webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > White Touch Pad or 4G Touch Pad.
White Touch Pad or 4G Touch Pad.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Herrie

Old 12/11/2012, 02:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

If you could only buy one. \Which would it be and why?
Old 12/11/2012, 02:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

4g, and I already did Although i just noticed cracks by both speakers which although unsurprising is still very annoying.
Old 12/11/2012, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Probably 4G, white would be cool to have (still mad I didn't buy a white Veer when i bought em) but would use the 4G more than white. And all our TPs live in cases so the white would be covered.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Hmm...I mean Luna C.E for sure does not work with the 4G touchpad?
Old 12/11/2012, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

LunaCE works fine with the 4G TouchPad. I've been running it on mine for months. The only thing that does not work is setting custom carrier string.
Old 12/11/2012, 09:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'm not convinced running a data only SIM in a tablet would see enough use to justify the cost...

But still I think I'd opt for the 4G, just because.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd get the 64GB. Is that a qualifying answer?
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Im just curious about the overall choices you would make on which ones you would want.
Old 12/11/2012, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventus221 View Post
Im just curious about the overall choices you would make on which ones you would want.
I still hate that there's hasn't been the choice of white for the TouchPad(available to buy), wanted to have that color for my forgotten TouchPad. I have seen photos online of that tablet, it gives the look of elegance into the TouchPad with the color white. If you're considering of buying a white TouchPad, just ask yourself the question about the need that you will get owning a 4G tablet and if you browse the internet while on the go that requires you to have a data plan on the tablet.

I think that you own a cellphone with a data plan that you could tether with it, then a need for a 4G TouchPad won't be that necessary at all.
Old 12/11/2012, 11:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Go with the 4G. I've loaded up my Touchpad with just about everything there is, music, CM9, tons of games, so much homebrew, and I have yet to run out of space on my 32gig 4G TP. I share the sim with all my devices so the cost is easy to justify. And Luna C.E. Is 100% compatible as well as CM9.
yorxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2012, 11:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I still hate that there's hasn't been the choice of white for the TouchPad(available to buy), wanted to have that color for my forgotten TouchPad. I have seen photos online of that tablet, it gives the look of elegance into the TouchPad with the color white. If you're considering of buying a white TouchPad, just ask yourself the question about the need that you will get owning a 4G tablet and if you browse the internet while on the go that requires you to have a data plan on the tablet.

I think that you own a cellphone with a data plan that you could tether with it, then a need for a 4G TouchPad won't be that necessary at all.
I had the chance to buy one but turned it down, since the price was quite absurd compared to the firesale-resale values on Amazon. It was something like $500 for a white 64GB, and i just looked and moved on.

This was two days after the firesale BTW.
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2012, 12:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
I had the chance to buy one but turned it down, since the price was quite absurd compared to the firesale-resale values on Amazon. It was something like $500 for a white 64GB, and i just looked and moved on.

This was two days after the firesale BTW.
Same story happened to me, just when I bought my device during the FireSale on Best-Buy for the low price of $150. I saw a chance for a White TouchPad on eBay, but it was super expensive for that particular tablet model..so I decided to skip on that (while keeping my current Black TouchPad).

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 12/12/2012 at 12:19 AM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 12:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Hmmm, If it was me, I'd buy the Touchpad 4G, then I'd hire someone like me to swap out its black back case for a white one (they can be ordered off of taobao).End result, you have a PandaPad 4G:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PandaPad 4G.jpg (183.0 KB, 129 views) Email Attachment
Old 12/15/2012, 04:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Wow that looks really good.... I own both Touch Pads but I was curious on everyone's views .
Old 01/10/2013, 03:39 AM   #15 (permalink)

I looked at several strings for an answer before I decided to ask this here. I hope this is the right place for my questions.
I have a 64gb white touchpad and a 32gb black touchpad. I want a black one with 1.5 ghz processor. I have the skills to change the case out. In the TP, starting at the charging port, going ccw, there are 5 circuit boards in it. The charging port board, then a board by the vibrator that snaps into the board the battery connects to. Then the battery board, Then the biggest board that the screen power plugs into at the top of the pad, and lastly the board by the speakers that the digitizer plugs into. Could I change only the big board that the power cable for the screen plugs into? I believe that is the board with the processor, ram and flash drive on it. Also, If I decide to just get a 3g model so I don't have to open them up. Can I use a 3g TP without the 3g? I do not want to use it with my AT&T account, I just want wifi and 1.5 ghz speed. I had an HP veer and I HAD to sign in to AT&T first and was not allowed to use wifi only. So, I am checking before I buy. Thanks

Last edited by vistacom; 01/10/2013 at 03:44 AM.
vistacom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 05:26 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistacom View Post
I looked at several strings for an answer before I decided to ask this here. I hope this is the right place for my questions.
I have a 64gb white touchpad and a 32gb black touchpad. I want a black one with 1.5 ghz processor. I have the skills to change the case out. In the TP, starting at the charging port, going ccw, there are 5 circuit boards in it. The charging port board, then a board by the vibrator that snaps into the board the battery connects to. Then the battery board, Then the biggest board that the screen power plugs into at the top of the pad, and lastly the board by the speakers that the digitizer plugs into. Could I change only the big board that the power cable for the screen plugs into? I believe that is the board with the processor, ram and flash drive on it. Also, If I decide to just get a 3g model so I don't have to open them up. Can I use a 3g TP without the 3g? I do not want to use it with my AT&T account, I just want wifi and 1.5 ghz speed. I had an HP veer and I HAD to sign in to AT&T first and was not allowed to use wifi only. So, I am checking before I buy. Thanks
The 3G has a sim-card. When you don't put a sim-card it's WiFi only You can always use Impostah to bypass any activation/webOS account sign-in that you might need to do over 3G and do it over WiFi instead!
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by vistacom likes this.
Thanked By: vistacom
Old 01/10/2013, 07:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hi every one, im in the uk and i wondered if the touchpad 3g or 4g would works with the uk carrier ?
Thanks
pingenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 10:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingenet View Post
Hi every one, im in the uk and i wondered if the touchpad 3g or 4g would works with the uk carrier ?
Thanks
3G yes, 4G = Faux G, it's not real 4G, but it's HDSPA+ which AT&T in the US sold as being "4G".

My "4G" Touchpad works fine here in NL (Also tried in Russia using MTS) with 3G speeds. I recently ordered a Sierra 7710 LTE card so I can have proper LTE in the future. I'll put this in my Touchpad sometime next week I guess
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2013, 03:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I bought a 64 go model and I'm happy with it thanks. You can close this thread lol.
Old 01/17/2013, 11:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistacom View Post
you can just overclock your TP to 1.5 Ghz, they are the same cpu's anyway
henri_p is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0