webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Touchpad- CPU Overclocking and WebOS 3.0.5
Touchpad- CPU Overclocking and WebOS 3.0.5

Old 11/28/2012, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello WebOS experts,

I'm new to the HP Touchpad. My initial TP impressions are that WebOS has a nice multitasking capability, is reasonably intuitive and has a simple to use GUI.

I have a few questions... and would appreciate people's expert advice.

My 32GB TP came with WebOS 3.0.5. installed. What would be necessary to add an overclocking capability running at 1.5 or 1.7 MHz (preferred) to this system? Is the Preware Uberkernel support WebOS 3.0.5? If not.. is it fairly straight-forward to restore my TP to an earlier webOS version (i.e., 3.0.4)?

If I decide to attempt to dual-root CM9/Android ICS (mostly to get NetFlix, Google Maps, Nook library and other apps) and WebOS and run into installation and/or operational problems what would I need to do to restore my TP to WebOS 3.0.x factory default settings?

Thanks

Last edited by Howard Glassman; 11/28/2012 at 08:39 PM.
Howard Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Preware and Uberkernel will work with 3.0.5. no worries. Plenty of overclock/underclock options there all the way up to 1.828 GHz.

If you want to downgrade the OS look here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

...but I'm not sure you will want to downgrade.

There are a lot of threads around about creating dual boot and others on restoration. CM mods are not my thing so I'm sure someone else is needed to point the way there.

Welcome.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 01:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

I use F4 Phantom kernel in webOS and 'Antutu CPU Master' in CM9/10.
Both seem to suit the TP hardware well.

l)
Mutoidi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 07:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
I use F4 Phantom kernel in webOS and 'Antutu CPU Master' in CM9/10.
Both seem to suit the TP hardware well.

l)
Since I'm new to the WebOS world.. I'm not sure which would be the best kernel to use for overclocking my TP- I'd prefer one that has good stability and battery power efficiency
Old 11/29/2012, 07:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Go with Uberkernel. It's stable and gives enough of a boost without fear of messing up your TouchPad.
Old 11/29/2012, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
Go with Uberkernel. It's stable and gives enough of a boost without fear of messing up your TouchPad.
BTW- It states in the Preware Homebrew docs that the "Touchpad has a 1.51GHz overclocking limit"). That's interesting since many of the overclocking posts mention successfully running at 1.7GHz. any comments?
Old 11/29/2012, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Preware and Uberkernel will work with 3.0.5. no worries. Plenty of overclock/underclock options there all the way up to 1.828 GHz.

If you want to downgrade the OS look here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

There are a lot of threads around about creating dual boot and others on restoration. CM mods are not my thing so I'm sure someone else is needed to point the way there.

Welcome.
Running WebOS 3.0.5.. Running into problem installing WOSQI.. When the program notices that I do not have the Novacom drivers installed.. it asked if I want to install it.. I hit the <Yes> prompt.. it then tries to install the Novacom drivers.. but is always unsuccessful - resulting in a <failed installation> error message on my laptop screen. I checked the WOSQI Homebrew Guide - problem troubleshooting section - no answers there.

Last edited by Howard Glassman; 11/29/2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11/29/2012, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post

Welcome.
No Devices Found screen appears. There are no devices currently connected. Please connect a device to continue. The USB cable is plugged into the laptop from the Touchpad??

Last edited by Howard Glassman; 11/29/2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11/29/2012, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Glassman View Post
BTW- It states in the Preware Homebrew docs that the "Touchpad has a 1.51GHz overclocking limit"). That's interesting since many of the overclocking posts mention successfully running at 1.7GHz. any comments?
The TouchPad comes with a stock CPU speed of 1.5GHz.
Old 11/29/2012, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Novacom driver installation begins.. but is quickly aborted.. then the <Device Installation Error> appears. . It seems that the PC laptop is looking for a Device attached to the USB port and doesn't see one.
Old 11/29/2012, 06:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
No Devices Found screen appears. There are no devices currently connected. Please connect a device to continue. The USB cable is plugged into the laptop from the Touchpad??
try rebooting laptop. think that's helped me in past.
ewl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...tializing.html

Some different options to try in this thread.
Old 11/29/2012, 08:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

I was able to install the Novacom driver using a standalone version- UniversalNovacominstall-1.3jar.. BUT I have not been able to get my laptop to connect with the HP TP.. it continues to have trouble seeing an attached device.
Old 11/29/2012, 09:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I was able to install the Novacom driver using a standalone version- UniversalNovacominstall-1.3jar.. BUT I have not been able to get my laptop to connect with the HP TP.. it continues to have trouble seeing an attached device.
I'm sorry you having trouble installing Homebrew or computer not recognizing your device ?
Old 11/29/2012, 09:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've got Novacom successfully installed.. and restarted.. BUT .. I've tried every which way to try and get my Windows XP laptop to see the Touchpad connected on the USB port.. nothing seems to work.. Spent a couple hours on it tonight.. As recommended by The WOSQI Homebrew Guide <Troubleshooting section> I even tried unsuccessfully to setup the WOSQI log file capture in the DOS command line prompt.. typed in "java -jar WebOSQucikInstall.jar -log". The DOS command line interpreter would accept it? These USB file transfers are sure touchy business!!!
Old 11/30/2012, 01:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

nothing like stating the obvious, but I assume your TP is in developer mode?
Old 11/30/2012, 07:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
nothing like stating the obvious, but I assume your TP is in developer mode?
Yup it's always in DevMode (webos20090606) . I tried again to capture a log file.. but when I checked the WebOSQuickInstall.jar logfile - its always empty so it would'nt tell anyone much about why it aborting the WOSQI install.. It certainly seems to me that the reason is.. No Device found <Error message>.. so I've concluded that my Windows XP laptop seems to be having continuing problems seeing the Touchpad attached via the USB port
Old 11/30/2012, 07:57 AM   #18 (permalink)

Howard,
Have you checked out this thread New Touchpad? Here's your "Get Started" guide
Very useful and does address some of the more obvious issues that a lot of 'old timers' have forgotten or just take for granted. If nothing else, it's a good read! :-)

Last edited by MikeN68; 11/30/2012 at 07:57 AM. Reason: spelling
MikeN68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 10:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
The TouchPad comes with a stock CPU speed of 1.5GHz.
I thought it was clocked at 1.2 GHz on the TP by default. Did you mean that the CPU actually supports 1.5 GHz without technically overclocking according to the manufacturer's specs?
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/30/2012, 10:41 AM   #20 (permalink)

SUCCESS.. I tried another Windows 7 laptop and unchecked the USB root hub powers saving features in the Device Mgr .. and wola!!!.. WOSQI Installed like a piece of cake (chocolate of course).. on to Preware.. Govnah.. and Uberkernel.. went like a breeze except.. Uberkernel failed to install the first time around.. I had to reinstall the default Palm kernel.. then reboot.. and Uberkernel installed successfully the 2nd time around.. the HP Touchpad now is running like Usain Bolt on a good day (well maybe not that fast!!!). Cool Preware apps too!!! I love this little tablet bugger almost as much as Sophie the Snoodle (my dog).. Now on to the kudos.. I want to thank everyone that posted to my thread (aka my desperate call for help!!!) for all their advice and suggestions, the webOS Homebrew team, the excellent docs on the webOS nation website (ncinerate for the startup guide) and particularly Jason Robataille for his work on the standalone Novacom installer (it worked like a charm).

Thanks to everyone... Long live the HP Touchpad.. or at least until my battery dies!!!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0