webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > The new HP Slate
The new HP Slate
  Reply
Like Tree12Likes

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11/11/2012, 06:13 AM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
steven_farkas's Avatar
 
Posts: 362
I know this is an old thread, but its ironic how no one went back and quoted the "update" from the article about why HP chose the lower res screen:

'HP reached out to explain why it went with 1280-by-800 resolution in the ElitePad 900. The company wanted a 16:10 aspect ratio, which in HP's opinion works better than 16:9 for desktop business applications such as Outlook and Excel. With Intel's Clover Trail chip, 1280-by-800 is the the highest possible 16:10 resolution available, so HP had to decide between its preferred aspect ratio or 1366-by-768 with Snap support. Because this is a business tablet -- it won't be sold in retail stores at all -- the company decided Snap was less important.'

There's that word again - enterprise. (Something someone on these forums has consistently said is at HP's core). But hey, some people just never let facts get in the way of a good rant towards HP.
__________________
All webos, all the time!
HP Touchpad, Touchpad 4G, Panda Veer, pre3, and pre2
steven_farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 05:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
TJs11thPre's Avatar
 
Posts: 745
you're absolutely right. in fact i just spent about 2 hrs researching 16:10 monitors because i'd like to bring one home. i have a 16:9 laptop, and it makes reading email in a BOTTOM preview pane -- well a preview PAIN. ha

16:10 gives you another full inch vertically than 16:9, which can eliminate a lot of up-down scroll nuisance. if you are constantly in your inbox, this is important.

yes, the choices that HP made originally were wrong. their choices after the fact are becoming clearer to us now. NOW i can understand (although not agree with) their choice to want Win8 on their hardware instead of webOS, for business customer use.

but webOS could have been bigger than what Android is now, in the smart phone market; and i'll always hate HP for it, and I'll never own an HP branded product just on general principle.


Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
I know this is an old thread, but its ironic how no one went back and quoted the "update" from the article about why HP chose the lower res screen:

'HP reached out to explain why it went with 1280-by-800 resolution in the ElitePad 900. The company wanted a 16:10 aspect ratio, which in HP's opinion works better than 16:9 for desktop business applications such as Outlook and Excel. With Intel's Clover Trail chip, 1280-by-800 is the the highest possible 16:10 resolution available, so HP had to decide between its preferred aspect ratio or 1366-by-768 with Snap support. Because this is a business tablet -- it won't be sold in retail stores at all -- the company decided Snap was less important.'

There's that word again - enterprise. (Something someone on these forums has consistently said is at HP's core). But hey, some people just never let facts get in the way of a good rant towards HP.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 05:25 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
patapoof's Avatar
 
Posts: 726
as for me, I have no principles ...I did purchase a mini-desktop (compaq 150B ...not HP 150B) which is great and really small ...I use a 4:3 I-Inc CY199D monitor which is great ...the heck with HP and there relegation of WebOs to the trash like pez dispensers (I have a Touchpad and a HP Pre 3 and a Veer) but the longevity of the Touchpad I have is assured by the cyanogen mod Android 4.03 on it ...there is no such for the Pre 3 which I use for the small form factor ...when newer small similar items with keyboard (maybe blackberry) come out it may be time to look... but the point is, if HP made good stuff I would get it ...problem is, they don't ...
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 05:28 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
 
patapoof's Avatar
 
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
I hear ya! When I do boot to cm9 I keep swiping everywhere before realising it does nothing. #annoying
I sure wish someone would take enyo & luna or whatever it takes ...open source & port it to cyanogen so we can have all things !!
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 05:36 PM   #45 (permalink)
Moderator
 
OldSkoolVWLover's Avatar
 
Posts: 7,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
as for me, I have no principles ...I did purchase a mini-desktop (compaq 150B ...not HP 150B) which is great and really small ...I use a 4:3 I-Inc CY199D monitor which is great ...the heck with HP and there relegation of WebOs to the trash like pez dispensers (I have a Touchpad and a HP Pre 3 and a Veer) but the longevity of the Touchpad I have is assured by the cyanogen mod Android 4.03 on it ...there is no such for the Pre 3 which I use for the small form factor ...when newer small similar items with keyboard (maybe blackberry) come out it may be time to look... but the point is, if HP made good stuff I would get it ...problem is, they don't ...
SHHHHH compaq is HP


<- Has a Compaq desktop in office, an HP desktop as HTPC, various old HP and Compaq notebooks... Then there is all the webOS branded HP stuff I have.
__________________
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2012, 11:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
PalmPixi_User23's Avatar
 
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs10thPre View Post
you're absolutely right. in fact i just spent about 2 hrs researching 16:10 monitors because i'd like to bring one home. i have a 16:9 laptop, and it makes reading email in a BOTTOM preview pane -- well a preview PAIN. ha

16:10 gives you another full inch vertically than 16:9, which can eliminate a lot of up-down scroll nuisance. if you are constantly in your inbox, this is important.

yes, the choices that HP made originally were wrong. their choices after the fact are becoming clearer to us now. NOW i can understand (although not agree with) their choice to want Win8 on their hardware instead of webOS, for business customer use.

but webOS could have been bigger than what Android is now, in the smart phone market; and i'll always hate HP for it, and I'll never own an HP branded product just on general principle.
I certainly agree WebOS could have been much bigger than the stupid windows 8 tablets or the Android operating, yet HP abandoned the platform to go with Windows 8. With all the incompetence at HP headquarters I super duper HATE HP

Please, TRY NOT TO BUY HP PRODUCTS
__________________
Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/19/2012, 02:41 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 195
Emirates Airline Serves Up New Inflight Experiences with Windows 8
Once again this is a BUSINESS class tablet running a FULL Windows 8 (not a mobile OS). Get your facts straight peeps.
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 12/27/2012, 09:21 PM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I certainly agree WebOS could have been much bigger than the stupid windows 8 tablets or the Android operating, yet HP abandoned the platform to go with Windows 8. With all the incompetence at HP headquarters I super duper HATE HP

Please, TRY NOT TO BUY HP PRODUCTS
Yes i agree hp did mess up with Web OS, and abandoned touchpad buyers, I bought one on day one still
Using it, will not buy hp products, except. New 32GB Touchpad. Just found one to go with 16GB original I have,
Still a good OS, nothing matches it,
Traderhorn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 12:35 AM   #49 (permalink)
Member
 
ariker01's Avatar
 
Posts: 367
I would prefer to go with the Envy X2 than the 900. Makes a great hybrid PC.
ariker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 02:25 AM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
steven_farkas's Avatar
 
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariker01 View Post
I would prefer to go with the Envy X2 than the 900. Makes a great hybrid PC.
yeah, and review so far seem to indicate the HP is at or near the top of the various ones out at the moment. Not sure about the ATOM processor when using it as a laptop..might be found wanting, depending what you do with it. The 900 looks good though, I had my hands on one recently..definitely a business class device.
__________________
All webos, all the time!
HP Touchpad, Touchpad 4G, Panda Veer, pre3, and pre2
steven_farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 05:12 PM   #51 (permalink)
Member
 
ariker01's Avatar
 
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
yeah, and review so far seem to indicate the HP is at or near the top of the various ones out at the moment. Not sure about the ATOM processor when using it as a laptop..might be found wanting, depending what you do with it. The 900 looks good though, I had my hands on one recently..definitely a business class device.
The Atom processor does lack, but Windows 8 really does not use much processing power or RAM. Their new streamlined apps are very light on the processor unless you are working with backwards compatible software.
ariker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0