1.    #1  
    I just unboxed a new HP Touchpad last night.Pretty Cool.

I updated the OS to the latest version,it took about an hour,I guess to download,install complete.

So,I played around with a little Internet surfing,youTube and stuff,everything nice.However,I went to a weather website I go to frequently and had a little problem.My job requires me to keep close tabs on the weather,and with the Big Storm heading right toward me,I have to stay current.

This is my favorite weather site,the National Weather Service(NWS) here:http://www.weather.gov/

Problem is,when I tap on the map,nothing happens.Tap,tap,tap....nada.Never had a problem with the site before,over many different devices.

Is there a problem that I should be aware of?
    I just tried and it is not working for me either on TouchPad with Advanced Browser...

When I look at it on my laptop (Win 7, Chrome) it works... When I hover my cursor on the map I don't get a pop up window showing me a link URL...

When I right click on a portion of the map and select "Inspect Element" it appears to be encoded in html. However, I'm not expert enough to say if the linking feature is html or just the image overlaying the link(s).

In short... I've no idea why it isn't working on TouchPad browser, but suspect the underlying code for forwarding clicks from various regions might be written in something TP doesn't read without a patch of some sort...
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    It's using an image map, and supposedly the TP browser engine does not implement it. I have rarely seen it used recently (you see mostly HTML5 and Flash), so I suppose whoever wrote the engine considered it an unnecessary addition. I think the majority of use of this feature is reserved by government sites and sites made before, say, 2006.

BTW, to the OP, there's the AccuWeather app for TouchPad. It doesn't display nice overview maps, but you can specify cities to watch, and it can provide weather alerts if you check for them manually.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    It's using an image map, and supposedly the TP browser engine does not implement it. I have rarely seen it used recently (you see mostly HTML5 and Flash), so I suppose whoever wrote the engine considered it an unnecessary addition. I think the majority of use of this feature is reserved by government sites and sites made before, say, 2006.
    LOL as I was reading your post I was thinking not surprising for a government site. I could go on and on about technology and government... not always the individuals fault, but resources and other things get in the way too. Oh and independent consultants and companies outside of government get involved and make things worse (selling ideas and products).

For something like an emergency weather service page, can't say I am surprised, it it works it's not gonna get updated until it is incompatible with a majority of browsers.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Hey guys, thanks for the app idea... Looks like we need either a good weather app, or maybe somehow fold the weather data into the Google Maps app that's being built. I'll add this to my list.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post

BTW, to the OP, there's the AccuWeather app for TouchPad. It doesn't display nice overview maps, but you can specify cities to watch, and it can provide weather alerts if you check for them manually.
    Thanks everyone for the awesome information.So,I am thinking this is going to be a rare occurrence.It is just that after charging the Touchpad all day,this was about the 3rd thing I looked at on the browser,so I am feeling a little snakebit by the TP,lol.

I work a job where we need to know up to the minute weather and also what may be happening 50,100 miles away so we can make plans.I like the National Weather service site because it has just a massive amount of information at hand.It's nice to click on that big map to also see what is happening in other parts of the country for travel purposes.You can also type in a zip code,if you know it.

I have tried many weather apps but always come back to this.

So,my other question is,are there other browsers I can tryout on the Touchpad? Is the native browser known to have other issues?
    The TouchPad's browser is basically current as of a late 2009 era Chrome, with some additional features patched in after. It should work with most everything out there, that does not rely on things that are newer than that (and since most web sites target IE 7 or 8, you're usually pretty good), but there are a few techniques for doing things on the eb that just plain don't work. Especially in the case where people have specifically built things for IE.

The problem -here-, though, is that they use a feature called Image Maps, which goes all the way back to Netscape 2.0 or so. The problem is, that hardly anyone has used Image Maps on the world wide web since Netscape 2.0 or so. So, I'd have to guess that the feature was determined to be so very rarely ever used, that it wasn't worth the additional work to get it working in webOS.

On the bright side -- I can see that it does seem to be working in Open webOS, at least on the desktop system. So, we've got that going for us. Probably means if we ever get Isis working in webOS 3.0.5, that it would probably begin working.

In the meantime, maybe you could try the QtWebKit browser that's available somewhere in the Downloads section on this site here.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Hi Charlie... it looks like the image map issue has been known since over 3 years ago and still hasn't been fixed, so it's likely here to stay. According to one guy, the problem is one level below WebKit (the browser HTML engine), which would mean that any WebKit browser over WebOS would most likely have this same bug.

Does Palm/HP webOS 3.0 / Enyo framework support image maps? - Stack Overflow

However, since the imagemap polygons are simply a string of x,y coordinates, it is possible to plot them on a HTML Canvas element and fill the shapes each with a different color value, to later use a color picker system like the guy does here.

Click map using HTML5 canvas - rubydesigner.com

By grabbing the color at the click location the script would know which element it refers to. The canvas map will remain hidden, so it won't be a visual annoyance.

If you'd like to see some quirky filled shapes, look here... Decorative borders and the Canvas

So it is possible to build a weather.gov app for WebOS that downloads accurate, up-to-the-minute information and lets you use it as intended. It's simple enough, with the most complicated part being the HTML parser that needs to be built to read out the polygons before writing them to the canvas
    In an app you could just use touch events.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    In an app you could just use touch events.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    And?

You think my method doesn't?

Ok, try doing a touch event on a JPEG. Nothing, right? It's the image map area objects that are responsible for capturing a user's click. They are irregularly shaped objects overlayed on a plain old image file. You still need to handle the curved object boundaries. That's what my method does. It plots each polygon and gives it a unique color. A touch event is linked to a function that tests the target pixel's color against an array with colors that is paired with a 2nd array that has the URLs...

You click an object, the color is detected and matched to a URL. An elegant workaround compared to the other options. Because remember, the image and the polygon coords are fetched from the server... I can't hardcode anything.
  11.    #11  
    While I am not the man to write a new app,it sounds as if it is possible.I can work my way around the problem by using the zip code method rather than the map click method.

Or... you guys can write the app and just bill the .gov.But do it soon,if Big Bird gets fired,well,they probably won't take your invoice serious either.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieSheen View Post
    While I am not the man to write a new app,it sounds as if it is possible.I can work my way around the problem by using the zip code method rather than the map click method.

Or... you guys can write the app and just bill the .gov.But do it soon,if Big Bird gets fired,well,they probably won't take your invoice serious either.
    I might make time for this sometime this week, or the next. It will be the same ugly old map, most likely the page hosting this will be a blogspot.com blog, which will be a carbon copy of the gov't site except for a few warnings that it isn't.

The script will do the work for the main map, but not for the other pages.

This is only as much as i'm willing to do right now, because i'd rather build a "million dollar" weather app (for free of course), and there's only so much time i'm willing to spend in total. However i do want to help right away, because the zip code method sounds like a pain.

Please check back and visit this thread at least once a month, because that's where i'll post the weather app once it's done
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    I might make time for this sometime this week, or the next. It will be the same ugly old map, most likely the page hosting this will be a blogspot.com blog, which will be a carbon copy of the gov't site except for a few warnings that it isn't.

The script will do the work for the main map, but not for the other pages.
    Just keep in mind,that the national map is only the first step.When you click that map,you are brought to a regional map(covering about,say, a 200 mile radius.You click on that map and you get your local forecast and information.On my phone,a Droid, I open my browser and just go to the bookmarked pages for the areas I want to check,these local areas cover 90% of my concerns.

So,it is not terribly pressing for me.I will just bookmark the pages I need and all will be OK,and quick.

If you want to survey me,no problem,I can tell you the stuff I look at and look for,it might be a bit different than most people out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieSheen View Post
    If you want to survey me,no problem,I can tell you the stuff I look at and look for,it might be a bit different than most people out there.
    Wonderful, just what i need. It's the heavy duty users like yourself (i.e. frequent travelers) that determine whether an app is well designed and intuitive.

Because there are three categories of people, the complete "n00bs", the intermediate/advanced users, and the professional power users. I want to serve all three of them equally well, no matter what level of proficiency.

This way we'll have a weather app that will suit the average soccer mom, a truck driver, a meteorologist and even a competitive surfer... might be a lofty goal, but certainly one to work towards in the end

I actually plan to integrate earthquake data from USGS, aside from the surfing and weather data feeds, so that people like myself who live only a few miles from the coast would have a real-time tsunami alert in the worst case, when one is indoors and has no other means of knowing

The downside may be that with multiple data sources, the user will have to click through 5 or 6 separate EULA documents.

Anyway, if there are any personal quirks or industry related feature requests, bring it on, i don't mind at all. When i'll have something that's ready to test, i'll post it here.