Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dear forum Moderator
    Please forgive me for posting this in the HP Touchpad forum as well. I have also posted it in the App section, but maybe this is a system related "problem"? If not, then just freeze/delete/close (or what ever) this thread and I will try to behave myself!!! :-)

I'm using my TP a lot for watching movies and most of my movies are in the .avi format.
    I use KalemSoft Media Player and that works very well.
    At home I have a Synology NAS also with a lot of avi-movies. When I want to watch one of those movies I'd like to use either BHome or UPnP AV Player (Free).
    However when trying (with the same file) I always get this message in

BHome:
    Sorry
    This file type is unsupported in webOS.
    It's most likely that it can not be used.

and

UPnP AV Player Free:
    Sorry, the avi video type is currently not supported by webOS.
    The supported video types in webOS are MP4, M4A, M4V, MOV, 3GP and 3G2.

I have tried copying the same movie to the TP and it works well in Kalem.
    Is there anything I can do to make streaming from my NAS working on my TP?
    I live in Denmark, so I can't buy any software from the catalog, but IF there is an app that can do the magic, I maybe can buy it directly from the developer?
    Thanks.

Martin :-)
    What codec are you videos in? The stock decoder does not have as many codecs as Kalemsoft.
    Quote Originally Posted by martinjochimsen View Post
    Dear forum Moderator
    Please forgive me for posting this in the HP Touchpad forum as well. I have also posted it in the App section, but maybe this is a system related "problem"? If not, then just freeze/delete/close (or what ever) this thread and I will try to behave myself!!! :-)

I'm using my TP a lot for watching movies and most of my movies are in the .avi format.
    I use KalemSoft Media Player and that works very well.
    At home I have a Synology NAS also with a lot of avi-movies. When I want to watch one of those movies I'd like to use either BHome or UPnP AV Player (Free).
    However when trying (with the same file) I always get this message in

BHome:
    Sorry
    This file type is unsupported in webOS.
    It's most likely that it can not be used.

and

UPnP AV Player Free:
    Sorry, the avi video type is currently not supported by webOS.
    The supported video types in webOS are MP4, M4A, M4V, MOV, 3GP and 3G2.

I have tried copying the same movie to the TP and it works well in Kalem.
    Is there anything I can do to make streaming from my NAS working on my TP?
    I live in Denmark, so I can't buy any software from the catalog, but IF there is an app that can do the magic, I maybe can buy it directly from the developer?
    Thanks.

Martin :-)
    If you use Bhome, go to Preferences by the pull down menu on the upper left hand corner, then scroll down to Video section. At this point you will be able to choose an external media player of your choice (I.e. Kalemsoft) by pulling down the arrow on the right when the media file is not supported by Webos.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmernator View Post
    If you use Bhome, go to Preferences by the pull down menu on the upper left hand corner, then scroll down to Video section. At this point you will be able to choose an external media player of your choice (I.e. Kalemsoft) by pulling down the arrow on the right when the media file is not supported by Webos.
    Thanks.
    This was actual a really big help. However BHome still won't allow Kalem to open up the file, but maybe it's because I need to buy the full version?
    Attached Images Attached Images
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by claudiagoul View Post
    The stock decoder does not have as many codecs as Kalemsoft
    And it is the stock decoder that decides what can be played even though I have Kalem installed?
    Thanks.
    This was actual a really big help. However BHome still won't allow Kalem to open up the file, but maybe it's because I need to buy the full version?
    If your Kalemsoft is not a legit version, you won't be able to use it for streaming. Depending on how old your version is, you can still use is to play local file if you disable wifi. As far as Bhome, I thought paid or trial versions are the same, except the trial version has the reminder popped up once in awhile. If all else fails, try contacting Bhome for answer, or you can try installing Touchplayer for free.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmernator View Post
    If your Kalemsoft is not a legit version, you won't be able to use it for streaming. Depending on how old your version is, you can still use is to play local file if you disable wifi. As far as Bhome, I thought paid or trial versions are the same, except the trial version has the reminder popped up once in awhile. If all else fails, try contacting Bhome for answer, or you can try installing Touchplayer for free.
    Well now that you brought it up!
    Since I live a place where I can't get paid apps, I might have found a "free" Kalem SP version to test. It worked really well, so I went to their homepage to ask if I could buy it directly from the homepage. It was on sale in the HP catalog for $3.99, and they agreed to offer me the same deal.
    To register I just had to put in my mail address in the program (after I had paid) and it would be opened. I didn't download the program again.
    I don't know where I can see what version I have? (EDIT: I've got Kalem 0.7.0. It says that on the opening screen!)
    BHome works partly with Touchplayer, but Touchplayer is the reason I got Kalem in the first place. I don't think Touchplayer is a good program at all and it doesn't handle subtitle files.
    I will try and contact Kalem to see if I can get a new download of the player.
    Thanks for the input and I deserve the red ears!!! :-)

Martin
    Last edited by martinjochimsen; 09/24/2012 at 04:23 PM.
    Just so you know there are many ways to get yourself legit paid app catalog access if you really want it, just search the forums.

My legit app cat install copy is at 0.7.5
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Just so you know there are many ways to get yourself legit paid app catalog access if you really want it, just search the forums.

My legit app cat install copy is at 0.7.5
    Your absolutely right, and I'm beginning to find out how and where I can pay for my apps. My TP is pretty empty compared to my Galaxy Tab. It's just so annoying to see all the apps in the catalog and not being able to buy them strait away.
    So you say that your Kalem Softmedia Player is 0.7.5?
    I'll go to Kalem's homepage now and write to them.
    Thanks for the update.
    By the way. I have searched the net and I haven't yet found a way to get access to the paid apps in the catalog. Well at least not a way I understood!!!

:-)
    I have never done it, search for change app catalog country. You will have to change it to a country that supports paid apps, then AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $you$ $will$ $also$ $need$ $a$ $CC$ $that$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $from$ $that$ $country$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $lil$ $work$, $but$ $you$ $can$ $pretty$ $much$ $get$ $full$ $app$ $catalog$ $access$. $The$ $threads$ $about$ $doing$ $this$ $usually$ $have$ $reputable$ $places$ $to$ $buy$ $prepaid$ $CC$'$s$ $that$ $will$ $work$ $with$ $app$ $cat$ $and$ $show$ $they$ $are$ $from$ $the$ $country$ $to$ $match$.

I am in the US, so I will be of no help beyond this information.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I have never done it, search for change app catalog country. You will have to change it to a country that supports paid apps, then AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $you$ $will$ $also$ $need$ $a$ $CC$ $that$ $seems$ $to$ $be$ $from$ $that$ $country$. $It$'$s$ $a$ $lil$ $work$, $but$ $you$ $can$ $pretty$ $much$ $get$ $full$ $app$ $catalog$ $access$. $The$ $threads$ $about$ $doing$ $this$ $usually$ $have$ $reputable$ $places$ $to$ $buy$ $prepaid$ $CC$'$s$ $that$ $will$ $work$ $with$ $app$ $cat$ $and$ $show$ $they$ $are$ $from$ $the$ $country$ $to$ $match$.

I am in the US, so I will be of no help beyond this information.
    I think I found a patch(?) in this forum so I could change the the country without resetting the TP. It's the deal about credit card and the american, canadian or mexican address I still haven't found out. I will give it a try another day.
    Thanks.
    if you're on your home network, you can use the fabulous network drives app (aka enyo drive mapper) to mount your nas on the touchpad. if you do this while Kalemsoft is open on your device then the file system of your nas box will be available through the file browser in kalemsoft media player. I have been using this setup for about a year and its brilliant.

Network Drives - Enyo Network Drive Mapper
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_farkas View Post
    if you're on your home network, you can use the fabulous network drives app (aka enyo drive mapper) to mount your nas on the touchpad. if you do this while Kalemsoft is open on your device then the file system of your nas box will be available through the file browser in kalemsoft media player. I have been using this setup for about a year and its brilliant.

OT but thanks, I haven't been able to find that app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  14.    #14  

This look really promising. I'll take a look at it and see if I can make it work.

15.    #15  

This works absolutely fantastic!!!
    Now I'm looking forward to the next time I'm home in bed sick and wanting to watch a movie.
    Thank so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    OT but thanks, I haven't been able to find that app.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Follow the link in my original post and go to the first page of the discussion. the developer has the version notes and the download link to the ipk file in the post. This is not available in preware or the app catalogue.

good luck!
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    This works absolutely fantastic!!!
    Now I'm looking forward to the next time I'm home in bed sick and wanting to watch a movie.
    Thank so much!

I'd also recommend getting the ftp app called ftpit! which will allow you to download files to your device when outside your network. Its not streaming, but if you have a decent connection where you are at least you can grab your favourite film or tv show!

glad network drives works for you..,look out for a write up in webos onTap coming soon!
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    @OP.... your other (duplicate) thread has been removed - please do not cross-post in the forums. Thank you
    Follow the link in my original post and go to the first page of the discussion. the developer has the version notes and the download link to the ipk file in the post. This is not available in preware or the app catalogue.

good luck!
    I was thanking you for helping me find it, not saying I still couldn't find it. But thanks again.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    @OP.... your other (duplicate) thread has been removed - please do not cross-post in the forums. Thank you
    Thanks.
    Is it possible to completely remove a thread I have started my self - if nobody haven't written anything yet?
    Because it really paid off to write here instead! :-)
    I also started this thread with "Dear forum Mode...! :-)

Edit: I could of course just have deleted the text in the other OP...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast