Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By dkirker
  1.    #1  
    EDIT: Added a bad quality vid showing the widget/app startup after a reboot.

This is probably a horrible dirty way to auto start an app on bootup, currently i use this with Garrets 1st Weather Widget, not his second one as that requires pressing a button to launch the widget.

Im aware "proper" apps do this sort or thing another way? the wallpaper switching apps etc seem to manage it without doing it this way which is probably safer?

just edit /etc/palm/luna-platform

amend the [LaunchAtBoot] and add in the app name of the app you wish to install, so mine reads

[LaunchAtBoot]
    Applications=com.palm.app.email;com.palm.app.calendar;com.palm.app.messaging;com.choorp.weather-widget

i removed a phone related entry as im not using or requiring that function atm, no idea if it even makes a difference.

Ive tried the above changes then removing the app, leaving the app name in the luna-platform config, the deleted app with the leftover entry didnt crash or blow anything up, and re-installing the app makes it auto-launch every boot seemingly without any issues, and ive had this going for quite a while now.

the old weather app, opened a window and required you to discard it to get the widget in the dashboard, this way on bootup, the window seems to not appear at all which is ideal.

----

If there are other clever boffins out there, then im guessing 1 obvious thing would be a proper app to launch other apps/widgets/etc thus not cluttering up the luna-platform file, another would be for apps to auto-dashboard when launched, who knows tbh.

I know of a few apps that already goto dash when their main windows/cards are tossed away, is it a simple or stupidly dumb idea to add a command somewhere to have a card auto dismiss so they are forced to dashboard (if the app supports that in the first place ofc, like datajog/mplayer remix etc).
    Last edited by geekpeter; 10/23/2012 at 12:12 PM.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    have you tried mode switcher? lengthy setup, but does this and more in a different way.. I don't boot devices enough to use your method.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    have you tried mode switcher? lengthy setup, but does this and more in a different way.. I don't boot devices enough to use your method.
    that only works on phones doesnt it? coulda sworn the last time i tried to force it on the touchpad it didnt work.

i like the method i mentioned with garrets weather app in particular as no card pops up when it launches on boot, its just there in the dashboard right away, id be a happy chappy if other apps like inglorious-clipboard, datajog etc could do the same.

or did you mean: starter?
    Last edited by geekpeter; 10/23/2012 at 11:56 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Heres a quick dirty and horrible vid showing it boot on startup, quality is terribad, had no decent devices around that worked in the dark or roomlight.

Should work on both phones and touchpads.

Been meaning to write a startup manager to allow you to define apps to launch.
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    WknThDg, geekpeter and cbosdell like this.
    I would love to have a phone version of starter or modify mode switcher to launch apps in stacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    that only works on phones doesnt it? coulda sworn the last time i tried to force it on the touchpad it didnt work.
    blah sorry I've been tired lately.. haven't tried it on TP
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...