webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > time to dump webOS?
time to dump webOS?
Like Tree11Likes

Old 12/03/2012, 07:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

my touchpad will not connect to win7 pc. When I connect it, I get USB device not recognized...and, my touchpad will not play local videos over 4:30. Videos are MP4s and stored locally on my touchpad.

it does play videos over YouTube w/o any issues.

time to let go or convert to android?
russ399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, it's really up to you. "Dump" if you want to "dump", many of us would gladly have a 2nd or even 3rd Touchpad for a low price.

However, both of these issues can be solved easily if you look around and if the right people come by and post. Please describe the issues in more detail, such as what media player you use and so on. The USB issue might be a bit trickier, but still not the end of the world. The guys here even revived totally wiped Touchpads stuck in QHUSB-DLOAD mode, so in comparison, your problems are quite minor
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 08:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

I won't argue with your decision to dump. However, my touchpad works just fine on my windows 7 pc. Not only that, but I just upgraded to windows 8 and it still works fine. I suspect you have a usb problem on your pc. Try re-booting both the pc and the touchpad and connect to a different usb port if you have one available. Good luck with whatever path you choose.
pro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz and geekpeter like this.
Old 12/03/2012, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just installed android as dual boot option. Consider that before throwing the TP into the closet. I feel I have a new device. I will continue to use webos option esp when novelty of android wears off but having a couple of big apps like netlflix, mint, is important for me on occasion.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you research a little, you could also find a way to do wireless transfer of data between your PC and TP. The app is called Wi Fi Transfer to get you started.
darkoman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by geekpeter likes this.
Old 12/04/2012, 07:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Could be a problem with the cable or the plug. Does it charge OK when charging by plug? Is there any visible damage at the touch pad end of the cable?

Sent from CM9 enhanced Touch pad using Tapatalk.
starbuckk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/04/2012, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoman4 View Post
If you research a little, you could also find a way to do wireless transfer of data between your PC and TP. The app is called Wi Fi Transfer to get you started.
A more platform-agnostic and clientless solution is to simply run SSH on the touchpad. You can then mount using FUSE if you have a linux workstation, or use filezilla in windows.

For the video issue, take a look at the Kalemsoft video player. It plays everything I've thrown at it.
Old 12/04/2012, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

OP.. if you can post some info for members to give you a hand that would be helpful... otherwise we will close the thread. Thanks

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/04/2012, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

OP kind of reminds me of those people who go out and buy a new computer because they have annoying malware on their hard drives. There are fixes for all your issues.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by pattyland likes this.
Old 12/04/2012, 05:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

ok so I am back and thanks for the suggestions so far...

I rebooted my Win7 PC and my touchpad as suggested and it still does not recognize the device when I plug it in to the USB port. BTW, it used to work but not sure how long ago since I do not do it very often. I have tried two different cables and my wife's TP, and I get the same results. I guess I can try a different (XP) PC...

I did load homebrew and preware to update the audio player on my TP. I installed touchvol about 5 months ago.

So I captured some concert videos off of youtube using my Win7 PC and loaded it on to my touchpad using tb file transfer. The captured video files are all MP4s and play fine on my PC but only play for 4:30 on the touchpad. Then they just stop. This is repeatable on the tp. Interstingly enough though, the vidoe I captured off of a DVD and loaded to the TP works fine. And, capture audio files all work fine.

I guess I am using the default video player on the TP. I am not using any appl, just selecting the file and it plays.

I sure hope this is good info to help trouble-shoot my problems...
Old 12/04/2012, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkoman4 View Post
I use the free app TBtransfer (TBtransfer | webOS Nation) to transfer data wirelessly between my TouchPad and Win7. It works brilliantly, although I wish it would remember a default directory. It's so quick and painless that it's usually not worth the trouble to plug in the USB cable, but I haven't had any problem using a USB connection to the TP with Win7 either.

Last edited by Semma2; 12/04/2012 at 06:09 PM.
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 06:08 PM   #12 (permalink)

Update... my TP connects and is recognized on my XP pro laptop.

I have used TB transfer w/o issue
Old 12/05/2012, 01:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ399 View Post
Update... my TP connects and is recognized on my XP pro laptop.

I have used TB transfer w/o issue
when you plug your TP into your win7 PC does it attempt to load any drivers, and if so do you get any failure messages?
Old 12/05/2012, 06:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
when you plug your TP into your win7 PC does it attempt to load any drivers, and if so do you get any failure messages?
No it does not try to load drivers. With the TP conected to the Win7 PC, I opened the device manager in the control panel and I see one USB port highlighted. I told it to update the driver and it comes back and tells me the driver is running the latest update.
Old 12/05/2012, 11:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
OP kind of reminds me of those people who go out and buy a new computer because they have annoying malware on their hard drives. There are fixes for all your issues.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Unfortunately that's true for anything, not just webOS. The average person when getting something, they expect an out-of-box experience.

But hey, people need to purchase to keep the economy moving, right?
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/05/2012, 12:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
Unfortunately that's true for anything, not just webOS. The average person when getting something, they expect an out-of-box experience.

But hey, people need to purchase to keep the economy moving, right?
I am not expecting anything new nor do I plan to replace the TP. I was questioning if I should convert it to Android but since I cannot connect to the PC, I would assume that is out of the question.

I am now seaking help with connecting the TP to Win7. It used to work and I am just asking for help to get it to work again.

I am also asking if anyone has the issue of locally stored video files dieing after 4:30 mintes.

I provided additional details as requested.
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 12/05/2012, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Try USBdeview...

It opens a window that lists all the USB devices stored in memory. Stop all the Palm devices. Reboot Win 7. Reconnect the TouchPad. You may get a fresh install on driver request.

It solved a similar problem I had with a webOS phone.

USBDeview Freeware download and reviews from SnapFiles
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/05/2012, 09:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ399 View Post
I am not expecting anything new nor do I plan to replace the TP. I was questioning if I should convert it to Android but since I cannot connect to the PC, I would assume that is out of the question.

I am now seaking help with connecting the TP to Win7. It used to work and I am just asking for help to get it to work again.

I am also asking if anyone has the issue of locally stored video files dieing after 4:30 mintes.

I provided additional details as requested.
I was just making a general statement about etphoto's comment.

Check under Device Manager, see if there are weird yellow question mark devices, remove them. unplug then plug your TouchPad in again.

Pry my keyboard from my stone dead hands. I dare you. Death to all slates.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/06/2012, 06:14 AM   #19 (permalink)

ok,using USBDeview, I see one HP webOS Device USB listed as Unknown and a 2nd HP webOS Device listed as Mass Storage. Neither are connected, one disabled and both are safe to unplug

I disable and removed the devices but when I plugged the TP back in, I still get USB device unknown. I will see if HP has a driver I can load ....

Port_#0006.Hub_#0005 HP webOS-device USB Device Unknown No Yes No No 0123456789ABCDEF 12/6/2012 3:33:49 AM 9/9/2012 6:49:15 AM 0830 8072 3.27 00 00 00 6&39c1e481&0 usbccgp Microsoft USB Generic Parent Driver usbccgp.sys USB (Standard USB Host Controller) USB Composite Device 6.1.7601.17586 USB\VID_0830&PID_8072\0123456789ABCDEF

Port_#0006.Hub_#0005 HP webOS-device USB Device Mass Storage No Yes No No 0123456789ABCDEF 12/6/2012 3:33:49 AM 9/9/2012 6:44:24 AM 0830 8074 3.27 08 06 50 USBSTOR USB Mass Storage Driver USBSTOR.SYS USB Compatible USB storage device USB Mass Storage Device 6.1.7601.17577 USB\VID_0830&PID_8074\0123456789ABCDEF

Last edited by russ399; 12/06/2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12/06/2012, 07:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Well, it's really up to you. "Dump" if you want to "dump", many of us would gladly have a 2nd or even 3rd Touchpad for a low price.
What would you consider a low price? I just sold my 32GB Touchpad recently...and I wasn't sure what the value of it would be.
jtexans is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0