webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > The new HP Slate
The new HP Slate
Like Tree12Likes

Old 10/01/2012, 11:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
Im gonna disagree with you on the touchpad. I think it was a great tablet at the time. Still use mine everyday. Think webOS was great on it, and am happy they made it even if for a brief point in time. I feel price was the only real problem with the touchpad. I believe it would have been a hit if priced reasonably. Using it to type this right now!
It was more speaking about the cheap plastic quality of the TouchPad hardware, compared with the new HP tablets running on Windows 8. I tend to agree with him, with some things about the TouchPad its just not its highest quality. There is no reason that within less than six month of use, users reports that the area in the speaker grills were breaking off or shattering.

Does people still use Palm WebOS TouchPads nowadays ?

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 10/02/2012 at 08:51 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/01/2012, 11:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
News Contributor

Videos of the tablet on youtube:

HP CEO Meg Whitman on the New HP ElitePad Tablet - YouTube

HP ElitePad: A True Tablet for Business - YouTube
akitayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 08:48 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
What irks me the most about this is not that it's running windows 8 and not webOS.

I'm coming to realize (to be honest have already realized but refusing to believe it) that webOS as we have all known it is dead. At least for the reasons that I came to love it.

No what irks me the most is the effort hp put into the hardware of this product as opposed to the touch pad hardwar... The latter was a half *** effort of a reject android hardware that was changed to run WEBOS.

I cannot emphasize how much I hate hp. I know it's just a company and webOS is just an operating system and life goes on but hp just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth.
Remember, their customers are mostly businesses, not us lowly consumers. That was the problem from the start and everyone is forgetting that. If we all look at it like that, it can be clearly seen that our beloved webOS was doomed from the beginning.
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 08:49 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
It was more speaking about the cheap plastic quality of the TouchPad hardware, compared with the new HP tablets running on WebOS. I tend to agree with him, with some things about the TouchPad its just not its highest quality. There is no reason that within less than six month of use, users reports that the area in the speaker grills were breaking off or shattering.

Does people still use Palm WebOS TouchPads nowadays ?
I have 2, work great.
khazoury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 01:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

1280x800 is not bad for Windows OS on 10" device. Higher resolution would look better in specs, but users would have problem with too small text and other visuals, at least I would. Actually, I like it.
If MS succeed to position Windows 8 as business platform, those tablet - notebook hybrids will become successfull.
Old 10/02/2012, 06:08 PM   #26 (permalink)

Read a tweet last night that HP claims the lack of snap was a choice and not an accident because they don't see snap as being useful to enterprise.

I replied that I will have to tell that to the IE phone system interface on my win7 work setup that is ALWAYS (defaults when I log in) to be snapped to the left of my screen so it doesn't completely cover my other software when brought to the front...
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/02/2012, 08:25 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
Im gonna disagree with you on the touchpad. I think it was a great tablet at the time. Still use mine everyday. Think webOS was great on it, and am happy they made it even if for a brief point in time. I feel price was the only real problem with the touchpad. I believe it would have been a hit if priced reasonably. Using it to type this right now!
Specwise the touchpad was loaded. Build wise, it was not that great. The device was panned hardware wise by all the reviews. While that may not matter to us, it did and does matter to the average consumer who doesn't know much about tablets but may have been contemplating the device because it was made by hp, known to consumers as a (relatively) strong pc manufacturer.
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 12:20 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khazoury View Post
I have 2, work great.
Good for you.....Surprising and shocking to see, people still use the Palm TouchPad. Despite the recent negative news from Stupid HP and their unqualified CEO, that people joy in using the HP tablet device.....sadly mine is stashed away at its original box collecting dust, Thanks HP

Talking other positive things, hoping to see what could be of the ports from the webOS internal team could do to move things from Open WebOS components(such as faster acceleration and maybe Isis Engine) to our legacy devices.
Old 10/06/2012, 04:38 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
Not 'everyone' is as bitter and twisted as you

you're entitled to your opinion, but don't lump me in with "everyone"
they could simply offer OS choice: M$ or G+ or Palm ...why not? ...and if you don't like what you get, you simply go on their site and get the firmware for the other... so simple even a pez dispenser salesgirl could do it !!
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/06/2012, 05:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Good for you.....Surprising and shocking to see, people still use the Palm TouchPad. Despite the recent negative news from Stupid HP and their unqualified CEO, that people joy in using the HP tablet device.....sadly mine is stashed away at its original box collecting dust, Thanks HP

Talking other positive things, hoping to see what could be of the ports from the webOS internal team could do to move things from Open WebOS components(such as faster acceleration and maybe Isis Engine) to our legacy devices.
I think you're the only one on this site that openly admits to being both a "Proud Owner" & having your TouchPad "stashed away at its original box collecting dust" because it's "unusable". So being that this is webOS Nation....it shouldn't be too surprising that people around here, myself included, use their TouchPads on a daily basis.

Even though I've switched phones, does not mean I prefer CM9 over webOS on my TouchPad.
Old 10/06/2012, 05:50 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
they could simply offer OS choice: M$ or G+ or Palm ...why not? ...and if you don't like what you get, you simply go on their site and get the firmware for the other... so simple even a pez dispenser salesgirl could do it !!
In a perfect world.....
Old 10/06/2012, 05:56 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
Specwise the touchpad was loaded. Build wise, it was not that great. The device was panned hardware wise by all the reviews. While that may not matter to us, it did and does matter to the average consumer who doesn't know much about tablets but may have been contemplating the device because it was made by hp, known to consumers as a (relatively) strong pc manufacturer.
I don't think build-wise, it was that bad. I have both speakers cracked, less than an inch long, on both. Looking at the right speaker, I definitely dropped it hard.(at least once, many other times as well)..there's a pretty good gouge that dents right into the speaker grille. It could have been better, but for the amount that I took it took it to work, every single day...sitting on the passenger seat, dropped several dozen times )I am not known to be gentle with electronics of any sort), so considering the abuse I've put it through.....this thing is a tank.
Old 10/06/2012, 06:06 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
I think you're the only one on this site that openly admits to being both a "Proud Owner" & having your TouchPad "stashed away at its original box collecting dust" because it's "unusable". So being that this is webOS Nation....it shouldn't be too surprising that people around here, myself included, use their TouchPads on a daily basis.

Even though I've switched phones, does not mean I prefer CM9 over webOS on my TouchPad.
...but, sadly, hafta boot cyanogen 9 mod to view my surveilance cameras ...such basic software should have gotten the attention of someone ...at a few bucks a pop one could pay the rent and serve the dwindling webos public ...I intend to keep my touchpad cuz I like it but may jump off my pre3 since no mod is in the offing for that... 2bad
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/22/2012, 01:55 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:

Mine sets on the touchstone and i use it as a desk clock:.
Gene588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 01:36 AM   #35 (permalink)

mine's in daily use, connects to my company's VPN, email, reading and watching videos. why have a device and not use it?
Old 10/23/2012, 02:07 AM   #36 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene588 View Post
Mine sets on the touchstone and i use it as a desk clock:.
Just went out of my way to acquire a TouchPad... I gave the GF my Android Tablet quite gladly.

I have ZERO plans to put CM on it. Received it just today and I'm already enjoying webOS goodness enhanced by LunaCE... I even purchased Picsel Smart Office.

I'm sure I'll use just as much, or more even, than I did the Iconia A200...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/23/2012, 07:49 AM   #37 (permalink)

I hear ya! When I do boot to cm9 I keep swiping everywhere before realising it does nothing. #annoying
Old 10/23/2012, 12:49 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post

Yes, I admit it and say it proudly that currently the TouchPad WebOS doesn't meet the demands of many people due to that this OS its getting a bit old and its no future updates from HP (makes this Palm Tablet even more obsolete). The bugs that it currently has such its poor performance of the web browser(makes it a killer), sound problems with speaker, no threaded emails, no folder app support, no flash player 11 update, lack of support for chat protocol still missing in the app messenger in WebOS, no Voice-assistant within the OS like iOS 6 or Google Jelly Bean.

My list could continue to name more things that makes this tablet obsolete, but of course it kind of pointless since HP and the WebOS team seem not to care much anymore. Sad, cause they should be reminded that TouchPad will remain device that runs WebOS and for that matter is should be regularly updated frequently with updates like the rumored but never released version of WebOS 3.0.6. Now where is that at ? HP please,
Old 10/23/2012, 01:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Yes, I admit it and say it proudly that currently the TouchPad WebOS doesn't meet the demands of many people due to that this OS its getting a bit old and its no future updates from HP (makes this Palm Tablet even more obsolete). The bugs that it currently has such its poor performance of the web browser(makes it a killer), sound problems with speaker, no threaded emails, no folder app support, no flash player 11 update, lack of support for chat protocol still missing in the app messenger in WebOS, no Voice-assistant within the OS like iOS 6 or Google Jelly Bean.

My list could continue to name more things that makes this tablet obsolete, but of course it kind of pointless since HP and the WebOS team seem not to care much anymore. Sad, cause they should be reminded that TouchPad will remain device that runs WebOS and for that matter is should be regularly updated frequently with updates like the rumored but never released version of WebOS 3.0.6. Now where is that at ? HP please,
Yet in the interim between now and the complete disintegration of the TouchPad, wouldn't you rather try to get some use and happiness out of it? Better to try and let the resentments go and move forward with what the device CAN do, rather than focus on what it can not...

If you can't seem to bring yourself to that point - perhaps there is a respected Developer you could donate it to so it doesn't die from dust inhalation?
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by webos_ftw likes this.
Old 11/11/2012, 02:39 AM   #40 (permalink)

apologies if i'm late to the conversation again...but yeah, the keyword is ENTERPRISE market. that's the consumer base HP wants, and HP would rather offer a TP with the marketability of full blown windows 8, rather than any mobile OS, no matter how good it is.

because they're idiots of course. webOS could have been the platform to bring Linux to the masses, instead of Android. imagine if HP didn't buy Palm? it could have smothered droid. now i blame verizon too, who supposedly had first dibs on the Pre and passed it to Sprint, which didn't have the customer base Pre needed to gain popularity.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0