Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By starbuckk
  • 1 Post By smooth3006
  1.    #1  
    I have just watched a demo of Open WebOS and the director bragging about how it can be easily be ported to a variety of devices. But what about HP's own Touchpad?
    Why in the world would you want Open webOS on the TouchPad, when you have a fully functional 3.0.5 on it with LunaCE on it. Open webOS, as I see it, is useless. Even if the homebrew community does get it working on some devices, it still would be useless without synergy or without an app catalog, not to mention the inability to restore your current backup. I personally am still trying to understand what the whole point of Open webOS is, at least in it's current form.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    No, no plans to do so through any official route. In fact, Open webOS project specifically stated they will not support legacy webOS hardware, including the Touchpad.
    There have been some rogue (and possibly slightly insane) individuals that have used parts of open webOS or Luna CE and scripts to try to get some things on current webOS hardware.... nothing stable and thus far appears to be VERY hobbyist from people that know much more about meta doctoring than me.

As Sanjay said what you are looking for really is webOS CE (Community Edition) which is the basis for LunaCE which is a modified version of open source Luna then all packaged up for installation on your device (currently in beta and alpha stages).

The core efforts of the official team is open webOS on non webOS devices, webOS CE on TouchPad (since CE is based off webOS 3.x).

The link below is an example of some of the unofficial efforts I mentioned above. (this one is specific to 2.x devices, so phones not TouchPad but is the first example I found of the concept behind it)
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...r-devices.html
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I personally am still trying to understand what the whole point of Open webOS is, at least in it's current form.
    It is a bit mysterious but there must be some reason. For profit corporations don't spend moey on stuff like this just for fun and they are still developing and apparently even have hired for work on WebOS. But no revelations as to why.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    I agree that there is no point to having Open webOS on the Touchpad today or any time soon. Open webOS simply is not a fully functional operating system, and offers nothing over the existing webOS 3.0.5. If you want the best webOS experience available on the Touchpad, you start with webOS 3.0.5 and add Uberkernal and LunaCE (and of course Govnah & Tweaks to control those two). Even if you could install Open webOS on the Touchpad right now, it would be a big step backwards.

If we fast-forward to a pipe-dream future where there are actual Open webOS devices on the market, and the Open webOS 'ecosystem' is beginning to grow, THEN we might benefit from switching the few remaining original Touchpads and Pre3's to Open webOS.
    I agree that there is no point to having Open webOS on the Touchpad today or any time soon. Open webOS simply is not a fully functional operating system, and offers nothing over the existing webOS 3.0.5. If you want the best webOS experience available on the Touchpad, you start with webOS 3.0.5 and add Uberkernal and LunaCE (and of course Govnah & Tweaks to control those two). Even if you could install Open webOS on the Touchpad right now, it would be a big step backwards.

If we fast-forward to a pipe-dream future where there are actual Open webOS devices on the market, and the Open webOS 'ecosystem' is beginning to grow, THEN we might benefit from switching the few remaining original Touchpads and Pre3's to Open webOS.
    I think the biggest benefit would be the updated browser (and performance in general).

Open webOS is by far not ready yet for daily use, but the guys at WebOS Ports are mainly doing the Google Nexus work to see what bugs they run into, what needs fixing etc. Bugs seems to be fixed quickly by HP or WebOS Ports. After the bugs have been ironed out I'm quite sure that we'll see more ports coming quite rapidly :-)
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Why in the world would you want Open webOS on the TouchPad, when you have a fully functional 3.0.5 on it with LunaCE on it. Open webOS, as I see it, is useless. Even if the homebrew community does get it working on some devices, it still would be useless without synergy or without an app catalog, not to mention the inability to restore your current backup. I personally am still trying to understand what the whole point of Open webOS is, at least in it's current form.
    it's not per say useless, you would be surprised what devs can do. but in case you haven't figured it out. the "point" of open webos was for hp to finally wipe it's hands of the platform.
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuckk View Post
    It is a bit mysterious but there must be some reason. For profit corporations don't spend moey on stuff like this just for fun and they are still developing and apparently even have hired for work on WebOS. But no revelations as to why.
    I agree... I've said a few times that we don't have all the puzzle pieces so we can't assemble the picture. HP/gram have yet to reveal much of anything. Granted, the release of puzzle pieces has stopped for a time, that doesn't mean there are no more pieces...

I keep thinking back to the Open release video and the Touch Panel PC that was shown... That was followed by the announcement that PE (Professional Edition) would be put in the pipeline for release in the future... That picture is just missing a piece or two, but it is sort of easy to guess what the final picture might look like, yes?
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I think the biggest benefit would be the updated browser (and performance in general).
    and I think those sorts of improvements will be back-ported to webOS 3.0.5 via the community edition code. We're already seeing plenty of benefits wtih LunaCE. I know not everything potentially good from Open webOS will magically make it back to legacy devices, but much of it will.
    what is next in the pipeline from the official channels? Browser should be coming soon right?
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    it's not per say useless, you would be surprised what devs can do. but in case you haven't figured it out. the "point" of open webos was for hp to finally wipe it's hands of the platform.
    So the devs can bring us the app catalog and synergy once owos is fully ported to the TP?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Synergy is not gone, only the proprietary plugins are. "Porting" them is merely a matter of copying the account folders and the respective services. Same holds for the App Catalog. We are in the luxurious situation of full file system access
    Not until OWO is a lot improved (with Synergy and stuff, because those parts are MIA right now), because right now, (other than under-the-hood tweaks and updates) 3.0.5 is better from a functionality standpoint. Esp. with patches and stuff.

Emphasis on "right now"
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive