webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > USB Mode
USB Mode

Old 11/24/2012, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Everytime I connect my hp touchpad to my computer via usb cable that came with the touchpad, I activate the usb mode on the touchpad.

Windows 7 asks me to format it.

Should I do that?
sgerbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/24/2012, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

No, don't format it.

If you decline formatting, does you computer still let you access?
Old 11/24/2012, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you can still access files from the device, set up SSH and WinSCP or FileZilla and transfer files out that way.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/25/2012, 11:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgerbitz View Post
Everytime I connect my hp touchpad to my computer via usb cable that came with the touchpad, I activate the usb mode on the touchpad.

Windows 7 asks me to format it.

Should I do that?
That's a bit worrisome... Win 7 isn't really reading the TouchPad as a device with an independent OS, it must be classifying it as an external drive and it wants to see it in FAT or NTFS format. Formatting would, of course, destroy everything on the drive and render it blank.

Do you have the latest Java on your PC? Verify Java Version

Do you have the novacom drivers installed? Downloads - universal-novacom-installer - Universal Novacom Installer - Google Project Hosting

If you already have these... Check that novacom is actually running.

Ctrl+Alt+Del > Task Manager > Processes Tab> scroll down and look for novacomd Application.

If you don't see it, it has been disabled at startup by something. Try re-installing novacom.

When first connecting the TouchPad, Windows should identify it properly and install some device drivers. Then every time you connect after that it should see it as a TouchPad.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/25/2012, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Novacom has no bearing on the USB Drive partition. In fact if Developer Mode is off the device for Novacom won't even be present. The partition itself is supposed to be FAT, though somehow it is corrupt or otherwise unrecognizable from Windows. Pull the data off, then format the USB Drive partition from webOS (mkdosfs).
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0