Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PersonaNonGrata
  1.    #1  
    I have recently encountered a strange issue when charging my TP. The scenario is that the TP is completely discharged and I had been running CM9. When I plug the TP into the non-HP cylinder charger, I get a screen message that says the device requires more power than is provided. Even leaving the device plugged in overnight will not revive the TP. But as soon as I switch to the cylinder HP charger, the CM9 Boot animation starts and the device reboots and starts charging.

Any idea how to charge the device without the HP charger?
    There's some special wiring going on inside the barrel charger. There's a detailed thread regarding that, but I can't remember what it was called. Here's a result off Google: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html
    there is no special wiring lol . The charger your using just isn't providing enough amperage to properly charge the Tpad . If you get a 2amp charger I believe it is . It will work fine. If you use a regular preł charger you get the same message.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The battery charges as long as the charger provides enough current to both power the TP and provide a little extra for charging. The message is just a warning that the TP's large battery may take a very long time to charge when your charger doesn't provide much extra current for charging, but it will still charge if you give it long enough. The standard 2-amp charger will charge the TP in 3.5 hours. A 1-amp charger takes about 8 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    there is no special wiring lol . The charger your using just isn't providing enough amperage to properly charge the Tpad . If you get a 2amp charger I believe it is . It will work fine. If you use a regular preł charger you get the same message.
    Nonsense! The TouchPad Charger has proprietary configuration on the Data lines inside the Charger to allow the TouchPad to recognise that the Charger is capable of charging it. If the TouchPad doesn't sense this, it will give you the message you are seeing and set itself in Trickle Charge mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    The battery charges as long as the charger provides enough current to both power the TP and provide a little extra for charging. The message is just a warning that the TP's large battery may take a very long time to charge when your charger doesn't provide much extra current for charging, but it will still charge if you give it long enough. The standard 2-amp charger will charge the TP in 3.5 hours. A 1-amp charger takes about 8 hours.
    If, by "standard 2-amp charger" you mean the HP Barrel charger then you are correct that the TP takes about 3.5 hours to charge.

With other chargers not specifically configured for the TouchPad, the TouchPad will NOT draw more than 500mA from the charger. When switched OFF, this may be enough to charge the TouchPad in ~ 12 hours but with the TouchPad running, the TouchPad uses ~600mA so will slowly discharge the battery.
  6.    #6  
    I believe the issue is that when the TP has CM9 on it, as soon as I plug it in to the barrel charger it goes into a reboot cycle when the battery is discharged. With a non barrel charger, the TP won't get enough power even though it tries to boot, so in essence it will never charge. Just a theory as to what is happening but the fact is that when the battery is discharged, I can only get it to charge with the barrel charger.
    this is the 4th my touchpad charger cable i had to buy in the past 10 months,OOO,this is the 2nd adopter i pay.
    why the charger,esp.the cable so easy got damaged?
    after i use a new charger cable maybe 10-15 times,it got so loose when i plug.of couse ,it damage again.
    O my HP co.!can you PLEASE send me a dozen charger cables for free or give me a whole set really strong charger???????
    There are two separate problems with the MicroUSB cables used to charge the TPad.

1) Most of the non-HP cables I have bought have inadequate gauge wire for the 2Amps drawn by the TPad. This results in excessive volt drop in the cable.

2) The MicroUSB connector is too fragile for the 2Amps charging current and the frequent plugging cycles.

I have resorted to making up my own cables from Shielded 24 AWG USB A cables and soldered MicroUSB Plugs.
    I use touchstones for all my discontinued webOS devices, they work like a charm. Not what anyone wants to hear probably but its a good idea to save those USB ports.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    With other chargers not specifically configured for the TouchPad, the TouchPad will NOT draw more than 500mA from the charger. When switched OFF, this may be enough to charge the TouchPad in ~ 12 hours but with the TouchPad running, the TouchPad uses ~600mA so will slowly discharge the battery.
    Makes sense, but do we know that for sure? Do you have an official source?

FYI, I've certainly recharged my TP from near zero to full in about 8 hours with a 1-amp charger, which I thought was consistent with the 3.5 hours for 2 amps. But considering that charging is non-linear, with the charge rate dropping considerably toward the end, it's hard to tell for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Semma2 View Post
    Makes sense, but do we know that for sure? Do you have an official source?

FYI, I've certainly recharged my TP from near zero to full in about 8 hours with a 1-amp charger, which I thought was consistent with the 3.5 hours for 2 amps. But considering that charging is non-linear, with the charge rate dropping considerably toward the end, it's hard to tell for sure.
    The TP does in fact draw more power than is provided, at least if plugged in to a computer. My TP draws between 600-1100mA when idle, as provided by Govnah.
    The TouchPad has only 2 charging modes, so if you're not using either an HP barrel charger or a custom, hand-made Wheel_nut charger, the TouchPad will not draw more than 500mA. It could be 1A or 100A, the TouchPad will only draw 500mA.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Wheel_nut likes this.