webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Any chance to get this working on HP TouchPad?
Any chance to get this working on HP TouchPad?
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By mivoligo
  • 2 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 2 Post By RumoredNow

Old 11/17/2012, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Check this awesome site: Silk — Interactive generative art
Unfortunately it does not work in HP TouchPad or Pre3. Is there any workaround to make it working?
mivoligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, OldSkoolVWLover and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked by Rnp, RumoredNow
Old 11/17/2012, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Cool toy. Looks like it doesn't take touch input. That's a shame; it would be a great time waster on a tablet or phone...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2012, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
Cool toy. Looks like it doesn't take touch input. That's a shame; it would be a great time waster on a tablet or phone...
Don't use see the phone version? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353182293.991326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11/17/2012, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyland View Post
Don't use see the phone version?
Nope. Not on TouchPad (advanced browser) or Pre 2 (stock browser).
Old 11/17/2012, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

BTW - works beautifully in Chrome, but the GF on IE9 can't get it working.

Now she's mad at me.
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and Vistaus like this.
Old 11/17/2012, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Works wonderful with Safari on my iPhone and Stock ICS Browser :/ Probably the useragent from webOS isn't recognized, maybe you can contact the author to add it?

Edit: @RumoredNow IE doesn't count xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11/18/2012, 12:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyland View Post
Works wonderful with Safari on my iPhone and Stock ICS Browser :/ Probably the useragent from webOS isn't recognized, maybe you can contact the author to add it?
That's not how it works, I'm afraid. Sounds so simple, though, doesn't it? For one, if they disallowed the webOS user agent, you wouldn't even see the site in the first place.

Independent web developers don't disallow or only allow certain user agents (much less want to go through the work of doing so, in most part) unless it's to route people to a mobile-only version of their site. Most of the time, though, it's just some JavaScript-triggered function based on your UA that spits out an annoying message telling you to upgrade "to a real browser" if you happen to be the unfortunate person using IE7/8 to view a website...but it still displays the site, whether it's working or not. Otherwise, they can't be bothered with it. There are literally thousands of unique User Agents strings out there depending on the level of granularity you want to employ.

It's the larger companies like Hulu, Netflix, and their ilk that restrict or "only allow" based on User Agents due to licensing and platform agreements along with miscellaneous but crucially important technological reasons.

Chances are (and I'm talking >99% here), the site simply uses aspects of HTML5 and CSS3 that the Touchpad simply cannot or was not designed to handle in its browser. I'll explain.

The Touchpad browser isn't nearly as current as it needs to be to keep up with the evolution of the web today, and part of that can be blamed on their use of older versions of Webkit all along the way with each and every release; the latest version is now almost two years old if you want to match up the version numbers to the release date. There are bi--no, huge--gaps in webOS 3.0.5 and prior that simply cannot support the kind of advanced sites individuals and companies are coming out with in 2012 and soon 2013.

And even since the last version of the webOS browser, the HTML5 specification itself has changed. In some ways, a lot.

Open webOS stands to correct this by updating the browser "core" to a modern specification and aligning the app experience with the browser experience, instead of letting certain aspects of Webkit only work within apps (like non-Flash A/V media, specifically), but blocking those same aspects from the browser. Not that this will help you, since Open webOS isn't coming to the Touchpad anytime soon, if ever.

When HP stopped updating Flash, leaving it at 10.3, people started noticing that major sites no longer worked as those sites upgraded their minimum allowable versions to 11.x due to technological and security concerns. Now, as HTML5 and CSS3 are being adopted as a much greater whole of the specification than it was in the days of webOS' as a commercial product, you're going to see the exact same problems happen on your favorite non-Flash sites in growing numbers.

Bottom Line: The web is evolving. Your Touchpad's browser isn't. Get used to it or get with a platform that's meeting those demands; there's no shortage of them, either.

That's just progress. On the web, it just happens to occur faster than almost anywhere else. If you want evidence, look here and you'll see clearly that webOS 3.0.x has suboptimal HTML5 support for a platform that was supposedly built to be the best on that same technology: http://html5test.com/results/tablet.html and specifically http://html5test.com/compare/browser/webos30.html

Last edited by dignitary; 11/18/2012 at 12:57 AM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/18/2012, 01:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wanna know why it's not working? Ok... i'll try to make this not too complicated...

Like dignitary said above, the webOS core web browser is becoming outdated as more things are being added by the other browser projects. It's stuck in a time warp. The web browser is the backbone of webOS, so this means that as time goes on, the whole OS starts to rot a little, even with all our effort in the Homebrew community, because the problem is in the binary, the compiled code.

Anyway, the app here uses an HTML 5 Canvas element to draw the colored ribbons. The Touchpad supports Canvas, so that's not the problem. Even the Pre does. However, you may have noticed that if you layer many ribbons one on top of the other, it increases brightness without increasing color saturation, so the orange fades to yellow fades to white, like sunlight...

And the way that's done is by editing the individual pixels on Canvas and rendering the image on-the-fly (instead of stacking image objects one on top of the other, which would have yielded solid orange segments instead of the incandescent brightness we see...)

And the image compositing method used here to produce that luminescence in the layered shapes, relies on something called "Uint8Array". Uint8Array is a data type (unsigned integer) and this object type is being used used to interface with the pixels (which have four color channels: red, green, blue and alpha transparency). Uint8Array is what makes it possible to animate the shapes so quickly, because without it, if the old way was used, the rendering speed would be dead slow... like dead rat stuck in molasses... i mean it. So the app could be written to work on the Touchpad, but it wouldn't be as enjoyable as it is in a browser that supports ArrayBuffer and Uint8Array, which are needed for faster graphics rendering... when you are blending and manipulating different color channels...

I don't think i did a very good job explaining because i'm sleepy, but if you like to check it out for yourself and read more on that, then have a look...

https://hacks.mozilla.org/2011/12/fa...-typed-arrays/

and here's one of the script files from the app...

http://new.weavesilk.com/js/noise.js

Last edited by Remy X; 11/18/2012 at 01:40 AM.
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Thanked by mivoligo, RumoredNow
Old 11/18/2012, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Just a note: Advanced Browser is the stock browser with some added utility tacked on. Fundamentally, it's no different than opening the stock browser when viewing a site. Same browser.
Oh ayup, of course Advanced is just a skin on top of stock. However, it is extra code over stock and that extra code itself might cause issues so I reported trying both versions... Pardon my accuracy of reporting.

And lest you quote my other post in a frenzy of over-correctness - I am aware that IE and Chrome are not iterations of the same browser.
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and Vistaus like this.
Old 11/19/2012, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

That is freaking cool
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 11:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

This works well on the touchpad using chrome in ubuntu chroot!!
Just thought I'd let ya know.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 11/29/2012, 01:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

This works well on the touchpad using chrome in ubuntu chroot!!
Just thought I'd let ya know.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0