webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Location services in Australia
Location services in Australia

Old 12/11/2012, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello Gang
Maps on my TouchPad is very skewed, adding about 6 degrees North to my real location and putting me in NSW desert. But I am in Melbourne.
Is it really so ****ty for all aussies or just my particular specimen having issues?

What about other parts of the world, is it working all right in the northern hemisphere at least?
cubeover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 04:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubeover View Post
Hello Gang
Maps on my TouchPad is very skewed, adding about 6 degrees North to my real location and putting me in NSW desert. But I am in Melbourne.
Is it really so ****ty for all aussies or just my particular specimen having issues?

What about other parts of the world, is it working all right in the northern hemisphere at least?
Yep, known problem... (and yes it works for us in the north) ...just three days ago someone complained about the GPS placing him in the middle of the Tasman Sea... no fix yet, but when Google Maps relies on the local WiFi routers to get a location, it usually does fine.

Oh, and 'cubes, just for you:

http://simson.net/hacks/cubefire.html

http://picasaweb.google.com/nitrobap...TCubeFireAtLLL

Last edited by Remy X; 12/11/2012 at 04:40 AM.
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 06:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Well also Apple has some probs there at the moment, so servere even police warns of using Apple Maps:
Apple redraws maps after Australian drivers led astray in the bush | Technology | guardian.co.uk

But it seem some of the problems come from the offical "Gazetteer of Australia"
Apple updates maps to remove Australia?s ghost-city in the desert ? The Register
Old 12/11/2012, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't worry about GPS on the Touchpad because it doesn't have a GPS receiver, but I just tried and got an error of about 60 Kms.

It is perfectly accurate when using an external GPS, such as my Pre 3 or my Keychain 2000 GPS.

I'm in Adelaide.
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 01:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

widely reported issue for those south of the equator
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 01:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncc View Post
I don't worry about GPS on the Touchpad because it doesn't have a GPS receiver, but I just tried and got an error of about 60 Kms.

It is perfectly accurate when using an external GPS, such as my Pre 3 or my Keychain 2000 GPS.

I'm in Adelaide.
Yours may not have a GPS..... mine does ;-)
Siobhan

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
siobhanellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 02:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
Yours may not have a GPS..... mine does ;-)
Siobhan
That's right! Rub it in. :-)

Is the GPS accurate on the 4G?
johncc is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0