webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > touchpad lights up mysteriously??
touchpad lights up mysteriously??
Like Tree3Likes

Old 01/12/2013, 03:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

last night I was reading a book in my room when my touchpad lights up for no reason at all. Anyone experienced this? I did not feel any vibration nor there was any dialog box that came up
scaredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 04:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Probably notification of some sort. Could be the charge complete notification, if you had it plugged in.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2013, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredstiff View Post
last night I was reading a book in my room when my touchpad lights up for no reason at all. Anyone experienced this? I did not feel any vibration nor there was any dialog box that came up
I have had this happen to me as well but no notifications and not charging. Just a strange thing only happened once that I remember.
redrum0036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2013, 03:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

Its the ghost in the machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkGD2QrkXMk

Last edited by Firepower; 01/13/2013 at 03:19 AM.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by redrum0036, carancha and boovish like this.
Thanked By: redrum0036
Old 01/13/2013, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Yea I'll be looking out for that ghost..pretty funny
Old 01/13/2013, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum0036 View Post
Yea I'll be looking out for that ghost..pretty funny
What time is Backup scheduled? Same time as the Apparition?

WyreNut
Old 01/13/2013, 02:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyreNut View Post
What time is Backup scheduled? Same time as the Apparition?

WyreNut
That's actually a good point i will look into that
Old 01/13/2013, 06:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

this has happened to me many times and mine will actually stay on and drain the battery with the lock screen up. it usually happens after i click the power button and set it down within 10 seconds it magically comes back on, very annoying.
ascMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have the same, especially when it's booted into Android. Remarkably, when I switch off the wifi it stops..so it should be some app checking connection
henri_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 04:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

mine gets to 100% Charged then lights up (on the touchstone) if I hit power button it switches the screen off, however it switches back on after a minute or so...One thing I notices is the time the screen is on seems proportianal to however long it stays off by hitting power...So at 100%, Screen comes alive...If I leave it say' 2 minutes then hit power it will stay OFF for same time (2 mins) But if I hit power as soon as screen lights up it turns off but turns back on in a few seconds.
I wonder if at the 100% mark it is going through a kind of mini cycle...Like' screen on=slight discharge Then power button turns screen off only to switch back on at full charge (100%)

Very confusing and all of this happens while it sits on the Touchstone and always reads 100%
For me its both cm9 and webos
con500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 09:37 AM   #11 (permalink)

I've noticed that it happens when the TP loses WiFi connection for a moment and then regains it.
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 09:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
I've noticed that it happens when the TP loses WiFi connection for a moment and then regains it.
there is an option in Webos to switch off the wifi if the screen is dark, this solved the issue for me in webos, but in Android it doesn't work (yet)
henri_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 01:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri_p View Post
I have the same, especially when it's booted into Android. Remarkably, when I switch off the wifi it stops..so it should be some app checking connection
could this be a spyware sending logged passwords? I download and run lots of stuff on my touchpad
mrrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Unlikely, if you only download from the Play Store.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 02:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

If you have any of the weather notification widgets installed, it will light up the screen each time they check for a weather update.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 05:33 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Unlikely, if you only download from the Play Store.
not using android.. But I do install developer apps from lots of sources and sometimes I am too excited to care if they are from verified sources..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
If you have any of the weather notification widgets installed, it will light up the screen each time they check for a weather update.
I don't do back up or have widgets.. But thanks
mrrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/10/2013, 04:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Since i last posted on this thread i have managed to narrow my issue down to a deffinite issue with the way my TP charges. I now can avoid the TP coming ON at 100%. I now have to have my TP to "Not" sit central on its touchstone. When it is centred on touchstone the pad will come on at 100% and no matter how many times i hit the power button to switch to standby...it continued to switch screen back on after a minute or so.

Now i have my TP sitting a little off centre (more to the left) and weirdly the TP stays off while on its touchstone. I can only assume 'my' touchpad has some battery/charging niggles
But it seems to be working ok using the above method.
Old 03/10/2013, 09:03 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by con500 View Post
Since i last posted on this thread i have managed to narrow my issue down to a deffinite issue with the way my TP charges. I now can avoid the TP coming ON at 100%. I now have to have my TP to "Not" sit central on its touchstone. When it is centred on touchstone the pad will come on at 100% and no matter how many times i hit the power button to switch to standby...it continued to switch screen back on after a minute or so.

Now i have my TP sitting a little off centre (more to the left) and weirdly the TP stays off while on its touchstone. I can only assume 'my' touchpad has some battery/charging niggles
But it seems to be working ok using the above method.
Sounds like it's going into Exhibition Mode but there is no app set for it to go to.

-Koa-
KoaFeliciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2013, 03:54 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaFeliciano View Post
Sounds like it's going into Exhibition Mode but there is no app set for it to go to.

-Koa-
It triggers exhibition mode clock when i drop it on the touchstone and if i hit the power button the screen turns off however after a minute or so it fires back up to the exhibition mode clock. But like i said if i position the TP slightly off centre i dont have the issue and the TP continues to charge.
I know it cant be a software issue as the same thing happens in both webos and cm9. However keeping it off centre seems to be doing the trick for now. So all is good...for now
Old 04/03/2013, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Any more ideas? My issue is quite random, and it lights up no matter the percentage left in the device (not charging). There's no prompt and I turned the Backup off. I came across this thread and now I am super worried

Virus? Touchpad uploading large amounts of data morning and afternoon.

Could it be uploading my files in the touchpad and/or key log files (that's why it lights up?)

I also came across this

help! A virus on my touch pad!
scaredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0