webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP touchpad charger uk
HP touchpad charger uk
Like Tree3Likes

Old 10/04/2012, 04:48 PM   #21 (permalink)

If you get the international charger kit then you can get the barrel to use from someone who might have a spare (like me).

Or go to webuy.com and look for a local store with a touchstone charger.

Whatever you do, don't buy American/Canadian based stuff, it won't have the right ends supplied
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 04:50 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I thought all the TP chargers were barrel shaped... the international pictures I saw all were barrel shaped with the interchangeable plug piece that is like 1/4inch or so, but the bigger part is supposed to be internationally the same.
They're the same. The difference is that the international adapter kit comes with a barrel for a Pre, not a TP
Nokia Lumia 920 (daily driver ) - HP TouchPad 32Gb (in daily use) - TouchPad 16Gb (out on loan to a friend) - Pre 3 (AT&T - unlocked) - Pre3 (EU - dev mule) - Veer Panda (AT&T - unlocked, dunno what I'm gonna do with it) - Pre (much abused n stored for sentimental reasons)
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Old 10/04/2012, 05:03 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagster View Post
any iPad charger should work so long as it's got a USB socket.
NO, it won't charge at any more than 500mA unless it is modified internally. The TouchPad senses the voltage and impedance of the bridged Data lines in its Barrel Charger and will only charge at full rate if correct.

I have described how to modify the iPad Charge in a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolrocks View Post
Thanks lab but I need the whole thing I don't even have the plug

Thankyou thankyou Yeh but is the iPad charger 2 amp like they suggest to use on the play book

Like this guy is complaining in a review of a charger

This is just 1A, 5V adapter and suitable for Palm (as it's written in the adapter - check the image uploaded by me). The usual HP touchpad adapter supports 2A and offers faster charging. This is NOT meant for touchpad. The box also clearly states 'hp international power charger'. If you use this for touchpad, charging will be quite slow. On the other hand, this is a well-designed international adapter that suits many smartphones. This may also work well for the Raspberry Pi model B that requires ~700mA, but I'd recommend a 2A adapter.
The TouchPad Barrel Charger is rated at 2Amps and the Data lnes are correctly configured to allow the TouchPad to draw up to 2 Amps from it.

The other Barrel charger is slightly smaller and being intended for the Pre and Veer Phones, is only rated at 1 Amp. The configuration if the Data pind prevents the TouchPad from drawing any more than a trickle charge if plugged into this charger.

If you have a US version of tthe TouchPad Barrel charger which accepts multi-voltage input, then all you need in order to use it in the UK is a UK 3-pin "Shaver" Adapter. These have a 3 Amp Fuse built into the adapter for safety because the UK Wiring systems supply 32Amps at the Wall Socket.
Wheel_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 05:14 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
NO, it won't charge at any more than 500mA unless it is modified internally. The TouchPad senses the voltage and impedance of the bridged Data lines in its Barrel Charger and will only charge at full rate if correct.

I have described how to modify the iPad Charge in a different thread.

The TouchPad Barrel Charger is rated at 2Amps and the Data lnes are correctly configured to allow the TouchPad to draw up to 2 Amps from it.

The other Barrel charger is slightly smaller and being intended for the Pre and Veer Phones, is only rated at 1 Amp. The configuration if the Data pind prevents the TouchPad from drawing any more than a trickle charge if plugged into this charger.

If you have a US version of tthe TouchPad Barrel charger which accepts multi-voltage input, then all you need in order to use it in the UK is a UK 3-pin "Shaver" Adapter. These have a 3 Amp Fuse built into the adapter for safety because the UK Wiring systems supply 32Amps at the Wall Socket.
Excellent guys

Thanks wheel nut in depth knowledge brilliant so wheel nut if I am forced to buy that charger if I can't find one in uk then just use a 3 amp fuse with it?

Btw what happens if I was to for knowledge purpose ask you what happens if I used 13amp instead of the 3 amp in the shaver plug and why does it have to be a 3 amp and not 5 amp or 13 amp
Coolrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/04/2012, 07:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolrocks View Post

Btw what happens if I was to for knowledge purpose ask you what happens if I used 13amp instead of the 3 amp in the shaver plug and why does it have to be a 3 amp and not 5 amp or 13 amp
We are going off-piste here but since you own this thread, ...

Unlike the US wiring system where each wall socket is star wired to the distribution board and protected by a circuit breaker, the UK wires large groups of wall sockets in a "Ring"; and protects the Ring with a 32A Circuit Breaker.

So besides our Voltage being 230V (compared with the US 110V), each Socket will deliver 32A continuously before the Breaker even thinks about tripping. That is 7360Watts which is about the total heat put out by your Kitchen Stove with the Ovens and ALL Rings at full pelt. However, this design is complemented by a Socket and Plug design which protects everything downstream of the Wall Socket by:

* Designing the Socket with the Earth Pin triangulated at the top and longer than the other two pins so that a foreign object dropped onto the pins cannot lodge itself between the Line and Neutral or Line and Ground Pins. The Earth Pin also actuates the shutter in the Socket which prevents objects being poked into the Line and Neutral sockets.

* Protecting everything downstream of the Line Pin of the Plug by building a replaceable High Rupture Capacity Fuse into the Plug right at the head of the Line Pin. The Fuse rating is suited to the current carrying capacity of the cable (or whatever) connected to the Line Pin of the Plug.

* Making it illegal to supply an appliance in the UK which does not have a Moulded Plug with integral fuse matched to the cable. Thus the IEC (Kettle Cable) has two versions, a 13A with a notch between the Line and Neutral pins, and a 6A version commonly used with computer equipment .. with no notch. Plugs fitted to light appliances such as table lamps, Shavers etc can have 2A, 3A or 5A HRC fuses fitted.

Now, you can buy cheap adapters on eBay, which don't have an integral fuse but you will NOT find these in the shops or Airport stalls here because they are illegal. Look for one like this 13 Amp Shaver Adaptor to BS1363 Fitted with 1 amp fuse: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

If you think my answer is verbose, I would refer you to the Seventeenth Edition of the Institution of Electrical Engineers Regulations which covers this subject in greater depth
Old 10/05/2012, 03:06 AM   #26 (permalink)

the simplest thing to do is buy a touchstone - amazon or ebay are full of them. I only just picked one up after a year of living with USB charging only and am kicking myself for not buying one at day 1. So bloody useful.

I also second the poster who suggested replacing the cable. I know many people here with palm phones and touchpads and ive never heard of the actual charger failing, its always the bloody cable!
Old 10/05/2012, 08:30 AM   #27 (permalink)

Try here

HP International Power Charger for TouchPad Buy Online
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 08:49 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
the simplest thing to do is buy a touchstone - amazon or ebay are full of them. I only just picked one up after a year of living with USB charging only and am kicking myself for not buying one at day 1. So bloody useful.
Don't you need the original charger and cable to plug the TouchStone in to?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 09:52 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoRn View Post
Get the international kit (1.0A) and the NA one (2A).
I know it's getting expensive and you end up with to adapters- one for phones and one for TP.
I wish I could buy the international kit but I can't.
Anyway if you have the TP charger either it's NA or UK version you can get universal one
like this oneClick to view quoted image

Les elegant and it adds bulk to the package but it works just as good.
That's serious overkill, just get a UK shaver adaptor such as the ones you get in the travel adaptor section of Boots etc. Cost a pound or two.

I use one of these (I hunted to find a black one so it matches nicely) with my US style Pre charger and it has been fine for a couple of years. The only downside is the folding flat pins on the barrel have a tendency to fold when you are trying to plug it in to the adaptor, once in though it makes a solid connection.

Most (if not all) PSU devices these days are rated 100-240v and 50-60Hz so there is no problem using them anywhere in the world other than the physical pins. Adaptors that do voltage conversion are therefore almost never required and so are unnecessary and wasteful (there will be some energy loss in the conversion).
andyhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 09:54 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
No, My TouchStone came with its own Barrel Charger AND a full set of international plug adapters.
Old 10/05/2012, 01:08 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
As Wheel_Nut said, the TP TS is different from phone in this aspect, it comes with barrel, and the cable doesn't disconnect from TS. The barrel is the same that comes with the TP though.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/05/2012, 01:57 PM   #32 (permalink)

And just to amuse everyone, the European Touchstone comes will plenty of ends, the North American one only comes with a US one

Last edited by webOSnomad; 10/05/2012 at 03:37 PM. Reason: sp error correction
Old 10/19/2012, 02:48 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
nope, it comes with a UK wall charges (well if bought from a uk retailer )
Old 01/07/2013, 12:08 PM   #34 (permalink)

Hi,
First time on here (ive just joined)
Ive just bought a 32GB Touchpad but without the charger, so ive ordered this :-

Hp Touchpad 240v Mains Charger - The Internet Shop

Hope it helps
wiggywinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 03:40 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywinger View Post
Hi,
First time on here (ive just joined)
Ive just bought a 32GB Touchpad but without the charger, so ive ordered this :-

Hp Touchpad 240v Mains Charger - The Internet Shop

Hope it helps
Despite the Product Title, that is a cheap Chinese Generic MicroUSB chareger which can be bought on eBay for about 3-20.

I would bet that it doesn't charge the TouchPad at any more than 500mA (unless you modify it yourself).
Old 02/05/2013, 04:14 PM   #36 (permalink)

This thread hurts my head...

Why not get a simple NA barrel and use a travel adapter?

I have some devices that are the opposite, uses a European plug and I put a NA adapter on it.

Easy, simple, cheap. The only ick is that it's a big plug, but since the European plugs are the larger ones, this shouldn't really change much.

And as for as using a non-Palm adapter instead of the barrels, I know that I wouldn't recommend it... both my Touchpad and my phone tend to see that it's not their "real" chargers and it's a crapshot if the charger will work (or work properly).

As least I feel that the Palm/HP barrels are of good quality, and are average price on eBay, or even on this site's shop (HP Power Charger for TouchPad - HP TouchPad Wall Chargers - webOS Nation Store).

Even other devices that I have (CL Zen MP3 players) have issues with many cheap chargers/USB adapters, but work fine when I go with my Palm ones.

Last edited by imfallen_angel; 02/05/2013 at 04:22 PM.
imfallen_angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0