webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > adobe flash player update to latest version
adobe flash player update to latest version
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By cubeover
  • 1 Post By shanpalm61

Old 12/04/2012, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

How can i update my flash player i cant access to my farmville2 games in facebook asking to update flashplayer adobe
Mary Ann Paparon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can't. Adobe halted any further development of Flash for webOS a while back. If you are running the most current version of webOS 3.x.x , you have the most current version of Flash.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by shanpalm61 likes this.
Old 12/04/2012, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Furthermore, they have halted Flash development for Android as well. Sooner or later every mobile version of Flash will be outdated
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 12/05/2012, 07:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Furthermore, they have halted Flash development for Android as well. Sooner or later every mobile version of Flash will be outdated
I think that whatever might had happen with Adobe dropping development of Flash, it's really not that relevant to regular WebOS user. What really matter most would be, that HP and the WebOS team to stop giving us the round-around and update the flash player on the TouchPad to v11. Lots of people depended upon their devices to run flash, and now the TouchPad had fallen behind, just like almost every time it happens in WebOSLand with software updates. I simply don't like that the Playbook OS have Flash Player v11.2 on that device and even some hackers manage to get flash back on Jelly Bean...and tablet HP TouchPad won't likely catch up to those players

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 12/05/2012 at 08:08 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I think that whatever might had happen with Adobe dropping development of Flash, it's really not that relevant to regular WebOS user. What really matter most would be, that HP and the WebOS team to stop giving us the round-around and update the flash player on the TouchPad to v11. Lots of people depended upon their devices to run flash, and now the TouchPad had fell behind, just like almost every time it happens in WebOSLand. I don't like that the Playbook OS have Flash Player v11.2 on that device and even some hackers manage to get flash back on Jelly Bean...and tablet HP TouchPad won't likely catch up to those players
I think you are completely missing the point that it isn't up to HP or any other company outside of Adobe. Adobe owns Flash and it is Adobe that has stopped development and will not allow the software to be written for webOS. It isn't plug-n-play software, it has to be coded for each platform's use. For Flash (of any newer version) to be brought into webOS, you need to look at Adobe - no one else.

Oh.. and btw... Adobe has stopped all development of Flash on most devices (Android too) to focus on HTML5, so it's a mute point anyhow.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/05/2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12/05/2012, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
I think you are completely missing the point that it isn't up to HP or any other company outside of Adobe. Adobe owns Flash and it is Adobe that has stopped development and will not allow the software to be written for webOS. It isn't plug-n-play software, it has to be coded for each platform's use. For Flash (of any newer version) to be brought into webOS, you need to look at Adobe - no one else.

Oh.. and btw... Adobe has stopped all development of Flash on most devices (Android too) to focus on HTML5.
I also mentioned(about Adobe dropping support for Flash) on my post as well. I don't mean to sound a bit pushy, but Adobe has also said that whoever(manufacturer wish to incorporate) the mobile version of Flash Player v11.2 are free and willing to do so. I'm sure that it could be kind of possible to bring a new updated player plug-in the WebOS browser, maybe license the entire source code for the Flash plug-in from Adobe(just like RIM did with the tablet Playbook).
Old 12/05/2012, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

But why would anyone waste their time doing that - even on a huge platform like Android, when everything is heading towards HTML5? I understand the desire, but there's no long-term payback for putting the time in. Even Adobe sees that Flash is done. You'll see devs moving games and stuff move away from Flash sooner than you will see devs trying to license and update Flash for the short term.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/05/2012 at 10:30 PM.
Liked by Garrett92C likes this.
Old 12/05/2012, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I also mentioned(about Adobe dropping support for Flash) on my post as well. I don't mean to sound a bit pushy...
Here's the rub: Adobe stopped developing the mobile version of Flash 8 months ago, so the companies that control mobile platforms are stuck with 11.1 and any security updates thereof. And then Adobe has to certify mobile devices to signify it's stable on each device, which, well, they don't have a terrible interest in doing anymore.

Adobe Developer Connection - Flash Player Certified Devices

Interestingly enough, HP is running an uncertified 10.3 runtime on Touchpads as it is, and the only certified runtime for Flash on any webOS device is a Pre 2 using the 10.1 runtime. How about the Veer and Pre 3? Nope, those aren't certified either. That's not very...comforting from a stability and security standpoint. Especially since all Flash releases out on Android 4.0.x and prior have been certified for many popular devies, along with the BB Playbook and its 11.1 branch.

To expect anyone in their right mind within HP to update Flash to 11.1 for webOS is just downright unreasonable at this point. It's almost not worth addressing.

Quote:
...but Adobe has also said that whoever(manufacturer wish to incorporate) the mobile version of Flash Player v11.2 are free and willing to do so..
Citation needed. Ok, I'll cite Electronista:

"The release of Flash 11.2 is the first since Adobe dropped mobile Flash and won't ever be brought to Android or other mobile devices. Adobe mostly sided with Apple in deciding that HTML5 was better for cross-platform, standards-based web support." (Adobe Flash 11.2, AIR 3.2 with 'premium' features, 3D boosts | Electronista)

Sure enough, what's the last version available for Android? That you can't even download on Google Play anymore? Version 11.1. (Archived Flash Player versions)

Playbook OS also runs 11.1, but it's baked directly into the browser and isn't available as a standalone product. It's also forced many OS updates to address security vulnerabilities in Flash, which makes their decision to bake Flash directly in a rather stupid one.

11.2 isn't coming out for any mobile device. 11.1 was the end of the road, full stop.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You can't. Adobe halted any further development of Flash for webOS a while back. If you are running the most current version of webOS 3.x.x , you have the most current version of Flash.
Just to clarify, HelloNNNewman means that if you have the latest version of 3.0.5, you have the latest version of Flash available on the webOS platform, which is 10.3.

I know most of us realize that, but for new folks who aren't especially technically savvy, it bears making this distinction.
Thanked by HelloNNNewman, Vistaus
Old 12/06/2012, 05:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Problem is that some web developers think it is still a PC era. But soon it will dawn on all.
cubeover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/06/2012, 10:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubeover View Post
Problem is that some web developers think it is still a PC era. But soon it will dawn on all.
Web developers in general have despised Flash for a long, long time and regarded it as a necessary evil since, for the large part of the last decade, HTML5 wasn't an option (as it didn't exist) and Flash filled a genuine need in the industry for interactive content that standard HTML, CSS, and JavaScript couldn't fill. The moment an alternative came along, they were more than happy to bail the hell out and adopt HTML5 as the emerging standard.

I think what you meant to say was that "some Flash developers think it is still a PC era. But soon it will dawn on them that they no longer have a job."
Old 12/07/2012, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Web developers in general have despised Flash for a long, long time and regarded it as a necessary evil since, for the large part of the last decade, HTML5 wasn't an option (as it didn't exist) and Flash filled a genuine need in the industry for interactive content that standard HTML, CSS, and JavaScript couldn't fill. The moment an alternative came along, they were more than happy to bail the hell out and adopt HTML5 as the emerging standard.

I think what you meant to say was that "some Flash developers think it is still a PC era. But soon it will dawn on them that they no longer have a job."
<<staff edit>> On my palm pre device and tablet is a great advantage to view flash content on the browser, something that you can't do much on a Apple device. While some of you wish that Flash could die a quicker death on the Web, it's still an important part of the internet, despite what technology you are cheering or supporting whether is (HTML5 or Flash). And when you compare the WebOS browser with rendering content built in HTML5 it doesn't get the highest score against other competitor mobile browsers, so until the team at WebOS doesn't improve HTML compatibility on the platform....it doesn't hurt to see a bit more support for Flash on the TouchPad.

I'm just simply saying that it would be great if WebOS team launched an update on Flash Player v11.1, tons of users around the forums still are fond and like that their TouchPad support Flash and they can play game online on the browser......and I'm sure that a lot of users will be quite happy to see further support for a new version of Flash.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/09/2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: removed rude comment to another member
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/07/2012, 02:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

Flash on mobile IMO isn't as nice as on PC. If you're trying to play games, some games require dragging, and that just doesn't work well. Also by default the mouse cursor gets reset to the top left after a few seconds, so on full screen YouTube you see the playback controls disappear, then come back again and disappear again. Not ideal.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 06:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Remember the old days waiting for version 10 on our first Palm Pre's...
shanpalm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0