webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Newbie - Need Help - Facebook Password
Newbie - Need Help - Facebook Password

Old 11/19/2012, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of help. My friend's wife has died and her facebook is logged in on her TouchPad. Im trying to find a way to retrieve the password so he can access the photos and videos stored on her account via the PC.

I have come across the Impostah software however Im now lost as to what to do. Any help would be grately appreciated.
dotcomfreaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Sorry, can't do. The credentials stored are Facebook API returned tokens. Unless you know if it's possible and how to extract user data from the tokens, there's no way to get the password from the TP.

Sorry for the loss.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 01:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I would presume the best course is if the friend (when he is ready) contacts FB and explains.

They might just send him a file with the pics, etc...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

maybe on the web browser was also logged in? Then change the password?
battscrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

To those who want to help the poor man log into his deceased wife's FB profile...

It is understandable to empathize with his position.

However, there is no legal right for any individual to log into another's account. Even though he is a surviving spouse it is not ethical without explicit approval and cooperation of Facebook. Had she wanted him to have that password she would have shared it with him. Absent that, only proper clearance through the site should be sought for access.

No, it is not community property. Granted, it is not a bank account or a vault full of state secrets. Nevertheless, individual privacy laws are quite specific.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2012, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Had she wanted him to have that password she would have shared it with him.
It's disingenuous and somewhat disrespectful to their family to state this as fact without personally knowing the people involved. The snags with technological progress are exposed in the gaps it leaves in contingency planning for unforeseen circumstances. In an increasingly large number of cases, the reason behind not having a deceased spouse's password can be pinpointed precisely to a lack of forward planning because the person involved may not have thought to leave it in their will or in another similar legally-binding form.

This is how, with my 1Password install, my wife knows she will have every password to every account in my name immediately upon my passing, down to the unlock pattern on my Android phone and SSH keys for my dedicated servers. It's every bit as important anything else in your will, in my opinion.

You can never plan too far ahead when technology is making the rules for you as you go along. Unfortunately, many well-meaning people are caught on both sides of this problem, leaving nothing behind, and having nothing left to them for no good reason other than a lack of proper preparation.

To OP: Have your friend contact Facebook through the family lawyer. As RumoredNow stated, they have strict privacy protocols in place, and your friend may need to provide the death certificate and other materials in order to wrangle this information from them if he chooses to continue pursuing this route. Alternatively, if he can't retrieve the data you wish to pull (which is quite likely), he can file for a Memorialization request here: https://www.facebook.com/help/contac...05593649477238

Last edited by dignitary; 11/21/2012 at 12:28 AM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0