webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Virus? Touchpad uploading large amounts of data morning and afternoon.
Virus? Touchpad uploading large amounts of data morning and afternoon.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan

Old 12/05/2012, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi,

My HP touchpad appears to be uploading large amounts of data [over wifi] (between 200 and 400 Megs) twice a day, between 8am and 9am, and in the afternoon around 3pm. The touch pad sits on a touchstone all day, and is often not being actively used by someone at the time of the data uploads.

To my inexperienced eye, it looks like I have a virus of some sort, but, searching the Internet, I have not seen any one else describe the same issue. Surely I'm not the first person to have seen this behaviour?

The touchpad is used as a web browser, media player, and digital photoframe, so I am guessing its uploading the video files to somewhere. I'm in the process of setting up my Home network so that I can snoop (wireshark) the network to see whats happening, but I've not got it sorted just yet.

From reading the forums, it would seem I should just use the WebOS Doctor to "reset/reinstall" the touchpad, but I would like to know more about what is happening, where my files are going, and which of the Free apps I installed that caused the issue.

The touchpad has not had any preware installed.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Are there any log on the touchpad that I can look at to see what its doing? Or am I just wasting my time, and I should just reset the touchpad.

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated.
Cheers.
aufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 07:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

There are no viruses on webOS (not to say that it's impossible, but that there's no reason).

Have you attempted a restart to see if that causes the issue? It might just be an app inadvertently misbehaving in the background.
Old 12/05/2012, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Could be daily backups, or could be streaming media. Could also be Exchange mail or Facebook, if you have it synching photos.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/05/2012, 07:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the comments so far.

This strange behavior has been occurring for quite some time, I think, I only just noticed it recently when my Internet data cap was reached.

The touchpad has been power cycled several times in the period that the problem has been occurring - thanks to the issue with the touchpad's audio getting all distorted.

I wondered if it was backups, but the last time the backup ran was a week or so ago, and just to make sure, I turned backups off.

The touchpad does not sync to Exchange, or sync photos to Facebook (that I know of !-)

And streaming media, well I do not think its something I have setup. I did have the Free/Trial version of the Bhome upnp application installed, but as soon as I noticed the strange internet usage I deleted the app. Is there anyway to check what process are running, or if I am providing my media for streaming???

Thanks again,
Old 12/05/2012, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think there was some sort of packet sniffer in webOS, but I can't remember what package it was. Maybe you can redirect traffic through a proxy installed on your computer?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/09/2012, 03:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sadly I could not get my hands on a hub, so I have not been able to successfully snoop (with wireshark) the network when the data was being uploaded.

I did connect a laptop to the wireless router's modem network port, and snoop, but the main things I saw were DNS requests for the following:

www.yahoo.com
/www.hp.com
www.hpwebos.com
www.bing.com
developer.palm.com
www.compaq.com
www.google.com

and NTP request to the following:

128.250.36.3 ex-ict-ntpserver2-blocked.unimelb.net.au
129.132.2.21 swisstime.ee.ethz.ch
130.123.2.99 Massey University NZ
130.149.17.8 ntps1-1.eecsit.tu-berlin.de
132.163.4.102 time-b.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov
192.43.244.18 time.nist.gov
192.5.41.209 ntp2.usno.navy.mil
192.5.41.41 tock.usno.navy.mil
207.200.81.113 ping-audit-207-200-81-113-20101108.ops.aol.com
208.184.49.9 208.184.49.9.reverse.not.updated.above.net

So, nothing OBVIOUSLY suspicious to me.
Anyway, enough time has been wasted on this, time to DOCTOR the touchpad.....
Old 04/03/2013, 01:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Any ideas yet what this might be?
scaredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/03/2013, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

probably email set to auto/constant polling/immediate mode, facebook doing the same, twitter, and all the other synergy type apps that pull or look for info.
Old 04/04/2013, 01:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
probably email set to auto/constant polling/immediate mode, facebook doing the same, twitter, and all the other synergy type apps that pull or look for info.
0.o 200-400mb seems harsh..
scaredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/04/2013, 02:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

You'd be surprised how much EAS uses on my Android phone in a month.
Old 04/04/2013, 07:11 AM   #11 (permalink)

I doubt it's a virus. platform aside, I don't know of too many viruses that are going to try to upload 200 - 400 megabytes a day. Even on a modestly successful deployment, you would have to set aside terrabytes of data on a server somewhere to hold all that. Typical targets of value for a virus (ex. contacts and maybe financial info or keylogs) come nowhere near to that amount of data.
xortenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
virus touchpad

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0