webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Proxy Address for US Radio Stations
Proxy Address for US Radio Stations
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Semma2

Old 12/22/2012, 08:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Recently my favourite radio station (Xrock South Dakota) started blocking my access because I have a Canadian IP address.
Is there a proxy service that will work with the TP?
BTW I used to listen to it both on the browser and the app TuneIn, but neither of them work now.
tracks914 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

On my PC I currently use Hotspot Shield. They have apps for IOS and Andriod but not WebOS. Is there any way to get it to work for us? Is there any homebrew app that might do this? I'm not trying to steal anything just hate being blocked form the "free internet" :-(
tracks914 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 11:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

You would need a VPN with PPTP or OpenVPN support, minimum cost around $25/year. The TP supports PPTP VPNs (download the free add-on from the app store), and I think it supports OpenVPN too with a Preware app.

The DNS redirection services are easier to use, but since they have to add support for each streaming service individually, I'm afraid one little radio station in South Dakota is too small to be supported (I did a quick check - no dice).

There is a way to do it with a PC-based VPN like Hotspot Shield, using your PC as a gateway. You need two network connections on your PC (such as one ethernet and one wireless). One you use for the VPN, and the other as a local peer-to-peer connection to your TP, and you bridge them so that all internet requests from the TP get passed through your PC and onto the PC-hosted VPN. But most people find that to be too much trouble to go to for casual use.
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by VTBeemer likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0