Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    This is an ongoing problem. My TP screen will not change orientation. It isnstuck in portrait. Rotation lock, on the action menu in the UR corner, is off. I've Doctored it to 3.0.5, 3.0.4, and 3.0.2 with no luck. I've done repeated secure wipes, still locked. I know it's not hardware, because when I booted into CM9, rotation worked fine. Does anyone have ANY way to get this unstuck? Even if I lose everything, I willing. Is here a TRUE factory reset, as in resetting so every bit in every storage is the same as when t was brand new? Can a dev work on a patch for this problem? I can't remember where I heard it, but I believe HP was working on a fix for 3.0.6. Could someone at the Open WebOS Project release this fix as a patch? Please help! Thanks so much.
    I've not heard of this problem, perhaps you should try the hardware tests in the Settings->Device Info->App Menu, just to see if webOS is even reading the accelerometer.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Yeah, the diagnostics failed, as did the compass (also not working). I read somewhere that this was a known issue before HP stopped work on WebOS. A fix in 3.0.6 was anticipated.

There were some rotation issues introduced in 3.0.2; sensitivity and speed. I'm not sure if total failure started then or later. Maybe I'll go back to 3.0.0 to see if that helps. I don't know what is getting preserved through re-flashes and wipes that cause this to persist.

Rotation DOES work in CM9, so the hardware is functioning. Also apps that require landscape succeed in rotating the screen, but the sensor is still unresponsive. All the games I have that use the sensor for steering, don't work either, like Deadrunner, Labyrinth, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I've not heard of this problem, perhaps you should try the hardware tests in the Settings->Device Info->App Menu, just to see if webOS is even reading the accelerometer.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    No joy. I doctored all the way back to 3.0.0, doing a full wipe after each install. Rotation still didn't work. After the install and wipe, I'd do an OTA update to 3.0.5, still nothing. I'll keep plugging away...
    It's possible to get raw accelerometer and compass data from the bootloader. You enter the bootloader by rebooting and holding Vol+ (the same way as entering USB Recovery mode). Then you can connect with Novacom (Java Novaterm is more preferred), and enter commands to stream accelerometer and compass data. I'll find the commands when I get home.
    To get accelerometer/compass data via bootie (the bootloader):
    1. Get the Novacom package from Palm's Open Source Site. (See bottom of Open Source Packages - opensource.palm.com - Palm, and choose the correct package for your platform; you may need an archiver like 7-Zip to extract from .tar.gz.)
    2. Install the package, and reboot.
    3. Open Novaterm. If you're on Linux and Mac OS X, open a Terminal and type 'novaterm'. If you're on Windows, navigate to Program Files, open the Palm, Inc folder, then the terminal folder, and double click on novaterm.bat.
    4. Press Control-Shift-C (or select File->Connect), and select your device from the list.
    5. You can do a accelerometer self test, but I don't know what the output means. Type
    Code:
    acc selftest
    and you will get something that looks like
    Code:
    r: 2 x: -7376, y: 5968, z: 22416                                                                                                                                                                
    r: 4 x: -3744, y: 2864, z: 11168                                                                                                                                                                
    r: 8 x: -1888, y: 1424, z: 5552
    6. You can stream accelerometer data. Type
    Code:
    acc stream
    and you will see a stream of accelerometer data fly past. Move your device around, rotate it, etc., to see if it responds correctly. Type
    Code:
    acc stop
    to stop the stream. Don't mind the fact what you type flies off the screen. Just keep typing, and if you typed it right the text will stop scrolling when you hit Enter.
    7. To test the compass, there are two functions:
    Code:
    mgt test
    and
    Code:
    mgt selftest
    mgt test doesn't seem to return anything if it's working, and mgt selftest returns some values like
    Code:
    g:810 mx:151 my:146 mz:152
    8. To stream magnetometer data, type
    Code:
    mgt stream
    9. To stop, type
    Code:
    mgt stop
    10. Type
    Code:
    reboot
    to restart and boot to webOS. Do not type
    Code:
    fsboot
    as there may be a chance of the kernel log buffers overflowing.
    I've tried this and I'm having the following problems
    1) There doesn't appear to be an accelerometer test in Settings but the compass test is there and the compass is working.
    2) Using the Novacom package, the terminal recognises neither 'acc' nor 'mgt' commands. I can't cd to /bin/sh

Where am I going wrong ?
    Quote Originally Posted by fourlans View Post
    I've tried this and I'm having the following problems
    1) There doesn't appear to be an accelerometer test in Settings but the compass test is there and the compass is working.
    2) Using the Novacom package, the terminal recognises neither 'acc' nor 'mgt' commands. I can't cd to /bin/sh

Where am I going wrong ?
    1. That's probably the screen rotation test.
    2. You need to reboot to bootloader. /bin/sh is a file, not a directory.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    1. That's probably the screen rotation test.
    2. You need to reboot to bootloader. /bin/sh is a file, not a directory.
    Thanks for your help. As you said I wasn't booting the touchpad properly.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    OP here. I ran the acc and mgt tests. The acc test showed it was reading the accelerometer. acc stream show lots of changes if I moved the Touchpad, and very slight changes if I set it down. The mgt test all gave an error message, and only mgt stream showed magnometer data along with the error. The error was:

poll_writecompleted: got i2c error :0x1300c8, retries=0

The data looked like:

mx:0 my:0 mz:0 ax:-320 ay:1552 az:16880

I think the 'a' numbers are accelerometer data, and 'm' is the compass. 'a' changed, but 'm' was all zeros, all the time. I think the accelerometer is working and the compass may not be working.

After reboot, rotation was still stuck.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    OP here. I ran the acc and mgt tests. The acc test showed it was reading the accelerometer. acc stream show lots of changes if I moved the Touchpad, and very slight changes if I set it down. The mgt test all gave an error message, and only mgt stream showed magnometer data along with the error. The error was:

poll_writecompleted: got i2c error :0x1300c8, retries=0

The data looked like:

mx:0 my:0 mz:0 ax:-320 ay:1552 az:16880

I think the 'a' numbers are accelerometer data, and 'm' is the compass. 'a' changed, but 'm' was all zeros, all the time. I think the accelerometer is working and the compass may not be working.

After reboot, rotation was still stuck.
    Sounds like a hardware issue, so perhaps the code that governs rotation in CM9 works on accelerometer output alone, but the regular WebOS driver also deals with the compass and doesn't have very good exception handling.

I'm not an expert at this, but it definitely looks like the software is not written to handle partial hardware failure.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I'll have to reload cm9. The compass was working, but I haven't reloaded it since I started working on this. It possible the compass failed in the interim. I swear I read on another forum, maybe xdev, that WebOS had a problem with a system cache or buffer overrun, or something. I've been searching, but can't find it again. It also explained that the audio quality issue was related and how. As I recall, this issue was introduced in 3.0.4 or 3.0.5., and HP was worki g on a fix to be included with in 3.0.6.