webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > What can I do with the Touchpad?
What can I do with the Touchpad?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
  • 1 Post By etphoto
  • 1 Post By getsun
  • 1 Post By geekpeter

Old 12/28/2012, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello

I used to be a webOS fan, but I moved to WP, so Iīm not up to date with webOS. Iīve read some stuff about Enyo, but I still have no clue whatīs it about.

The thing is, I bought my father over a year ago a Touchpad and I would like to know whatīs there new that I could do with it besides installing android. The Touchpad has Homebrew and Govnah installed, and I think the firmware is 3.05 (the other day I tried to search for updates, but it wouldnīt let me, it didnīt work)

Thanks for the help
pantiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 02:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

The most immediate things I can think of are installing Isis and one of the few homebrew Google Maps choices. Other than that, I don't think there are any major developments with regards to apps. From what I see it's mostly a developer's platform, if someone wants to develop for it, because apps aren't coming out too much and if the only thing users are waiting for are apps, they will get bored fast.

Then again, a number of people got new Pre3's, so webOS is still good as a phone.

Edit: As several others mentioned, LunaCE was one of the big developments. Not sure how I missed that. Maybe it's because I've been using it for a few months and never thought it was "different" from the regular Luna, but what Luna should always have been.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor

Last edited by GMMan; 12/28/2012 at 09:21 PM.
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Heather Carlos likes this.
Thanked By: Heather Carlos
Old 12/28/2012, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

LunaCE in the Beta Feeds is very worthwhile, IMHO (link in my signature). It really makes the cards come alive.

What is it you want to get out of TouchPad? If it is play a bunch of time waster games then you could always add a CyanogenMod Android dual boot to the device...

Productivity? Maybe spring for Picsel Smart Office...

Entertainment? The Plex App is pretty good and allows you to stream media from your PC via the home network. Handbrake converts most every format to the one native to TP...

eReader? There is the Kindle Beta that comes with 3.0.5 and you can read off the cloud or install pReader and sideload books in a whole lot of supported formats.

Music Player? Load it up with mp3 files and enjoy. Check out the Sldeshow App (I think there are still promo codes available: http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...-giveaway.html and you can set it to play music over slides of your favorite pictures even in exhibition mode...

More of your goals would help others steer you in the right direction.

You should be able to do almost anything as a general category of use. It's some specifics that you might not get. You never know until you search for workarounds.

Your question lacks the focus to really allow us to help you: "What can I do with the TouchPad?" Quite a lot actually...

So we need to know: "What do you want to do with your TouchPad?

Last edited by RumoredNow; 12/28/2012 at 03:22 PM.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the answers guys

RumoredNow, you are right. He basically uses the Touchpad for email, surfing the web and playing card games.

But I was wondering if some kind of special development had come along lately, something beyond apps, more on the OS side, even the OS itself now that is open source.

He uses it quite often and enjoys it quite a lot, so it pretty much covers his needs as it is.
Old 12/28/2012, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

LunaCE is a big imrovement. Good for power users.

When i make the jump i am leaning toward wp8. Have you had any regrets with wp?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/28/2012, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

As mentioned above, LunaCE with the expanded notifications :

http://www.webosnation.com/dash-weat...ification-area
getsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/28/2012, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

if hes a bit tek savvy, theres ubuntu as well.
Old 12/29/2012, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
if hes a bit tek savvy, theres ubuntu as well.
I'd probably go the Ubuntu route myself before CyanogenMod...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

i dust mine
TimN2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2012, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantiko View Post
Hello

I used to be a webOS fan, but I moved to WP, so Iīm not up to date with webOS. Iīve read some stuff about Enyo, but I still have no clue whatīs it about.

The thing is, I bought my father over a year ago a Touchpad and I would like to know whatīs there new that I could do with it besides installing android. The Touchpad has Homebrew and Govnah installed, and I think the firmware is 3.05 (the other day I tried to search for updates, but it wouldnīt let me, it didnīt work)

Thanks for the help
you can give it to me. lmao try installing the WhatsApp app for webOS.
SamsungGalaxyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2012, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

I still use mine daily. Morning devotions, word processing, news, etc. There are also lots of games that I installed originally that I'm just now getting around to playing. To me, it's like having a car for a few years. There are newer (more expensive) cars that have new features, but I'll keep driving my old one and keeping it in good shape for a long time.
Fisack23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2012, 01:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
LunaCE is a big imrovement. Good for power users.

When i make the jump i am leaning toward wp8. Have you had any regrets with wp?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

WP is great. Of course Iīd love it had some webOS stuff implemented, like the cards and gestures, but it isnīt going to happen. Still, WP is pretty nice, functional and pleasant to use and see.

I moved from a Pre2 (had a Pre originally) to a Lumia 800 because there were some apps I really needed, like whatsapp, and a better camera, otherwise I wouldīve stayed with webOS.

And if I had to recommend a brand for WP I can only talk about Nokia. Great brand, with great stuff. I really like the Nokia Drive app, specially when used with data connection, is one heck of a navigator.
Old 12/30/2012, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

You can do a lot but not the amount of things you can do on say an Ipad or an Asus Eepad Transformer.
Eantheman is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0