1.    #1  
    I would like to send this gift to a friend who lives outside the US, and that country is using 220w electricity form, so my question is, can this hp touchpad charges directly to the wall jack without any help from converting adapter?

thank you
    Yes- the wall adapter is good up to 240v. May need an simple adapter, not a voltage converter, if his country doesn't use a two blade style plug/outlet.

Alternatively he could always charge it (slowly) via USB on his computer
    Maybe you could find some plug heads on eBay. It's rated up to 240V.
  4.    #4  
    how's big different between watt vs volt ?
    because, I don't want to confuse the reader who is reading from my post. I meant 220 watt , but not volts

@Gordon: are you sure it's charging from USB port? because I don't see any change or any sign that telling me it's charging.

lastly, thank you Gordon and GMMan for your comments
    Quote Originally Posted by hpnewbie View Post
    because, I don't want to confuse the reader who is reading from my post. I meant 220 watt , but not volts

@Gordon: are you sure it's charging from USB port? because I don't see any change or any sign that telling me it's charging.

I think you actually mean volt.

Watt is a measurement of power (work per second), while voltage is a measurement of potential (think pressure). Voltage is what matters. Wattage is how much power can be provided to components, like for a PC power supply. Since the same power adapter is used regardless of country, you can be sure it supplies enough wattage. The charger will adapt to the voltage as necessary.

Plugging in the TouchPad into a USB port will charge it, but very very slowly. It takes a little less than a day to charge via PC-USB compared to about 4 hours (? can't really remember) with the charger. It's like how an iPad will say "Not Charging" when it's plugged into a PC. For the battery to charge any the TP has to be idle with the screen off.
    Quote Originally Posted by hpnewbie View Post

You probably mean 220 V not watt
    To quickly summarize V is the electrical potential difference commonly refered as the power supply source's "power" (vary from 110 to 230 for households usage)

Here is a country list
    Mains electricity by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes It charges from USB but very slowly, so you must turn radios and screen off and leave it charging for hours.
    IMH opinion not a good way to frequently charge your TP
    yea, i've only heard of differing voltage standards between countries.

What country is your friend in? then we can just look up their power standards
  8.    #8  
    lol, may be I"m the one confused between watts and volts

thank you all for concerning my issue

vietnam country
    I'm using TP in my country with 220V without any voltage converter and no problem at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFF Stough View Post
    I'm using TP in my country with 220V without any voltage converter and no problem at all.
    How hot does the charger get? I noticed before some chargers get much hotter in 220V countries than 110V countries.
    I bought my TP in January through ebay from the US. I live in Greece and we have 220 V grid here and of course i had no problem at all. It is all stated in the TP description/manual/characteristics that it can be charged with 110 and 220 V. All your friend will need is an adaptor so that he can plug the charger in the sockets of his home country which is something very cheap and easy to find at any hardware/electronic store.

And to answer GMMAN i have not noticed any overheat or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    How hot does the charger get? I noticed before some chargers get much hotter in 220V countries than 110V countries.
    I never measure the temp yet, but the heat is just the same with any other changers which specialized for 220V. Slightly cooler than my 10-years old Siemens mobile phone charger.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Defenitely you can