webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Touchpad for sale on sellout woot
Touchpad for sale on sellout woot
Like Tree6Likes

Old 11/05/2012, 05:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

$179 refurb. 32gb TouchPads on sellout woot. Someone else can post a link bc I have no idea how to copy a link on my TouchPad.
dgcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: PrinceAlbert
Old 11/05/2012, 05:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Link: Sellout.Woot
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: PrinceAlbert
Old 11/05/2012, 11:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hmmm....good idea for a tablet at home at this stage? 6 months ago I might have bit on this one...not so sure it makes sense now. But, if anyone wants to make the case...I'd be interested to hear.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 11:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

$179 for an 16 month old device with no future support? I think thats optimistic as there must be nearly new ones on ebay for closer to $100.

especially now with the nexus and kindle tablets at a similar price point. Enthusiasts only really until something earth shattering happens in the market.
Old 11/05/2012, 11:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
Hmmm....good idea for a tablet at home at this stage? 6 months ago I might have bit on this one...not so sure it makes sense now. But, if anyone wants to make the case...I'd be interested to hear.
Hey Rockbeast,

I just got a 32GB WiFi TouchPad and I love it!!!!!

I gave my android tablet (Acer Iconia A200) to the GF and I don't miss it at all. I have ZERO plans to install android on my TouchPad.

LunaCE kicks ***. Lots of great new card manipulations to make any other OS user drop their jaw in amazement with how easy the multitasking is.

There are still enough Apps to make the tablet do pretty much whatever you need it to do. Since you have a Pre 2 @ 2.2.4 you can bluetooth sync to the TP so it will send and receive both Voice and SMS through the tablet which turns it into your phone while you putter around the house.

The HP bluetooth keyboard would be a must have. It really makes life easier if you want to be productive on the tablet. Check here: HP Touchpad Bundle Touchstone Charging Dock Power Adapter Fit Case BT Keyboard | eBay

I am running Plex at home for a media server and the Plex App integrated seamlessly so I have access to all sorts of streaming.

What are you afraid it won't do? I'm sure there are users here that can help quell any concerns.

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sq5
Old 11/05/2012, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
$179 for an 16 month old device with no future support? I think thats optimistic as there must be nearly new ones on ebay for closer to $100.

especially now with the nexus and kindle tablets at a similar price point. Enthusiasts only really until something earth shattering happens in the market.
Looks like it's sold out on Woot.
Old 11/05/2012, 07:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
Poor Rockbeast... He who hesitates is lost.

Hark! Me hears the sound of Rockbeast's foot connecting with his own behind.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jkromero likes this.
Old 11/05/2012, 07:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
Whew! Picked one up (for relative) just in time!

Now, need to track down a BT keyboard.
Old 11/05/2012, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

C'est la vie! It's not the best time to spend money. THe other day, I had a line on a used elliptical machine. A small gym was closing and having a 'garage sale'. By happy happenstance (is that redundant?), I was there the night before and they had a price of $20 for this elliptical that probably would sell new for $500. I need a little indoor exercising and watching TV while ellipticizing would have been awesome! I let my 'inside contact' know that I wanted him to hold it for me (he was having a garage sale right next door) before they opened their doors. Unfortunately, they decided to open their doors 1 hour early. It was the first thing sold. Foiled again.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 11/05/2012, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The bluetooth keyboard is definitely worth it! I find it a must have for the touchpad, along with the touchstone and HP folio case.
Old 11/05/2012, 10:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

There should be plenty of touchpads and accessories in the marketplace on this site
(Sales prices always less than ebay)
sanaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/05/2012, 11:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post

Hands down totally agree with your sentiments about the HP TouchPad. It's not worth that kind of money at the moment with a tablet with no future updates and no apps. Specially if you count that you be spending money(on a useless tablet) like dumping money down the toilet(excuse my own language). I think that with a bit more money people could buy 16GB Nexus device or an kindle HD, with more functionality pack in terms of features and apps.
Old 11/06/2012, 01:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Hands down totally agree with your sentiments about the HP TouchPad. It's not worth that kind of money at the moment with a tablet with no future updates and no apps. Specially if you count that you be spending money(on a useless tablet) like dumping money down the toilet(excuse my own language). I think that with a bit more money people could buy 16GB Nexus device or an kindle HD, with more functionality pack in terms of features and apps.
I think you misunderstood my point - I have 2 touchpads and use them both, my 4g has 8 pages of apps and is in constant use. I do not own another tablet and am not looking to buy one - but my point was about the cost and potential market. $179 is a bit high, id expect closer to the $100 mark, and any webos tablet is really just for a webos enthusiast at this stage, so it was just a warning. I hope the OP find one and buys it, but knowing what they are in for (ie an elegant OS experience with some good basic apps and an amazing community).

so to summarise:

I love the touchpad and still encourage people to buy one - just look around for a better price and be sure they know what they're getting into .

Last edited by steven_farkas; 11/07/2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: grammar
steven_farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 02:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
C'est la vie! It's not the best time to spend money. THe other day, I had a line on a used elliptical machine. A small gym was closing and having a 'garage sale'. By happy happenstance (is that redundant?), I was there the night before and they had a price of $20 for this elliptical that probably would sell new for $500. I need a little indoor exercising and watching TV while ellipticizing would have been awesome! I let my 'inside contact' know that I wanted him to hold it for me (he was having a garage sale right next door) before they opened their doors. Unfortunately, they decided to open their doors 1 hour early. It was the first thing sold. Foiled again.
I have a few friends who have them and are not so committed to webos as I, so I may be able to tempt one to sell for a decent price. I'll ask around and if I have any luck I'll PM you.
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Thanked by Rockbeast, RumoredNow
Old 11/06/2012, 08:05 AM   #15 (permalink)

Today Daily Steals has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" 16GB Android Tablet (Wi-Fi and HD Video Capture) for the same price $179. Granted, it's half the storage space...but...

Old 11/06/2012, 12:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcorn View Post
$179 refurb. 32gb TouchPads on sellout woot. Someone else can post a link bc I have no idea how to copy a link on my TouchPad.
tap and hold to copy

Quote:
Today Daily Steals has a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1" 16GB Android Tablet (Wi-Fi and HD Video Capture) for the same price $179. Granted, it's half the storage space...but...
I would still go with a 32 gig TP, sure some of the other tablets have certain advantages over the TP, but you can still load CM9 on the TP and have both worlds.

We default boot all three of our TPs to webOS but have CM9 on em for the time wasting apps.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jkromero likes this.
Old 11/06/2012, 02:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
tap and hold to copy
Thanks.
dgcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 03:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

no problem
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/06/2012, 06:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I would still go with a 32 gig TP, sure some of the other tablets have certain advantages over the TP, but you can still load CM9 on the TP and have both worlds.

We default boot all three of our TPs to webOS but have CM9 on em for the time wasting apps.
I will liked to side with OldSkoolLover(great poster that I have great respect for) about HP TP, however go for the Galaxy Tab tablet which it's a better offer than WebOS at the moment. The TouchPad was great YEARS AGO, not anymore. With the Android tablet from Samsung, you will have the support of Google biggest App Store, Google Maps among other services.

Yet, do know the shortcomings of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 about the lack of software updates (no Jelly Bean 4.2 for you) and you will be buying a 10.1 tablet that is already obsolete in terms of software of Android operating system. Despite all of that, still the Galaxy Tab has better specs than HP Touchpad tablet.
Old 11/06/2012, 07:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I will liked to side with OldSkoolLover(great poster that I have great respect for) about HP TP, however go for the Galaxy Tab tablet which it's a better offer than WebOS at the moment. The TouchPad was great YEARS AGO, not anymore. With the Android tablet from Samsung, you will have the support of Google biggest App Store, Google Maps among other services.

Yet, do know the shortcomings of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 about the lack of software updates (no Jelly Bean 4.2 for you) and you will be buying a 10.1 tablet that is already obsolete in terms of software of Android operating system. Despite all of that, still the Galaxy Tab has better specs than HP Touchpad tablet.
The Galaxy Tab 10.1 has a better camera, same memory, slightly larger and slightly higher resolution display (compared to our 9.7"), lower end processor, and also is no longer supported, and has been abandoned by it's manufacturer.

I can use your own arguments against TouchPads against you just as well. Seriously, why do you still come here, and constantly trash talk everything?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by steven_farkas likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0