webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > tp turns on then quits charging
tp turns on then quits charging
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan

Old 12/12/2012, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

i got my tp off cl and i got it to charge one time. Now my problem is getting it to charge again. I plug in the charger and it starts to charge, it shows the battery symbol with the lightning bolt the powers itself up, then it quits charging. The person i got the tp from did not have the charger so i plugged the usb into another tablet charger and thats how i got it to charge the first time. I have tried all sorts of button dancing and nothing has helped me thus far. Has anyone else expierienced this charging issue? If so how did you fix it? I have tried 15 different usb cables and i know the charger works. i am willing to try anything at this point.
bigbitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

You need the original charger or a cable mod. The original charger has the data lines shorted so the TP knows it's connecting to a charger capable of providing 2 amps. Right now it won't charge because it's only using 500 mA, which is not enough to keep everything going. You should avoid turning on the tablet until you have the proper charging technology.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/12/2012, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
You need the original charger or a cable mod. The original charger has the data lines shorted so the TP knows it's connecting to a charger capable of providing 2 amps. Right now it won't charge because it's only using 500 mA, which is not enough to keep everything going. You should avoid turning on the tablet until you have the proper charging technology.
ny tablet requires the higher output charger, i do know this. It is not a 500ma or 750ma charger you would find with a cell phone. But thanks.
Old 12/12/2012, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

The original charger for the TouchPad is 2A, so I should try to find a 2A USB charger.

Here is someone selling a TP charger. Looks original: HP Touchpad 5V 2A USB AC Adapter | eBay

and another one:
New Genuine HP LPS AC DC Adapter 157 101157 00 5 3V 2A USB Charger Power Supply | eBay
Jozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

the charger i am using is a 2a charger for another tablet
Old 12/17/2012, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbitty View Post
the charger i am using is a 2a charger for another tablet
The TouchPad MUST be plugged into the HP TouchPad Barrel charger which is rated at 5.3V 2.0Amps. This charger has unique configuration on the Data+ and Data- pins which is identified by the TouchPad before the TouchPad will charge at its full charging rate.

If plugged into any other 5V source, the TouchPad "may" trickle charge at < 500mA so if left plugged in and switched Off, it may charge over a 24 hour period.
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

so a 5v 2a charger isnt good enough?
Old 12/17/2012, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

The point being made is that it's not just your charger, but the cable.

Regular phone chargers typically work, but the tablet will not seem as if it is charging and it will take longer for it to charge.
marquezr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2012, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquezr22 View Post
The point being made is that it's not just your charger, but the cable.

Regular phone chargers typically work, but the tablet will not seem as if it is charging and it will take longer for it to charge.
Actually, no, it is the charger. It doesn't matter what rating the charger is. If its USB pins aren't hooked up a certain way, the tablet isn't going to draw more than 500mA. If it was the cable, you'd have the tablet trying to draw 2A from your computer.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/28/2012, 12:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

where do i find the right cable for it?
Old 12/28/2012, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbitty View Post
where do i find the right cable for it?
The cable doesn't matter. Look for something like this: Kmashi New 10W 5V AC DC Power Supply Charger Adapter for HP Touchpad FB341AA ABA | eBay (note: link provided for illustration purposes only; no guarantees if the item is OEM or aftermarket. Looks like OEM, though).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0