webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Want to get rid of my Touchpad...need help.
Want to get rid of my Touchpad...need help.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By j_grouchy

Old 11/26/2012, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

So I just want to get rid of my Touchpad...but I've never been able to doctor it or even get Android installed on the damn thing. I'd sell it as-is, but I definitely DON'T want anyone to have any of my personal stuff that I've put in.

Question is...how can I get this thing back to original factory settings?

And if you are able to help, make me an offer. I have the HP case and Touchstone charging stand for it as well.
j_grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
So I just want to get rid of my Touchpad...but I've never been able to doctor it or even get Android installed on the damn thing. I'd sell it as-is, but I definitely DON'T want anyone to have any of my personal stuff that I've put in.

And if you are able to help, make me an offer. I have the HP case and Touchstone charging stand for it as well.
I'll give it a shot.....
What happens when you try to doctor?
Old 11/26/2012, 12:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:

I'd be interested but as this is to replace one of my Touchpad that died thanks to the dreaded low power coma, I can't offer more than 100$.

For the doctoring, it's fairly easy.. just get the proper doctor for it, put the Touchpad in USB recovery mode and reformat it.

Problem is, once done, it'll ask for an account to re-load itself.

I know that if I'd get it, I'd go and re-doctor right away so that I could set it up with my account and reload my own stuff.
Old 11/26/2012, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Open Launcher and go to Settings > Device Info.

At the bottom of the screen is a large, red button labeled: Reset Options. Tap that.

At the bottom of the next screen tap the button labeled: Secure Full Erase.

That is a "Factory Reset" option. It will eliminate all Apps and Data, reformat the partition and reinstall webOS... I believe it just might install 3.0.1???

Not sure on the version it resets to.

You will be back at First Use.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 12:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

Question is...how can I get this thing back to original factory settings? <edited>
OP... one item at a time. Please do not post sales threads outside of the Marketplace. Once you get the answer to getting it back to factory condition, you can post it for sale in the Marketplace forum

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
That is a "Factory Reset" option. It will eliminate all Apps and Data, reformat the partition and reinstall webOS... I believe it just might install 3.0.1???
Nope. It will keep the rootfs as is. The assumption is the rootfs is read-only, and will always be in its original state. Do a secure erase or USB Drive erase (apps/data reset is not necessary), and then Doctor it (which will wipe data/apps).
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 01:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Except he has connectivity issues and has never gotten Doctor to work... Ideally he would solve the Doctor problem first, but as the OP has not done so yet and wants to get rid of the TouchPad, I don't believe he wants to tackle the Doctor issue at this time.

Full Secure states it "...makes it more difficult to recover your data..." and it should be the best non-Doctor option on the Reset list to protect whatever was once stored on the device from retrieval. He can't/won't Doctor, but wants to protect his personal data from the next owner.

Like the other posters in this thread, if I was getting a used TP I'd want to Doctor it before use. There is no guarantee, however, that the next owner will Doctor it or even know how.

Per the OP we have to take Doctoring out of the equation.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/26/2012, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, folks. I will try this out, rumored.

Sorry about the 'ad', Newman...if/when I get this thing cleared and prepped, I will post a new thread for it.
j_grouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0