webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP Touchpad "Error Restoring Data"
HP Touchpad "Error Restoring Data"

Old 01/15/2013, 12:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

So yesterday I unfortunately allowed my touchpad to drain dry so I charged it over night. When I woke up my touchpad was on the initial set up screen. No big deal but when sign into my account it gives me an "Error Restoring Data" message right away. I have read the post Touchpad setup - Error Restoring Data - help but I not get an option to skip sign in, only sign into and existing account or create a new account. I tried creating a new account to see if it will start up and it does but I want to be able to log into my original account since I bought a couple of apps. Anyone know what I can do? I am going to try to webos doctor it, and if that fails I am going to log into a new account then wipe the touchpad.
Side note that I am not sure is important or not, but for a while I have been unable to access the hp app store.

Last edited by 3FLi; 01/15/2013 at 06:56 PM.
3FLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

You should check online to see if your device is still registered to your webOS Profile.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 02:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

The touchpad is still registered to my original account after I deleted it off my old account and tried again to sign in on the touchpad using my original account but still getting the "Error Restoring Data" message.
I am trying to webos doctor the touchpad now but I am not sure if webos doctor froze or is working since it is on a black screen right now. I was on step 5 of Palm Support : TouchPad (Wi-Fi) - Using HP webOS Doctor when it was checking my battery (which was at least 80%) and then went to a black screen

edit: I have no idea why but webos doctor is not working. I charged it to over 30% and it gets to the reset phase but after 8% it stops and says the device can not be reset. Anyone know what I can do to get my account back on my touchpad? I am going to try a factory reset now with the second account I made. Hope this works

P.S. I am using webosdoctorp305hstnhwifi.jar that I downloaded from http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...ions#Wifi_Only

Last edited by 3FLi; 01/15/2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01/15/2013, 09:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Any assistance would be great appreciated I have read numerous post and site about webos doctor and bricked touchpads but I don't fully understand it. I think the 8% hang up might be solved here How To Recover - WebOS Internals but I don't understand the instructions on "memboot the device using the installer uImage"

I already security reset my touchpad using access through a new profile but that has not solved the problem of being able to set up the touchpad with my original profile that has all my apps connected to it.

How can I completely wipe my touchpad and get my original profile attached to it?
Old 01/15/2013, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

you could change your profile with impostah, did you try that?
henri_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 10:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

I was reading up on impostah and Device Profile Service Override but I honestly couldn't figure out how to do it.
Sorry for being such a noob

Also I now think I to preform a full doctor wipe.

I decided to just use my secondary profile so I could at least surf the web but trouble stuck again. After updating the catalog to the new version, it stopped working. After that I put it to sleep with the power button and it failed to instantly turn back on. When it did and I unlocked it, the screen froze requiring me to hard restart it. Once it restarted it once again started up on the initial set up screen.

I think that somehow a part of the operating system got corrupted.

Could someone PLEASE tell me how I can get past 8% to totally wipe my touchpad and restore it to its original state?
I loved my touchpad and am very sad it no longer works.
Thanks for any suggestions on what I can do

edit: Currently trying HP Touchpad webOS doctor gets stuck at 8% wish me luck

Last edited by 3FLi; 01/15/2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10/28/2013, 12:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm getting this same issue. I bought my TP on ebay, it came with an account from USA. I set up a "Secure complete erase" which took quite a long time. After that, a sort of First Use appeared and I tried to log in using the account I have on my Pre 3. After the bar loads a bit, it says "Error restoring data". No matter how many times I tap "try again", it doesn't go further a certain, little limit.
What can I do to link my phone account to my "new" TouchPad? It's not truly necessary, but I'd like to.
Old 10/28/2013, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebOSLloyd View Post
I'm getting this same issue. I bought my TP on ebay, it came with an account from USA. I set up a "Secure complete erase" which took quite a long time. After that, a sort of First Use appeared and I tried to log in using the account I have on my Pre 3. After the bar loads a bit, it says "Error restoring data". No matter how many times I tap "try again", it doesn't go further a certain, little limit.
What can I do to link my phone account to my "new" TouchPad? It's not truly necessary, but I'd like to.
Two questions:
1. Is your TouchPad a normal Touchpad or is it a Touchpad 4G
2. In case it is not a Touchpad 4G, what does you know about it? There are Demo Units out there which doesn't support normal Accounts.

Can you create a new Account and login?
Gwidion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/28/2013, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I had to run it 4 times when I just restored a touchpad
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/30/2013, 02:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

Meh, I finally decided to skip data restoring. TP asked me if I wanted to create another account or go through autentication without restoring contacts and such things, I chose the latter...
By the way, mine's a Wi-Fi only, 32 GB TouchPad with 3.0.5.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0