webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Office apps - questions
Office apps - questions
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By polaris_silvertree
  • 1 Post By Vistaus

Old 01/02/2013, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi

1. QuickOffice:
• It’s a Flat Folder app.
I have hundreds of Files in different Folders and for ex all my .pdf or .doc files show app in the same folder, making this very difficult to find files.
I might have the Same File Name (but different Content) in different Folders so I do not know what file belongs to what folder.
• Also most File Names appear Truncated at the Beginning making difficult to know what files they are.
• Microsoft Word docs (.doc) when Opened, do not display the Header of the Page Number or How Many Pages in the doc.

2. Internalz Pro
Doesn’t open PowerPoint (.pps) files.
I open them with QuickOffice, but again that’s a Flat Folder app and not friendly to navigate.
Can I somehow link Internalz Pro to QuickOffice?

3. Adobe Reader: any app to Edit or at least to enter Sticker Notes?

4. A Better Office app
Any recommendation for a better Office app?
Somebody mentioned Office Pro but doing a search on the app site App Gallery | webOS Nation
for ‘office’ or ‘quickOffice’ or ‘officePro’ didn’t yield any results.

Thanks a lot for any help
amis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

i started using the native webOS app solutions, however i bought the HP BT keyboard hoping they would operate like using a desktop computer, however they do not, often still requiring some input via touchscreen even with the physical keyboard present.

nowadays i just use Libre Office from within UbuntuChroot as that does behave properly with a keyboard (shame a wifi or bluetooth mouse is currently unuseable but its still a good solution), and best of all its free and pretty much identical to microsuck office or openoffice.
Old 01/02/2013, 03:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think the consensus hands down is Picsel's Smart Office for webOS. I use it and unlike Quick Office, actually maintains the formating for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint much better than anything else out there for the Touchpad. I still use it in meetings and in presentations I give.
polaris_silvertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 01/02/2013, 08:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris_silvertree View Post
I think the consensus hands down is Picsel's Smart Office for webOS. I use it and unlike Quick Office, actually maintains the formating for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint much better than anything else out there for the Touchpad. I still use it in meetings and in presentations I give.
geekpeter and polaris,
many thanks for your reply.

I found Smart Office on my TP and it looks good, showing Folders, Change Pages while in Zoom, Headers & Footers etc.

I don't know why Smart Office doesn't appear in App Gallery | webOS Nation when I do a search?

Thanks again
Old 01/02/2013, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amis123 View Post
I don't know why Smart Office doesn't appear in App Gallery | webOS Nation when I do a search?
It's not a homebrew app, and official App Catalog apps won't show up on there.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
It's not a homebrew app, and official App Catalog apps won't show up on there.
why wouldn't Smart Office show up on the official App Gallery or 'Catalog Apps' if it shows up on my TP?

Also it's hard to find a Homebrew App because there are many and the Apps are not listed per Category and the List cannot be be Sorted per Date or other criteria.
Old 01/02/2013, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

App Gallery is not linked to (and further, is not) the official App Catalog, so unless the developer manually lists it there, you won't find it. Use App Catalog for official apps, and Preware for everything else. If you'd like to see them both on a single list, get and register App Tuckerbox.

In Preware there are sort buttons on the bottom when viewing a list of apps. It's more preferable to find apps via Preware. Preware is to App Gallery as what the on device App Catalog is to the online App Catalog preview.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 01/02/2013, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
i started using the native webOS app solutions, however i bought the HP BT keyboard hoping they would operate like using a desktop computer, however they do not, often still requiring some input via touchscreen even with the physical keyboard present.

nowadays i just use Libre Office from within UbuntuChroot as that does behave properly with a keyboard (shame a wifi or bluetooth mouse is currently unuseable but its still a good solution), and best of all its free and pretty much identical to microsuck office or openoffice.
GMMan
You probably mean Preware on my TP, not on my Desktop?

I did find the Apps on Preware on my TP but for instance I couldn't find ex. Internalz Pro when searched.
Old 01/03/2013, 12:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
GMMan
You probably mean Preware on my TP, not on my Desktop?

I did find the Apps on Preware on my TP but for instance I couldn't find ex. Internalz Pro when searched.
Yes, I did mean Preware. It beats any online interface for finding homebrew. If you're trying to find Internalz Pro on the gallery, you can't because that's in the WebOS Internals apps feed, which is separate from the gallery feeds.
Old 01/03/2013, 05:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I highly recommend Picsel Smart Office from the App Catalogue.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 01/03/2013, 07:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rnp

Picsel. I use and endorse.

Best Regards...
Old 01/04/2013, 02:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Hi

I would like to read Hebrew docs but Smart Office doesn't do this.

I am able to read Hebrew using QuickOffice.

Maybe because I did install an app called plqaD/Hebrew from Hebrew and pIqaD on the HP TouchPad « Wizage.

So, I do read Hebrew in QuickOffice but when I open with Smart Office, it shows giberish.

Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks a lot
Old 01/08/2013, 03:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

The main reason I have Ubuntu installed on my touchpad is because libre office (open office) will preserve all edits/formats in word, excel, and powerpoint files. It does footnotes, comments, and everything. Much better than Picsel smart office or quick office, both of which I use occasionally for small documents. But for anything complex, Libre Office is the only full-featured office suite available on the touchpad.
bowportes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2013, 09:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Is the quickoffice app broken for everyone else?
redrum0036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2013, 04:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

why should QuickOffice suddenly be broken?
Old 01/16/2013, 09:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi

I would like to read Hebrew docs but Smart Office doesn't do this.

I am able to read Hebrew using QuickOffice.

Maybe because I did install an app called plqaD/Hebrew from Hebrew and pIqaD on the HP TouchPad « Wizage.

So, I do read Hebrew in QuickOffice but when I open with Smart Office, it shows giberish.

Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks a lot
I've seen patches in preware helping with hebrew on webos ...check it out...
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2013, 06:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quickoffice on my Pre3 was unable to open any files, so I deleted it. I thaught I would restore it from App Catalog. But now I do not find Quickoffice on App Catalog.

What to do? Any clues?
Old 02/02/2013, 09:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdesai View Post
Quickoffice on my Pre3 was unable to open any files, so I deleted it. I thaught I would restore it from App Catalog. But now I do not find Quickoffice on App Catalog.

What to do? Any clues?
SOLVED. Here is the solution:
Help! Accidentally deleted QuickOffice, how to reinstall? - HP Support Forum - 2107682

it worked magically.

However Quickoffice is not adding accounts now!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0