webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > time to dump webOS?
time to dump webOS?
Like Tree11Likes

Old 12/11/2012, 01:58 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ399 View Post
so I stopped and removed NOVACOM, stopped AV firewall and then reinstalled NOVACOM. I attached the TP a couple of times and kept getting USB unrecongnized except once, when it saw that it was a WEBOS device...But that was one time and its back to the USB unrecognized device.

by the way, I am using the iniversal novacom installer 1.3
I was having novacom installation issues on my win7 laptop initially and in the classic use a sledgehammer to crack a nut style I simply downloaded the SDK (200mb+) and installed it on my machine as it includes the novacom drivers. Since then I've never had a problem

https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._download.html

you could give that a try?
Old 12/11/2012, 03:44 PM   #42 (permalink)

If it's possible to upgrade my Touchpad to what apparently is currently being worked on ("Luna CE" and other parts of WebOS, I think), then it's not time to change.
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 12/11/2012, 04:50 PM   #43 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shneor View Post
If it's possible to upgrade my Touchpad to what apparently is currently being worked on ("Luna CE" and other parts of WebOS, I think), then it's not time to change.
I've not really experienced TP without LunaCE (the 4.9.5 out of the Beta Feeds) as I installed that pretty quick after receiving my TouchPad...

But I do know that I would not want to be without it. IMHO it makes for a great user experience.

Once some of the dust settles from the Open port to Nexus phone, I'm hoping some of the benefits and lessons learned filter back to TouchPad when the developers turn their attention that way once more.

Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2012, 07:25 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
I was having novacom installation issues on my win7 laptop initially and in the classic use a sledgehammer to crack a nut style I simply downloaded the SDK (200mb+) and installed it on my machine as it includes the novacom drivers. Since then I've never had a problem

https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._download.html

you could give that a try?
as instructed, I removed the existing novacom driver(s), removed the webos pdk and rebooted. I then installed the
latest JAVA, the virtualbox and the webos pdk. I rebooted both PC and TP, connected the TP to the PC and....nothing...Still USB not recognized.

I did not configure anything in the Oracle VM VirtualBox...

Might be time to give up.
russ399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 11:14 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualkyr View Post
After being a big webos supporter, I have reluctantly moved on. I'm on android on my phone, htc evo.

I'm typing this on my wife's new iPad 2 that we got a couple weeks ago, and I have to say that this is a really nice piece of hardware and the experience is much better than anything I had on my Touchpad. I really miss the gestures and swiping, but not having lag and quick responsiveness of this software is pretty sweet.

We also just got her an iPhone 5 yesterday, and I'm surfing using the Verizon hotspot feature on 4G let, and its blazing.

I really hope the open webos thing works out. If they can tweak to get rid of the buggies and lag, and combine with this kind of hardware quality, a comeback may be possible.
I'd like to see open webOS be successful too, but I'm not optimistic. On the other hand, Windows 8 has a gesture interface (not as good as webOS IMO, but still a lot better than pressing physical/virtual buttons) and I think based on my user testing at different stores may be an excellent product (haven't bought a Windows 8 tablet/touchscreen laptop/convertible tablet-laptop yet but plan to do so very soon) that could radically alter how people use laptops. The learning curve for Windows 8 is a bit steeper than for webOS but not dramatically so. Additionally, RIM will be coming out with Blackberry 10 at the end of January, and if BB 10 is anything like the user interface on the BB Playbook (which was very, very similar to webOS), that will also be a viable alternative to webOS.

Other notable devices:
Windows laptops: Asus VivoBook X202E (Windows 8), HP Pavilion g4-1215dx (Windows 7)
Chromebooks: Samsung Chromebook XE303
CHIP72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0