webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > engadget site no longer accepting pinch to zoom after
engadget site no longer accepting pinch to zoom after
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0

Old 11/27/2012, 07:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

After engadget remodeled their site recently, the stock browser on the touchpad cannot pinch to zoom to the particular site. Works fine everywhere else.
Anybody noticed?
i have only a few patches for gestures installed
youla stamatopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Engadget's new site design is "responsive", in that they created one template that adapts to different screen sizes on the fly. The side effect of that is that the TouchPad browser can't handle it as well as it should. I've seen this happen with several responsive site designs and webOS.

To see the responsiveness in action, open the site on a desktop browser and resize the window - the site should resize and rearrange its elements on the fly to fit the changed viewport size. It makes rolling out new features across desktop/tablet/mobile a lot easier.
Old 11/28/2012, 07:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the very comprehensive response. I assume that many more sites would make a similar move in the future and unless this is brought to the attention of the "community edition" project the pinch to zoom feature on the hp touchpad would soon be unusable in the stock browser.
youla stamatopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Many more sites will make this move in the future, but for a majority of them, responsive is far too complex right now to accommodate the sheer number of different templates and element flow patterns necessary to make it work effectively without bogging down the browser with far too many assets.

Responsive is still a technique in relative infancy.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's just another un-necessarily over-complicated thing someone that doesn't write code thought up.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 10:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not to hijack or anything, but as a side note I guess. I just looked at the engadget site, and the formatting works so well on my touchpad that I don't really see a need to use the zoom, and to be honest, I'd rather not have to use zooming, I'd much rather have every site set up for my screen, so I don't see this as all that bad of a thing.
Just my 2 cents.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
It's just another un-necessarily over-complicated thing someone that doesn't write code thought up.
I couldn't disagree more, and find that comment really ignorant and disrespectful; many of the people who brought Responsive Web Design and Mobile First techniques to the forefront over the past year are some of the best minds in the industry today--and largely expert-level coders. Ethan Marcotte, Paul Irish, and Luke Wroblewski among others are doing seriously amazing **** with what's already out there technologically and strategically instead of coming up with ideas that we'll have to wait years to utilize. And the amount of research material they leave in their wake is worth its weight in 24-karat gold.

Disclosure: The development team I lead (and myself) have met Ethan Marcotte. He's a swell (and brilliant) guy.

It's a win for every front-end developer out there: One codebase that serves all form factors, with content strategy that places emphasis on what's actually important, alongside performance. I suppose I just don't understand how that's so..."un-necessarily over-complicated" when I have junior developers happily producing production-level responsive code on my team already. Then they fire up Adobe Edge Inspect and see their code populate 6-8 different devices at once (along with some other devices Edge Inspect doesn't work with) and get all giddy when it works identically across everything from Chrome Canary and Firefox Nightly to BlackBerry OS7 and all platforms and their browsers in between that we're spec'd against. (Sorry, webOS isn't spec'd on our project due to non-existent market share and global and site analytics regarding browser share. I tried.)

Furthermore, the problems responsive design are uncovering are directly influencing the next generations of HTML, CSS, and to an extent even JavaScript through device independent asset display, deeper mobile integration, cross-platform and form-factor development practices, etc.

As I said, responsive design is in its infancy but most developers I know have grasped onto some level of it knowing it's the direction an entire class of sites--but not all; it's about the right technique for the right project--are now beginning to or are going to take in the future. It's already something I interview for when I'm looking at senior level developers and associate architects to know they're at least trying to keep up in the industry.

Here's a tip for your next interview if you're a front-end developer: When asked about responsive design, give them the response I quoted. You'll quickly find how vitally important it is to keep an open mind, stay fresh, and know who's pushing the boundaries in the industry.

Here are the books that set the whole ball rolling, for any interested developers who don't have chips on their shoulder and want to know more about these techniques:
http://www.abookapart.com/products/r...ive-web-design
http://www.abookapart.com/products/mobile-first

Last edited by dignitary; 11/29/2012 at 01:27 AM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 01:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

Sorry, nevermind what I said. I was just in a bad mood and said something stupid without thinking.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Thanked By: dignitary

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0