webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > I need Christmas present advice
I need Christmas present advice
Like Tree4Likes

Old 11/25/2012, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

The present is for my 12 year old son.

I got myself and my wife a Touchpad last year. My son keeps "borrowing" my wifes Touchpad. He really wants one..badly.

For Christmas 2012, I was considering one of the following:

1) Amazon Kindle HD 8.9 32gig
2) Google Nexus 10 32gig

Kindle:
I live in Puerto Rico. Amazon will not ship to PR. So I have to buy from Best Buy or Radio Shack. Also, I have to pay extra for the power cord and $15 to take out the ads.

Nexus:
Costs more. But then I got to thinking.

3) The Touchpad
I can buy a Touchpad and add Android to it. My needs for him would be to:
1- Be able to stream videos via Hulu/Hulu Plus and Netflix
2- Access the Amazon Kindle book store (accessed via webOS)
3) Access YouTube (which can be done via weOS)

So, in my position, what would you recommend.
Kindle HD 8.9?
Nexus 10?
Touchpad

I am now seriously leaning towards the Touchpad. What is the most up to date version of Android I can install on the TP? Will my son be able to stream HuluPlus and Netflix from it?

In the long run, the TP my actually be cheaper and with two operating systems it's pretty much a no-brainer. But I need to make sure.

Thanks for your feedback.

-Koa-
Koa Feliciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/25/2012, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well it really depends on a variety of things:

Does your son care about form factor? The nexus 7 would be an awesome tablet (good for gaming, videos etc).

If you're stuck on the 10", the Touchpad is good, but the newest stable version (as of today) of android is Cyanogen Mod 9 (equivalent to Ice Cream Sandwich).

I wouldn't buy the Kindle Fire. It's really only a worthwhile investment in you're heavily invested in the Amazon Eco-System (Amazon Prime etc).

The Nexus 10 is good, but I feel the Nexus 7 is the most worthwhile investment in tablets. Ask if he would like a 7incher
Sheikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by bevcraw likes this.
Old 11/25/2012, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

When you looking into buying a new tablet, the HP touchpad while it's a cheap price it's not worth you investing money into a device that is no longer current(when it comes to operating system and apps). I agree with poster sheikboy with the Google's Nexus 7 with a low price, could also be a nice alternative when looking for tablet for your son(specially its only looking to browse videos or game apps). And plus, with a 7'inch tablet it will be more portable than a larger tablet like 10 inch...... So thinking about it, go for the smaller nexus 7 it's a great that comes with small price tag and it does everything what a big tablet does only in a smaller form factor....
Old 11/25/2012, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wouldn't go with the Amazon tablet at any time. I haven't tried the Nexus 10, but the Nexus 7 is a really good size and weight except for web browsing (too wide). Performs fine too, and has no frills bootloader unlocking if anyone in your family is into that. The TouchPad isn't bad, though it is getting a bit outdated, whatever you buy probably has a speaker crack, and definitely no warranty. But your son will be familiar with it, since he's already been using it. It's also a great device for learning Enyo, if he ever starts doing developer work.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/25/2012, 10:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you so much for your input.

I neglected to mention that my son hates the 7 inch tablets. I have shown him several in th stores and he is simply not interested.

Unfortunately, he is now used to the larger 10" screen size and going to a 7" is a major step backwards for him.

Really, the first time I showed him a 7" tablet (Nook), he scrunched his face and walked away. I'm telling you, the Touchpad has spoiled him.

-Koa-
Old 11/25/2012, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well... why not offer your wife the 7 inch and give your son the touchpad? Your wife gets a brand new tablet (and make her happy), and your son gets the touchpad he wants
Old 11/25/2012, 11:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd have to pry the Touchpad from my wifes cold dead fingers.

Question for anyone.

If I added Cyanogen 9 to the Touchpad, would that give him access to Hulu and Netflix?

Would he have access to the Google app store?

At his age, I doubt he would care or notice that he does mot have the latest and greatest Android OS.

-Koa-
Old 11/25/2012, 11:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Google Apps Store: Yes. I don't know about Hulu and Netflix since I don't use them.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 11/26/2012, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

hmmm I haven't installed Android on my Touchpad in a while, but I think Hardware Accelerated Video (therefore Netflix, Hulu etc) should be available.

Check out the forums over at Roozwiki.com, they have specific info on porting
Old 11/26/2012, 01:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

There is a build for CM10 which is based on Jellybean - I've just installed it on my TP and it seems fine. Netflix works for me in the UK, but I don't use Hulu so can't comment. The thing that annoys me about the TP android builds is that because it presents as a phone many apps don't work properly. I love flipboard, but the phone version that runs on all the CM builds is just terrible. And games like bejeweled etc also don't look right. I know they are small things, but things like that bother me and contribute to the fact I hardly ever boot to android.
Old 11/26/2012, 09:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks to everyone! I stopped by the Maketplace and was able to purchase a TP at a very decent price. I'll ne jnstalling Cyanogen 9 on the unit. Again, thanks for the advice!

-Koa-
Old 11/26/2012, 01:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

for a child id buy something cheap as chips, i bought my 7yr old nephew one of these as an experiment.

NEW 7" 8GB Google Android 4.0.3 ICS Tablet PC All Winner A13 1.2GHz MID WiFi 3G | eBay

and i liked it so much i bought another, then later an 8" variant i didnt like as much as the 7" - if price/accidental child damage isnt an issue then anythings fine tbh.

only issue with these si exploding usb/wallcharger, i just charge them via the pre3 usb cable instead, works wonders.
Old 11/26/2012, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
...for a child id buy something ...with these... exploding usb/wallcharger,....
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by treodoc755 and fxspec06 like this.
Thanked By: fxspec06
Old 11/26/2012, 04:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
you should have seen the wallcharger a 3 piece bag of nails that barely held together when "assembled" lasted about a minute then made a nice black mark on my power outlet, lesson learned, never use any foreign/cheapo chargers at all now, i just bin them and use the usb cables from erm, "better" products instead
Old 11/26/2012, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah, I have read to stay away from third party cheapo power chargers for just that reason. Good thing it did not fry the tablet. -Koa-
Old 11/26/2012, 10:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I bought my touchpad a few months ago, and it has been awesome! I installed android on it, mainly just for netflix and a few games not available on the app catalog. I have the cm9 version of android installed right now, and all of the games I have downloaded work fine. (no issues so far)
Old 11/27/2012, 01:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePalmPre127 View Post
I bought my touchpad a few months ago, and it has been awesome! I installed android on it, mainly just for netflix and a few games not available on the app catalog. I have the cm9 version of android installed right now, and all of the games I have downloaded work fine. (no issues so far)
what games? I had Max Payne and GTA 3(i think) which were very good but sometimes the mindless time killers like bejeweled are fun but I definintely can't get it working on mine.
Old 11/27/2012, 07:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

I think its amusing that these things were discontinued over a year ago yet, we are still buying them.

Last week, I bought 2 brand new sealed (not refurb) TP's for gifts. For me that makes 5 TP's that I have purchased. I'm astounded that they are still out there brand new. I was worried about the battery, but I already configured one and it still had 70% charge right out of the box.

Not to re-visit an old topic, but I really think they were too hasty when they decided to stop making these.
UbuntuIsGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 12:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UbuntuIsGreat View Post
I think its amusing that these things were discontinued over a year ago yet, we are still buying them.

Last week, I bought 2 brand new sealed (not refurb) TP's for gifts. For me that makes 5 TP's that I have purchased. I'm astounded that they are still out there brand new. I was worried about the battery, but I already configured one and it still had 70% charge right out of the box.
I'm more surprised that people are still buying these TouchPad devices, while there are more powerful, useful tablets and with manufacturer supporting them with software updates. While the TouchPad was stupidly was cancelled without any actual thought going into that decision at HP, what's worse its that they drop software support too. While RIM, Microsoft, including Apple support their hardware for at least two or more years...and HP smart choice was to disregard this community that still support and hold onto their devices and have high hopes for WebOS

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 11/27/2012 at 12:58 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/03/2012, 05:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I'm more surprised that people are still buying these TouchPad devices, while there are more powerful, useful tablets and with manufacturer supporting them with software updates. While the TouchPad was stupidly was cancelled without any actual thought going into that decision at HP, what's worse its that they drop software support too. While RIM, Microsoft, including Apple support their hardware for at least two or more years...and HP smart choice was to disregard this community that still support and hold onto their devices and have high hopes for WebOS
The vast majority of tablets out there are junk ones that are going for $50-$100 and are as old as or older than the TouchPad. I guarantee none of them, and even the vast majority of newer tablets, are receiving software updates from their respective manufacturers. If you don't buy a Nexus device or an Apple device, you are pretty much not ever going to get a system update.

People don't BUY tablets because they'll get system updates on them. People don't CARE about system updates, they only care if the devices do what they want them to do.

Strangely, though, Apple has dropped support for iPad 1, even though they do still fully upgrade iPhone 3GS. Probably because they realize they need to try to get people to upgrade their tablets to the new model iPad 3, otherwise they are pretty screwed in this tablet market.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0