webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Run Web-Os doctor from a thumb drive .
Run Web-Os doctor from a thumb drive .
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By GMMan

Old 01/01/2013, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

I was wondering haw hard would it be to run Web-Os doctor off a thumb drive ? A portable app so to speak . Sometimes when i travel i dont have the time to download but would have time to run it off a thumb drive . Just curious , thanks.
bowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2013, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah, that works, as long as the host computer has the proper version of Java installed.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2013, 10:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

you can run Java off a thumb drive you know .
Old 01/03/2013, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

So you would need a Doctor for deviceX, a Java installer and the Universal Novacom Installer on a USB stick?

I could maybe see the benefits...

But why are you needing a Doctor away from home so often? I suppose it would be a good toolkit if you were a traveling repair service for others.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/03/2013, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
But why are you needing a Doctor away from home so often? I suppose it would be a good toolkit if you were a traveling repair service for others.
I wonder that too. If you're prone to Doctoring for every somewhat nontrivial problem, you're overdoing it. (I did write that piece about why you shouldn't Doctor.)
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/05/2013, 01:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

I was at my inlaws when a hard reset turned into a full reset somehow, I was just showing some photos and had some that were there, but not showing up , and they have no internet . They do have a computer .Yes they live in the hills , 5 miles from town . I do keep a thumb drive of portable apps and got to thinking if this would be possible. I don't doctor it as a rule but I wished I had access to it so to make it a clean reset , even though I could not restore anything without internet . But I saw a comment about wether Doctor would always be available . So it is a thought , but what other tools could be put on a drive to assist in any issues that could pop up ?
Old 01/05/2013, 02:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

I see. It's not really running Doctor from a flash drive, but sneakernetting it.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 01/06/2013, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

And ours would be the only operating system that this could be done with . Bragging rights .Or how about installing preware from a thumb drive ?
Old 01/06/2013, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think there's an installer at Preware.org.... download it
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0