webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Missing space on 32GB Touchpad after doctor
Missing space on 32GB Touchpad after doctor
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By broncot

Old 12/08/2012, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

I just bought a 32GB TouchPad off craigslist for $80. The seller said it was bricked. I followed the steps in the 12% fixed post and got it to doctor, but it comes up with 24 GB available. No pictures or music. The seller never told me what happened to it, I'm wondering if it was setup to dual boot. I'm waiting for the apps to install, then I'll get Internalz Pro installed. What am I looking for? What else could be taking up 8GB?
Old 12/08/2012, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

You should check LVM configuration. I'm not familiar with LVM, so I can't give you the commands for it. Someone else probably knows.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Will a full erase clear everything?
broncot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Probably not. That only formats things, and not repartition the flash.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/08/2012, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

I installed Tailor and it shows a 3.5GB Android data partition, 304 MiB system and 200 MiB cache partition, so looks like it was dual booted. Any reason why I couldn't use Tailor to delete the partitions? It gives me the option.
Old 12/08/2012, 08:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I found the article on the home page about removing Android, I'm going to try that.....
Old 12/08/2012, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Neither worked. I deleted the partitions (probably wasn't supposed to do that...) and the ACMEUninstaller steps get me "the system cannot find the file specified", so I'm short 8GB, waiting for someone to help!
TIA
Old 12/08/2012, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, I tried again the ACMEUninstaller and it ran, but I'm still missing space. Going to leave it alone for now and start backing up my 16GB Touchpad in anticipation of moving everything over.
Old 12/08/2012, 08:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
Neither worked. I deleted the partitions (probably wasn't supposed to do that...) and the ACMEUninstaller steps get me "the system cannot find the file specified", so I'm short 8GB, waiting for someone to help!
TIA
Can't you use something to create a blank partition in its place? Or expand the media partition? There is also a partition undelete utility by the same company that released PhotoRec (for recovering deleted photos from camera memory cards) but that wouldn't work over Novacom...

I don't know the precise specs for the Media partition on a 32GB Touchpad, but AFAIK, Android is installed on that and you can browse its files under Internalz, so perhaps that partition was set to hidden and then you deleted it, so this would be trickier now... the uninstall utility definitely needs access to the files before anything can be done...

So if the Android bootloader is gone, something will need to be done to create a "factory original" media partition and then fill it with the correct files and directories

Ok, the partition recovery tool is http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk and the source is available, so it can be compiled to run on the Touchpad to recover partitions... don't ask me for step-by-step directions though, i've not tried running linux commandline tools on the TP yet...

Oh and some screenshots of TestDisk doing its job here... http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/l...-recovery.html

Last edited by Remy X; 12/08/2012 at 09:12 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: broncot
Old 12/08/2012, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Some say they can see the TouchPad flash as a drive when it's in bootloader mode and the host is running Ubuntu. If that's the case you might be able to use some GUI tools to to expand the media partition.
Old 12/09/2012, 01:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

I used Tailor to change the main partition to 27GB (full free space), but the Touchpad Device Info and Windows only shows 19.1GB.
No files show up in Internalz or Windows.
Is it worth trying a full reset now that I've removed the partitions?
Old 12/09/2012, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

You can do an erase USB Drive, which should format the media partition and get the rest of the space. If that doesn't work, format from the installer ramdisk.
Thanked By: broncot
Old 12/09/2012, 03:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

USB erase didn't work. Trying installer ramdisk now.

Last edited by broncot; 12/09/2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: found ramdisk installer steps
broncot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 03:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Installer ramdisk worked, I've got 27.4GB free! Probably not the proper way to recover a non-booting android TouchPad, but it worked!
Old 12/09/2012, 04:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Curiously now all my previously installed apps are gone. They installed after I signed into my profile initially. Is there a way to trigger them automatically or do I have to go through the catalog and install them manually?
Old 12/09/2012, 05:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Apps are stored on the media partition under the directory .palm. When you format the media partition those apps disappear. There's some sort of command that you can run to have it restore app the apps, though I don't remember it right now.
Old 12/09/2012, 06:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

I just reset it-erasing apps, resigned into my profile and they're downloading again.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0