webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP TP Sound Issue
HP TP Sound Issue
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By CanisLatrans
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By CanisLatrans
  • 1 Post By namgod
  • 1 Post By con500

Old 12/08/2012, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Greetings, I'm new to the forum and was reading about the problem with the sound degradation, and is that the same thing happened to me. Every now and then the sound becomes bad and I have to lock and unlock the tablet a moment to be cleared. I wonder if someone found a solution to this problem.
thanks
CanisLatrans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 03:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanisLatrans View Post
Greetings, I'm new to the forum and was reading about the problem with the sound degradation, and is that the same thing happened to me. Every now and then the sound becomes bad and I have to lock and unlock the tablet a moment to be cleared. I wonder if someone found a solution to this problem.
thanks
Actually, it sounds like you already know about the solution.

If you are looking for a true fix to the problem then there is no good news to share with you.

I believe the consensus on these forums has attributed the issue to a hardware conflict on the Touchpad since it also occurs when running the device under either WebOS or CyanogenMod Android. However, I believe it is reported to occur very infrequently under Android.
Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: CanisLatrans
Old 12/08/2012, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't think I have ever had the issue, but normal fix I have seen is a reboot, seems like you have a "better fix"

Just curious, is your issue system wide or specific to a certain app? Most people who see it system wide have to do a reboot.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: CanisLatrans
Old 12/09/2012, 01:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I don't think I have ever had the issue, but normal fix I have seen is a reboot, seems like you have a "better fix"

Just curious, is your issue system wide or specific to a certain app? Most people who see it system wide have to do a reboot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
Actually, it sounds like you already know about the solution.

If you are looking for a true fix to the problem then there is no good news to share with you.

I believe the consensus on these forums has attributed the issue to a hardware conflict on the Touchpad since it also occurs when running the device under either WebOS or CyanogenMod Android. However, I believe it is reported to occur very infrequently under Android.
It's not specifiic at all. It's quite random. However, my solution, putting it on standby for some seconds and then get it back, I read it here, on webOS Nation. And yes, I was running android, and there is a lot of bugs related with the sound system, even more, I have a little idea of android source code and programming, so I conducted a research of a bug. This bug is "reboot bug". The bug I explain it here: Reboot When Enter On Standby - HP Touchpad General - CyanogenMod Forum

I contacted with the developer of the Tenderloin project. I gave him the information of the problem, including images, system logs, etc. After all that, he answered me that he couldn't help me fixing the problem, that I should ask some one else. I got very upset with that answer. Thats not the only bug I found, however all of them are related with the sound system.

Then I just bored of android on my TP, so I back to webOS, and I really like it, I'm very intrested on lerning more about. Then I found this little issue, and the "temporal fix" also found here. I beleive this is the best webOS forum, I expect to learn a lot here.

Thanks for your reply!
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 12/09/2012, 02:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
[...] I believe this is the best webOS forum, I expect to learn a lot here.
This is the original Pre|central, just under a new name. There's a lot of good information here, going back to 2009, and some of the members you'll meet here were here from the beginning when the Palm Pre became available to developers under the early-access program... and you might even run into the legends behind widely used tools like webOSQuickInstall (Jason Robitaille), MetaDoctor (Rod Whitby), developers of the webOS Internals tools. But, they don't post often, because they are hard at work

So welcome and please feel at home. Check out all of what's available on Preware, including ShiftyAxel's WiFi file sharing app, the Theme Manager, LunaCE (which is where the new developments from openwebOS are rolled into Luna, the window manager / GUI shell of webOS). Feel free to ask any questions and have fun

Last edited by Remy X; 12/09/2012 at 02:35 AM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 02:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

well arent we friendly? lol
cguido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 10:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you all for this warm welcome, you are much friendly than another forums, I've been! I'll keep reading and learning for the moment, anything else I'll ask!
Old 12/13/2012, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
thanks
If you install TouchVol (preware) there is a menu item which will restart the pulse audio subsystem and fixes the distortion on my system - no need to reboot.
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: snorri788
Old 12/14/2012, 01:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Pulse audio restarter has never worked for me, on any of my 3 touchpads. I've always had to do a full reboot. I do find this issue normally happens when I've been playing music or video and pause it from the lock screen (via the notification bar) and then go back to it.

Weirdly this happens less on my 4G than on my wifi model (which was almost every other day)
Old 12/14/2012, 03:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Sometimes it happens on my Touchpad even though I didn't use it.
i.e. I restart it in the evening, then put it on the Touchstone. It charges over night and is not touched by anyone. In the morning I unlock the screen and start my Radio-App to listen to some music and news and the sound is broken.

Anyway. Reboot helps always. Pulse Audio Restarter Patch from Preware helps sometimes.
Old 12/14/2012, 04:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hi,

As kayphoonstar said get TouchVol from Preware. In the dropdown menu is the option 'Restart PulseAudio'. Works everytime.

Just a tip: If you are using KalemSoft, don't turn off the touchpad when playing a movie.

J
JVLebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 05:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
If you install TouchVol (preware) there is a menu item which will restart the pulse audio subsystem and fixes the distortion on my system - no need to reboot.
Many thanks for that fix!
Old 12/14/2012, 03:29 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
Pulse audio restarter has never worked for me, on any of my 3 touchpads. I've always had to do a full reboot. I do find this issue normally happens when I've been playing music or video and pause it from the lock screen (via the notification bar) and then go back to it.

Weirdly this happens less on my 4G than on my wifi model (which was almost every other day)
Are you talking about the patch or TouchVol's menu item? TouchVol's always worked for me. I haven't had my 4G for very long but I haven't ever had the issue on that device.
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2012, 10:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

I've read it somewhere else, but it works for me: when you have distorted (ring modulated) sound, all you have to do is shut off the screen, count to 10 and turn it back on. Works more often than one would think and I don't know why. No pulse audio, no reboots.
Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon)
namgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by CanisLatrans likes this.
Thanked By: steven_farkas
Old 12/24/2012, 05:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I also noticed that this problem occurs a lot less frequently and a lot less intense on the 4G compared to the WiFi version.

There could be a quite logical explanation for this: The 4G runs on 1.5 GHz stock and the WiFi on 1.2GHz stock, maybe that's what causes the garbled sound (some timing issue)?

Would it be an idea to try the 4G kernel on a WiFi device to see if that would make a difference?

Not sure if the lack of a 4G card on the WiFi model would cause it not to start, or maybe there's a way to disable/remove the driver from the 4G kernel in case it causes issues?
Herrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2012, 08:57 AM   #16 (permalink)

I also use the 10 second power off when the sound is distorted...I've also noticed the sound goes off completely at times when I take the TP off the touchstone. Pulse audio restart app sorts this out. For some reason the issue seems to occur more frequent since I have been using the tochstone, but the 'distorted' sound seems less frequent on the touchstone
con500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by CanisLatrans likes this.
Old 12/25/2012, 02:23 AM   #17 (permalink)

Yes, as I said, I put it on sleep mode for 5 or 7 secs and then awake it, thats all... Another curious question:

I bought my TouchPad used, and if I press on the lower right corner (approximately) the same sinking a little, just happens to me on that site, and has markings, I think that at some point the old owner opened. But it works 100% correct. However I have intentions of opening it, trying to fix it (that bothers me) and I would like to paint the top of the casing also. Some know that paint should I use?

Tags
issue, problem, sound

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0