Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 1 Post By Herrie
  • 3 Post By Garfonso
  1.    #1  
    Is it possible to get text (sms) messaging to work on the 4g without tethering to a phone? For example could the messaging app be extracted from a Pre phone and installed on the Touchpad?
    Happy New Year.
    Richard
  2. #2  
    Technically you could extract the 2.2.4 messaging app, give it a new app-id so it doesn't overwrite the stock TP one and install it. Not sure you can send SMS then though. Never bothered with SMS on my TP 4G to be honest.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  3. #3  
    There is 'restriction' in TIL library (on Touchpad) preventing SMS sending/receiving - ie you not only need patch JSJSJS $code$ $but$ $also$ $native$ $arm$ $code$.

    Modem/firmware is perfectly capable of sending/receiving text messages; If you have phone capable of sending Class 0 messages (FlashSMS) you can test it yourself - just send Class 0 SMS to yout TP and will be displayed as notification popup. If you send regular message it will be received by device BUT TRASHED AWAY by TIL (you can see all relevant info in til.log file)
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
    There is 'restriction' in TIL library (on Touchpad) preventing SMS sending/receiving - ie you not only need patch JSJSJS $code$ $but$ $also$ $native$ $arm$ $code$.

    Modem/firmware is perfectly capable of sending/receiving text messages; If you have phone capable of sending Class 0 messages (FlashSMS) you can test it yourself - just send Class 0 SMS to yout TP and will be displayed as notification popup. If you send regular message it will be received by device BUT TRASHED AWAY by TIL (you can see all relevant info in til.log file)
    Can a patch for the JSJSJS $code$ $and$ $the$ $native$ $arm$ $code$ $be$ $created$ $and$ $implemented$? $Or$ $is$ $a$ $complete$ $recompile$ $necessary$?

    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
  5. #5  
    Theoretically you should be able to byte patch the compiled arm code. It will probably only require a few bytes to be patched. Similar way is/was used for cracking regular pc programs to allow any registration code in order to register for example. I made some of these myself in the past ;-) A good disassembler for ARM and understanding of assembly should do the trick probably. I doubt that the binaries have some checksum inside. If somebody has some pointers where to look for the TIL binaries and the exact entry in the logfiles I might have a look sometime next week :-)

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 01/05/2013 at 05:17 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    siobhanellis likes this.
  6.    #6  
    This sounds promising - thank you for taking the time to investigate further.

    I have Android installed and it works very well but I find that I use WEBOS most of the time as it ticks all the boxes for me (Except the ability to text) SMS capability would make it complete!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rjt830 View Post
    This sounds promising - thank you for taking the time to investigate further.

    I have Android installed and it works very well but I find that I use WEBOS most of the time as it ticks all the boxes for me (Except the ability to text) SMS capability would make it complete!
    Just wondered if anyone had played around with this yet?
  8. #8  
    If someone can send me the log of a rejected SMS by TIL I could have a go at this...

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  9. #9  
    Class 0 (flash message is displayed as pop-up notification and can be stored in messaging app):
    Code:
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.340859Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.LOG}: ilATCmd::logEvt <<<<< Event +CMT: ,26
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.341532Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::NotifyNewSmsMsg Tablet detected
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.341989Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::NotifyNewSmsMsg Total seg 1 Seg num 1  messageId 1358681165 encoding 1 msgLength 12 
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.389027Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: [NFY] smsNotification 0x436b8 uri luna://com.palm.smsservice/newSms
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.416497Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: [CMD] responseCallBack 0x2c00d1d8 {"returnValue":true}
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.741004Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: [CMD] SmsRcvdAckFromMessaging 0x2c00d1d8 {"response":"class0 message notification successfully sent","returnValue":true}
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.741271Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::SmsRcvdAckFromMessaging Got Sms Rsp 1 msgRef 1358681165 
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.767158Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::SmsRcvdAckFromMessaging Rows deleted 1 
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.855199Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: [CMD] displayStatusNotification 0x2c00d1d8 {"returnValue":true,"event":"displayOn"}
    Normal SMS:
    Code:
    2013-01-20T11:30:39.929049Z [851] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.LOG}: ilATCmd::logEvt <<<<< Event +CMT: ,20
    2013-01-20T11:30:39.929551Z [851] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::NotifyNewSmsMsg Tablet detected
    2013-01-20T11:30:39.931047Z [851] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::NotifyNewSmsMsg Dropping message because it's not a class 0
  10. #10  
    I'm sure the OP is aware, but text messaging works in android on a 4g touchpad. Its one of the only things I actually do with android on my 4g..well, that and google currents and play Max Payne!
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by artxxork View Post
    Class 0 (flash message is displayed as pop-up notification and can be stored in messaging app):
    Code:
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.340859Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.LOG}: ilATCmd::logEvt <<<<< Event +CMT: ,26
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.341532Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::NotifyNewSmsMsg Tablet detected
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.341989Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::NotifyNewSmsMsg Total seg 1 Seg num 1  messageId 1358681165 encoding 1 msgLength 12 
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.389027Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: [NFY] smsNotification 0x436b8 uri luna://com.palm.smsservice/newSms
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.416497Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: [CMD] responseCallBack 0x2c00d1d8 {"returnValue":true}
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.741004Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: [CMD] SmsRcvdAckFromMessaging 0x2c00d1d8 {"response":"class0 message notification successfully sent","returnValue":true}
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.741271Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::SmsRcvdAckFromMessaging Got Sms Rsp 1 msgRef 1358681165 
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.767158Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::SmsRcvdAckFromMessaging Rows deleted 1 
    2013-01-20T11:26:07.855199Z [579] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: [CMD] displayStatusNotification 0x2c00d1d8 {"returnValue":true,"event":"displayOn"}
    Normal SMS:
    Code:
    2013-01-20T11:30:39.929049Z [851] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.LOG}: ilATCmd::logEvt <<<<< Event +CMT: ,20
    2013-01-20T11:30:39.929551Z [851] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::NotifyNewSmsMsg Tablet detected
    2013-01-20T11:30:39.931047Z [851] webos-device user.notice PmWsfDaemon: {TIL.IPC}: LunaInterfaceSms::NotifyNewSmsMsg Dropping message because it's not a class 0
    Seems like the message is called from usr/lib/libTelephonyInterfaceLayer.so

    I'll have a look into it in more details to see if I can patch it somehow
    renater likes this.
  12.    #12  
    Bump

    Any progress in sms for webos on the 4g?
  13. #13  
    You should be able to send and receive txts with google voice.
    Just call me Berd.
  14. #14  
    Did herrie find time to look into that, yet?
    Rnp, TopTongueBarry and renater like this.
  15. #15  
    Bump

    anyone (Herrie?) had time to look into it?

    UW
    Handspring Visor -> Palm Centro -> HP Pre 3 / HP TP 4G -> amazon fire phone 64GB
  16. #16  
    Not yet, should have a look sometime, but didn't have much time due to apartment renovation project
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2

Posting Permissions