webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Bug discovered: notifications and music
Bug discovered: notifications and music
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover

Old 12/08/2012, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

I think I found a reproducible bug on webOS 3.0.5: when music is playing and a wave of notifications come in, the system glitches out. Pressing the play button on the music player will trigger a vibration, and will output to speaker whereas it previously outputted to headphones. It will continue to output to speakers regardless if the headphones are plugged in or not. It will output to headphones only if the headphones are replugged, and up until the next song or pause.

The situation that leads to this phenomenon is the headphones are plugged in, music is playing through the stock player, and a spotty WiFi connection. When the connection allows the device to receive notifications, a wave of notifications comes in, causing this problem. I've noted that there are multiple dashboards with a net of four notifications when the problem triggered. I'm uncertain when the notifications came in, as I never heard the notification sound play. But the next song outputted to speakers, accompanied by a vibration.

I'm using LunaCE 4.9.5, latest beta WarthogKernel, and webOS 3.0.5 build 86. I'm hoping someone involved with LunaCE could take a look at this and see if it's fixable.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Remy X
Old 12/08/2012, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

In 2.2.4, if you're connected via Bluetooth to something, and you go out of range and lose the connection, frequently, your audio will never get redirected to the speaker unless you reboot. :-S
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
In 2.2.4, if you're connected via Bluetooth to something, and you go out of range and lose the connection, frequently, your audio will never get redirected to the speaker unless you reboot. :-S
I have done this a few times when forgetting I am connected to my stereo BT headphones then hop in the car.... try to connect to clarion deck, and BT goes crazy.

Stuff like this is hard to verify since there are so many factors though, never been a frequent enough problem for me to attempt to debug.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/08/2012, 03:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

And then, even with the Touchpad's default configuration and something as basic as switching audio output between (wired) headphones/speakers, the situation is a total failure.

When it comes to audio provided by Flash (YouTube video), if the video has been paused and the screen powered off, reinserting the headphones with the screen off will not trigger a switch to headphones. I have to press power to see the lock screen before plugging in my headphones, and that's a 1st gen device problem (Pre-) from what i've read somewhere, back in '10.

This whole interface needs to be looked at, with so many similar bugs in the same area
To me, there's two problems, in detecting an event to switch output devices (or failing to generate one), and in exception handling. Maybe there's a boolean flag that is related to speakers being on, and that gets flipped or not, depending on the situation. I would think that enumerating audio output devices like a TV does with its video inputs is a better way to go. 0 for speakers, 1 for headphones, 2, 3 and 4 for Bluetooth and 5 through 9 for anything else. Give unique IDs to the devices and check if the devices are in operation (not always possible).... and then there'a also front speaker, rear speaker, headphones, bluetooth mono headset, bluetooth stereo headphones, car's bluetooth speaker, when we are talking about a phone (not tablet), with lots of room for bugs...

And then the Touchpad's "distorted noise" issue. Someone dropped the ball on audio....

Last edited by Remy X; 12/08/2012 at 03:59 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 02:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'm not sure if it would make sense for someone to file this in the Open webOS jira or not, I'd guess maybe if the headphone were functioning on the gnex port or something, someone could check and see if these problems are there...
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0