webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > dongle for HP touchpad in india
dongle for HP touchpad in india

Old 10/30/2012, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Is there anyone in the forum who is using a broadband USB stick with the HP touchpad in India..?? If so, can you tell me which one works..?

P.S.: really desperate..
medico12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

can you elaborate what broadband USB stick? i am assuming you dont want to use a SIM card and get connectivity? is it locked/unlocked TP
tabletrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabletrus View Post
can you elaborate what broadband USB stick? i am assuming you dont want to use a SIM card and get connectivity? is it locked/unlocked TP
I think he bought a WiFi-only Touchpad and then wants to get a USB cellular modem like for laptops. The problem here is 1) drivers (Linux compatibility), and 2), that the USB port on the Touchpad (used for charging) is not powered, so he would have to design a circuit with a cell phone battery attached to the improvised connector that would power the USB modem.

It's not something for beginners or for idiots...

If i'm right on everything, he'll have to buy a "mobile hotspot" device and use that...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/31/2012, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

yes i m using a wifi only touchpad and i would like to know if there is any way of connecting a 3g usb stick (i currently have a mts mblaze).. I got some help from the forum for connecting pendrives with the help of a y cable with an external usb power supply which works fine on my TP.. So if sumone cud tell me a way to connect a dongle it would be way more helpful coz using these mobile internet thro wifi here is too slow and i ve to wait fr hrs together fr a page to load.. Pls help..
Old 10/31/2012, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabletrus View Post
and i m not sure what locked/unlocked means..:-( can u explain..?
Old 10/31/2012, 12:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medico12 View Post
and i m not sure what locked/unlocked means..:-( can u explain..?
He thought you have a 3G (cellular) Touchpad. Unlocked means it can take a SIM card from any mobile provider.

But anyway, your problem now is finding a USB stick that can take a generic Linux driver, and on top of that being a driver compatible with the ARM architecture (not Intel/x86 processor). I doubt it's going to be easy.

There is always hope, but i don't know how proprietary each USB stick is. The easy way is to buy a "mobile hotspot".... it's a thing that looks like a phone without a screen. It takes a SIM card and there's a battery inside it, just like in a phone. You turn it on and it becomes a WiFi hotspot that you carry in your pocket.

Just like this one... Amazon.com: Novatel Wireless MiFi 2372 3G Mobile WiFi Hotspot For North America (850/1900 3G): Computers & Accessories

You can look and find one cheaper, but this type of device will probably be the only solution you will find. On the plus side, you will not have anything hanging out of your Touchpad, so it looks more attractive.
Old 10/31/2012, 12:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

look into a MIFI device, i have a Uk 3 MiFi device made by huawei and tbh its excelent, i used this before tethering with the pre3, tho the pre3 still has its issues with tethering and sometimes my MIFI device still gets some use, its also useable for more than 1 device ofc, so you can rock your phone/laptop/ps3/whatever into it as well.

Three MiFi E585 review | Modem routers Reviews | TechRadar

this is the one i got at the time, theres bound to be more and perhaps this is a good solution for anyone who cant just tether via their mobile phone?
Old 10/31/2012, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

thanks a lot remy x and geekpeter.. I jus ve one final question.. What about the speed with these devices..? Coz if i ve to use a sim to connect is it going to be the same as connecting with my phone through hotspot..? I m using my pre3 to connect with TP thro freetether.. I don ve any problem in connecting.. Only the speed of it is very slow which is why am looking for an alternative..
Old 10/31/2012, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

The USB modem and the MiFi box should have roughly the same speed. If your phone is on the same cellular network as the USB modem, the speed should be the same as well.

I think the problem is that if you live in a city, and it is very crowded, too many subscribers are covered by the same cell phone tower, so the amount of bandwidth per user becomes smaller and smaller. If connection speed varies between day and night, it is definitely overcrowding/infrastructure problems...
Old 11/01/2012, 01:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

oh.. Then there's nothing much i can do here i guess.. :-( ok thanks a lot remy x..! :-)
Old 11/01/2012, 02:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hey, no problem Good luck with your webOS experience...

I also have a WiFi-only Touchpad that i tether to my Pre Plus, so you have my sympathies when it comes to connection speed. Here in America the connection speeds are a lot faster, but the "overcrowding" issue was still felt by a lot of people who use the AT&T's (GSM) network in large cities. It's improved a lot since, but most people still remember what it's like, with degraded phone call quality and dropped calls when a lot of people are using their phones at once, in the same office building... It has to do with that particular technology, and i won't be surprised if old cellular transponders from the US are now in India after being re-sold...
Thanked By: medico12
Old 11/01/2012, 02:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

handy if you have friends on different providers to see how their connection holds up.
Old 11/01/2012, 07:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
thanks a lot remy x and geekpeter.. I jus ve one final question.. What about the speed with these devices..? Coz if i ve to use a sim to connect is it going to be the same as connecting with my phone through hotspot..? I m using my pre3 to connect with TP thro freetether.. I don ve any problem in connecting.. Only the speed of it is very slow which is why am looking for an alternative..
It's going to depend on what frequencies your carrier uses and the frequencies your phone or Hotspot are capable of...

I see a lot of India carriers use 1800 MHz band which Pre 3 only uses for 2G (EDGE speed) which is very slow.

If you got a WiFi Hotspot device locally it would most likely get better speed as it would have the correct radio for H+ service...

Pre 3 specs: HP Pre 3 - Full phone specifications

India Carriers and Frequencies Used: Mobile Network Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So all hope is not lost. Just check the lists and do some comparison shopping.

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: medico12
Old 11/01/2012, 03:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Actually UMTS frequency is the one to pay attention to and they all seem to use 2100Mhz, fine for a Pre3. Problem may just be the bandwidth being clogged.

Just out of interest, are you using the Mobile Hotspot app or Freetether from Preware?
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 06:24 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
Actually UMTS frequency is the one to pay attention to and they all seem to use 2100Mhz, fine for a Pre3. Problem may just be the bandwidth being clogged.

Just out of interest, are you using the Mobile Hotspot app or Freetether from Preware?
I'm using freetether to connect.. Initially I tried tethering with my pre3's mobile hotspot that came with the phone but my TP didn't seem to recognise it at all and so I downloaded preware and started using freetether which hasn't given me any major trouble so far.. Except that once I switch off WiFi mode in freetether of my pre3 and switch it on again sometime later my TP doesn't recognise it until I restart my pre3 again.. Any suggestions..??
Old 11/02/2012, 03:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandharro View Post
i am assuming you dont want to use a SIM card and get connectivity
Read the post. He can't.... It's WiFi-only.
Old 11/02/2012, 02:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm using freetether to connect.. Initially I tried tethering with my pre3's mobile hotspot that came with the phone but my TP didn't seem to recognise it at all and so I downloaded preware and started using freetether which hasn't given me any major trouble so far.. Except that once I switch off WiFi mode in freetether of my pre3 and switch it on again sometime later my TP doesn't recognise it until I restart my pre3 again.. Any suggestions..??
That's a little unusual.

Ok, to be honest, unless you're running Ubuntu on the TP, you aren't going to get a dongle working (and even then it's only maybe).

As for the Pre3/TouchPad conflict, can you run through the method you're using going through the Mobile Hotspot app so can rule that out completely.

Oh, n does data speed change depending on time?
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/02/2012, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webOSnomad View Post
That's a little unusual.

Ok, to be honest, unless you're running Ubuntu on the TP, you aren't going to get a dongle working (and even then it's only maybe).

As for the Pre3/TouchPad conflict, can you run through the method you're using going through the Mobile Hotspot app so can rule that out completely.

Oh, n does data speed change depending on time?
ok so here's how it goes.. First, on my pre3, I turn on data usage.. Next I open freetether and turn WiFi on.. Immediately my TP recognises it and connects (auto-connect as per my setting).. I browse fine for sometime on my TP and when I'm done, now I turn WiFi off on my pre3 so that the battery doesn't drain fast and close freetether as well.. After sometime I'm reminded of some work on d net so now I take my pre3 again do the same steps as above.. But what do you know, now my TP doesn't show any available WiFi connections no matter how many times I refresh.. So I restart my pre3 and again do d same blah blah.. NOW it connects..!

as for the data speed.. Ya it does change time to time.. But never has it been as fast as what a proper 3g should be.. ( though the icon on top of my pre3 screen shows a big bold 3G..)
Old 11/02/2012, 06:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
ok so here's how it goes.. First, on my pre3, I turn on data usage.. Next I open freetether and turn WiFi on.. Immediately my TP recognises it and connects (auto-connect as per my setting).. I browse fine for sometime on my TP and when I'm done, now I turn WiFi off on my pre3 so that the battery doesn't drain fast and close freetether as well.. After sometime I'm reminded of some work on d net so now I take my pre3 again do the same steps as above.. But what do you know, now my TP doesn't show any available WiFi connections no matter how many times I refresh.. So I restart my pre3 and again do d same blah blah.. NOW it connects..!

as for the data speed.. Ya it does change time to time.. But never has it been as fast as what a proper 3g should be.. ( though the icon on top of my pre3 screen shows a big bold 3G..)
if your turning off freetether/wifi then re-enabling later, then its freetethers issue, it doesnt work again when disabled/quit/etc unless the device is fully restarted, its a known issue with freetether and the pre3. so all you need to do is just device restart when next you need to tether.
Old 11/03/2012, 04:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
if your turning off freetether/wifi then re-enabling later, then its freetethers issue, it doesnt work again when disabled/quit/etc unless the device is fully restarted, its a known issue with freetether and the pre3. so all you need to do is just device restart when next you need to tether.
That's what I've been doing so far.. But considering that the pre3 takes sum 3 mins to restart its rather annoying at times.. Then I guess there should be many like me waiting for a patch to fix this.. Would be really grateful if sumone does it.. Thanks anyway geekpeter..!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0