webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > down grading Touchpad from LunaCE to 3.0.5
down grading Touchpad from LunaCE to 3.0.5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mattmayatt

Old 11/22/2012, 12:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Is it possible to downgrade my Touchpad to 3.0.5.
Cheers for any info :-)
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 01:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just uninstall LunaCE from Preware. It's merely a LunaSysMgr replacement, and does not require restoring of the majority of the system's components.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 11:49 AM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Just uninstall LunaCE from Preware. It's merely a LunaSysMgr replacement, and does not require restoring of the majority of the system's components.
I do believe that is incorrect information and it might bork his TouchPad...

In Preware the path to Recover LunaSys is "Preware > Available Other > OS Application > Recovery > PalmLunaSysMgr > Install"

According to the LunaCE 4.x thread and the description in the "Recovery" app entry on the feeds, you only need to install the "Recovery" as it forces overwrite of all LunaSysMgr files. Be double sure though and read the WiKi in the first post by rwhitby for yourself, mattmayatt.

RumoredNow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Preware should have the original files backed up. When upgrading it first restores the old files, then installs the new ones. So as long as the backup is valid, there's no problems with uninstalling from Preware. Same goes with patches.

I don't know, but aren't the recovery kernels and LunaSysMgr completely new builds from the unmodified open source packages? I don't believe the originals can be shipped because the pre-open-source code has some copyrighted stuff in it that was stripped out later. I could be wrong, though.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/22/2012, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I think the problem with a straight uninstall of LunaCe would be that it wouldn't leave behind all the closed source files one had prior to installing the Open Source Luna which has been modified by the developers...

My (admittedly layman) understanding is that a Recovery Kernel or Recovery LunaSysMgr is akin to a targeted Doctor which replaces whole files and takes them back to factory fresh. It's allowable even though it's closed source material as they are simply shortcut restorations of a part of webOS you are entitled to through ownership of the device and save rewriting the whole device with an actual Doctor.

The Recovery PalmLunaSysMgr is the way I'd go. Just uninstalling LunaCE might leave partial or broken code in the files that would cause operating errors... I'm sure rwhtby knows the best way to restore if anyone around here does.
Old 11/22/2012, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Uninstall restores from the backup copy made, if uninstall doesn't work for some reason, you can install the Recovery one, and it will overwrite it with a fresh one.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2012, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you are uninstalling LunaCE, you could downgrade to 3.0.4 because I think all of your troubles comming from 3.0.5 and not from LunaCE
Old 11/23/2012, 01:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
If you are uninstalling LunaCE, you could downgrade to 3.0.4 because I think all of your troubles comming from 3.0.5 and not from LunaCE
The OP didn't mention any troubles. Might just be a hypothetical...
Old 11/23/2012, 01:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Cheers for the info guys , decided to use The Recovery PalmLunaSysMgr to go back to 3.0.5, and it worked out really well.
Nice 1.
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0