem, the following command can make webOS begins again.
But it is no use, because in my case, the phone still blockaded and returns to the previous state. I hope there is solution, oh and is not a hardware problem, it's a software problem.

When you get stuck at 12%, enter the terminal and start it novaterm

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media
dosfsck -a /dev/mapper/store-media

or all togetter

lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure && lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure && mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media && dosfsck -a /dev/mapper/store-media

then restart

My problem is with the pre3, but these commands also served on the touchpad. I would like to know how to unlock the partitions and format them from the beginning. Another problem start after WebOS does not allow hardreset, just restarts.

Last edited by MAMISHO; 07/06/2014 at 04:46 PM.
MAMISHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/06/2014, 09:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

after run webOsDosctor

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> /tmp/do_format_dev_mmcblk0p14.sh not found; running hardcoded stuff

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:10 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "mke2fs -q -j -b4096 -m0 -L /boot /dev/mmcblk0p14 > /dev/null"

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:10 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "tune2fs -i 0 /dev/mmcblk0p14 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null"

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "lvm.static vgchange -ay"

Información: Trenchcoat: File descriptor 3 (/dev/mmcblk0) leaked on lvm.static invocation. Parent PID 1653: sh

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:11 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
Información: Trenchcoat: 8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:11 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
Información: Trenchcoat: File descriptor 3 (/dev/mmcblk0) leaked on lvm.static invocation. Parent PID 1687: sh

Información: Trenchcoat: File descriptor 3 (/dev/mmcblk0) leaked on lvm.static invocation. Parent PID 1689: sh

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Current LVM configuration, 1 volume groups:

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Volume Group 0: name store physicalextentsize 8388608, 8 logical volumes

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Logical Volume 0: name root size 595591168 stripes 1 stripesize 0 chunksize 0

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Logical Volume 1: name var size 67108864 stripes 1 stripesize 0 chunksize 0

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Logical Volume 2: name update size 16777216 stripes 1 stripesize 0 chunksize 0

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Logical Volume 3: name log size 25165824 stripes 1 stripesize 0 chunksize 0

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Logical Volume 4: name mojodb size 150994944 stripes 1 stripesize 0 chunksize 0

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Logical Volume 5: name filecache size 142606336 stripes 1 stripesize 0 chunksize 0

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Logical Volume 6: name media size 5804916736 stripes 1 stripesize 0 chunksize 0

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Logical Volume 7: name swap size 528482304 stripes 1 stripesize 0 chunksize 0

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> LVM configuration not changed

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Using existing LVM configuration

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "lvm.static vgchange -ay store"

Información: Trenchcoat: File descriptor 3 (/dev/mmcblk0) leaked on lvm.static invocation. Parent PID 1691: sh

Información: Trenchcoat: 8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:13 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "/sbin/fsck -a /dev/mapper/store-root"

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:13 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
Información: Trenchcoat: fsck 1.41.4 (27-Jan-2009)

Información: Trenchcoat: /: recovering journal

Información: Trenchcoat: fsck.ext3: unable to set superblock flags on /

Información: Trenchcoat:

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "/sbin/fsck -a /dev/mapper/store-var"

Información: Trenchcoat: /var: recovering journal

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:14 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
Información: Trenchcoat: fsck.ext3: unable to set superblock flags on /var

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:14 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "/sbin/fsck -a /dev/mapper/store-update"

Información: Trenchcoat: /var/lib/update: clean, 13/4096 files, 1166/4096 blocks

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "/sbin/fsck -a /dev/mapper/store-log"

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:15 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:15 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
Información: Trenchcoat: /var/log: recovering journal

Información: Trenchcoat: fsck.ext3: unable to set superblock flags on /var/log

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:16 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
Información: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> Unable to handle LV mojodb

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:16 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint

Información: Trenchcoat: <INFO> Running "lvm.static vgchange -an store"

Información: Trenchcoat: File descriptor 3 (/dev/mmcblk0) leaked on lvm.static invocation. Parent PID 1726: sh

Información: Trenchcoat: 0 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active

Información: Trenchcoat: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed

Información: Trenchcoat: Broken pipe

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:16 AM com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomSocketStream logWarning
WARNING: SocketException Cmd: file:///sbin/trenchcoat
Información: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed

Información: trenchcoat retries exhausted

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:16 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
WARNING: Flash Failure
Trenchcoat error: <ERROR> CPU-specific initialization failed
at com.palm.nova.installer.core.stages.TrenchcoatStage.run(TrenchcoatStage.java:104)
at com.palm.nova.installer.core.FlasherThread.run(FlasherThread.java:472)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

Jul 07, 2014 4:31:16 AM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController postFlashEvent
Información: Flash End time (Fail) 1404700276932
Jul 07, 2014 4:31:16 AM com.palm.nova.installer.core.RdxUtils saveLogs
Información: from /var/folders/kr/c3yrh33527z23w2r2s9szm6r0000gn/T/PalmWebOsRecoveryToolLog0.log.0.lck
Información: to /var/folders/kr/c3yrh33527z23w2r2s9szm6r0000gn/T/palmInstallerError0.log

and I'm still stuck here, I'm in February looking for a solution I miss my pre3
MAMISHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0