Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I don't want to activate it now. But I can do a test on my main TP. Bought at same time.
    TP OS 3.0.5. 3 Mailaccounts, Twitter, Messaging ....
    EDIT: WLan, Bluetooth switched on
    I will switch it off now (11:00 Uhr local time) 100% "real" charged measured by dr. battery.
    I will switch it on to night and report back.
    Great, thx Somline for your feedback. Just bear in mind that when fully charged or above 90% it tends to discharge a little slower. Anyway, it will be interesting to see your results.
    Ok, my Touchpad is running 3.0.5, 15 months old, used every day, 20 patches and over clocked to 1512. I charged the battery to 100% according to the Battery Monitor app and powered it down for 20 hours. When I powered it up this morning and opened the Battery Monitor app, The battery was still at 100%. Like I stated in my previous post, when my Touchpad is not in use, it is sitting on its Touchstone charger.
    I have a TP here received with 3.0.4 and updated to 3.0.5. Homebrew/Preware/Patches installed, running at 1.2 GHz. When i was leaving for two and a half weeks of vacation this summer i charged it to 100% and then switched it off completely. When i came back 18 days later i switched it back on and it was still at 98%.
    Otherwise, over night i use to switch off wlan and leave it like this without charging. Then the next evening the charge dropped for 1%, usually. Sometimes an application seems to get stuck and i observe a stand-by consumtion of around 5% during the same period, witch is why i then reboot the device which brings stand-by consumtion back to normal. Wondering what the cause for this increased battery drain is, though.... however, as long as a reboot fixes this i don't worry too much.
    Reading your descriptions above, in your case i think your device suffers from a defective battery, unfortunately.
    I don't want to activate it now. But I can do a test on my main TP. Bought at same time.
    TP OS 3.0.5. 3 Mailaccounts, Twitter, Messaging ....
    EDIT: WLan, Bluetooth switched on
    I will switch it off now (11:00 Uhr local time) 100% "real" charged measured by dr. battery.
    I will switch it on to night and report back.
    So I switched it on (20:00 local time) 9 hours later. Charge according to dr. battery: 100%.
    I shut it down again and will (if not forgotten) switch it on tomorrow and report back. Seems indeed something wrong with your touchpad.
    But we had this discussion before. You're not alone I think.
    I switched on my spare TP after 1/2 year to check the battery and it was at 95%.
    Just booted the TP I spoke of earlier.... has been shut off for months and not on a charger in months, still at 100%, this is an activated and lightly used device (has had apps and preware installed).... My Pre2 shows a date of December 25th 2011 (not sure if that was the last time I powered these devices, I think it was more recent then that, but maybe not...

To clarify further, Dr Battery is showing 98%, battery health 95% and this device has taken every OTA update to 3.0.5
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6.    #26  
    Hmmmmm, more and more people reporting that they have no discharge during shut off. In that case i will have to agree that my battery is the problem. Doesn't sound so weird, according to dr battery it has about 5300 mah when fully charged although it also says in the health tab that it is at 6200 mah and 94% health. I am wondering if it was something i did (can't think of anything) because as i said when i first got it i was fine. I will have to get my hands on a touchstone, which is a bit difficult in Greece, wish i was in the States . Still nothing i can't live with.

Thank you all for your responses and feedback guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkalogia View Post
    Great, thx Somline for your feedback. Just bear in mind that when fully charged or above 90% it tends to discharge a little slower. Anyway, it will be interesting to see your results.
    From your multiple comments about discharge level at shutoff, I think if nothing else we can say that you probably haven't been properly taking care of your battery? You mentioned in response to me the discharge rate from 55% etc... It sounds like you are treating your battery different then most of us. I do my best to keep my Li-Ion batteries topped off and not discharging them as this is proper care for this type of battery.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Doesn't sound so weird, according to dr battery it has about 5300 mah when fully charged although it also says in the health tab that it is at 6200 mah and 94% health..
    This is "normal" as mentioned in this thread : http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...pad-users.html
    Is it getting warm while switched off?
  9.    #29  
    Somline thx for the thread, this was my previous knowledge, although I have to say I am still not sure of what type of battery I have. Dr battery reads a manufacturer rating of 6612, a health of 94% a calculated left capacity of 6215 and an actual capacity around 5400 when fully charged.

OldSkoolVWLover since I do not have a touchstone I try to use my battery between 80 and 20 % although to be honest I don't always do that. What would you say is the best way to condition your battery? Somline any thoughts? And speaking of battery performance which kernel would you say is the best compromise between power and consumption. I used to overclock at at 1.5 with uberkernel went back to default and now have wartog at 1.5 since I read it was the fastest kernel. Do you think it's taking a toll on battery life?

Oh and to answer your question Somline no I am pretty sure it's not getting warm when off.
    Hmmmmm, more and more people reporting that they have no discharge during shut off. In that case i will have to agree that my battery is the problem. Doesn't sound so weird, according to dr battery it has about 5300 mah when fully charged although it also says in the health tab that it is at 6200 mah and 94% health. I am wondering if it was something i did (can't think of anything) because as i said when i first got it i was fine. I will have to get my hands on a touchstone, which is a bit difficult in Greece, wish i was in the States . Still nothing i can't live with.

Thank you all for your responses and feedback guys.
    I too have been experienceing the Rather Large Drain of the Battery will it is Completely Powered Off. Just started to notice it over the past 2 weeks that within a 2-3 day period of the touchpad being Powered Off my Battery Level would drop to about 78% from a Full charge.Yesterday I installed the app Battery Drainer which I ran until the battery level dropped to 5% in CM9 then Rebooted into webOS to recharge the Battery to 100, I did this hoping to recondition the Battery.I then Powered Off the Touchpad waited 8 Hours to turn it back on and still shows 100%.I currently have it shut off and will wait a full 24 hours to turn it back on and the report back here my findings to you.
    Last edited by izzybee914; 09/24/2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: information
    So I switched it on (20:00 local time) 9 hours later. Charge according to dr. battery: 100%.
    I shut it down again and will (if not forgotten) switch it on tomorrow and report back. Seems indeed something wrong with your touchpad.
    Now (almost 08:00) 12 hours later: 98%.
  12.    #32  
    Well i too fully charged my TP yesterday. In fact when it reached 100% with Dr Battery it was around 5400 mAh. But it was still charging with a current of about 350 mA which of course was slowly dropping as it was reaching full charge. According to dr Battery it reached up to 5585 mAh and then the next time i checked it was on 5485 mAh and the charging current was zero which means it was fully charged. I found this a bit strange but in any case i am keeping it off . Since it kept charging even after it had reached 100% i expect that the next time i open it it would not have dropped that much, that is why i have said that it is better to test it when the charge is below 90%. In any case i will report my findings in about 12 hours or so.

Izzybee914 i will give the Battery drainer in CM9 a shot too, you never know, thx for the tip. On a similaer subject which kernel do you guys think is best for overclocking but also for the battery as well. I am currently on Warthog 1.5.
  13.    #33  
    Ok after almost 16 hours off i reopened it. Everything reads 100%, the default indication of the TP, the battery monitor and dr Battery apps. Like i said it is difficult to tel when it is fully charged. To be more specific this time i let it charge until it read 5465 mA and charging current was zero. When i opened it dr Battery read 5350 mA, a total reduction of about 115 mA but about 20-30 of those were spent during booting up. So a total loss of only 90 mA over a 16 hour period. Not bad at all. I updated google maps and it went down to 5320. So i will leave it off again and see how it behaves.
    I had a similar issue, I don't recall if it was when I went from 3.0.2 to 3.0.4, or 3.0.4 to 3.0.5 I turned the Touchpad off one night before going to bed (fully charged), and a day or two later when I went to try it, it was almost completely out of juice. I thought at the time that perhaps I hadn't actually shut it down, and had just turned the screen off and left some apps running. I put it on the charger, and didn't get around to using it again for a couple of days. Next day or so, same thing. This time though it had run down to nothing, and then I ran into the problem some people have had of the thing not charging.

What I have done since then, is under I think it's the Settings tab, Device info, on the Reset screen near the top is the option to turn off all radios and shut down. Since doing that, I have had no issues with mystery battery discharging. I've had it shut off for almost a month and powering it back on, had over 65% battery remaining (on probably a 85% charge on shut down).

I don't know if some config or software I have installed is the reason why; I am running one of the overclocked kernels, and was dual booting Android as well. All I can think of is for whatever reason, one of the radios was not being turned off on a normal power down, but is/was during that radio off/shut down option.

BTW, for anybody having the charging issue, try leaving the TP on the charger for a day or so, then powering it on with it still on the charger. When it happened to me, that seemed to allow it to begin the boot cycle and once it was booted up, the TP charged up to 100% normally.

L.F
    OldSkoolVWLover since I do not have a touchstone I try to use my battery between 80 and 20 % although to be honest I don't always do that. What would you say is the best way to condition your battery? Somline any thoughts? And speaking of battery performance which kernel would you say is the best compromise between power and consumption. I used to overclock at at 1.5 with uberkernel went back to default and now have wartog at 1.5 since I read it was the fastest kernel. Do you think it's taking a toll on battery life?
    In general best thing for Lithium Ion batteries is to keep them topped off as much as possible.

Oh and I personally have never OC'd any of my 2.x or 3.x webOS devices. I had OC'd my original Pre, but haven't found a great need for it on the newer devices (Pre3 would probably benefit from compcache though).
    Quote Originally Posted by izzybee914 View Post
    I too have been experienceing the Rather Large Drain of the Battery will it is Completely Powered Off. Just started to notice it over the past 2 weeks that within a 2-3 day period of the touchpad being Powered Off my Battery Level would drop to about 78% from a Full charge.Yesterday I installed the app Battery Drainer which I ran until the battery level dropped to 5% in CM9 then Rebooted into webOS to recharge the Battery to 100, I did this hoping to recondition the Battery.I then Powered Off the Touchpad waited 8 Hours to turn it back on and still shows 100%.I currently have it shut off and will wait a full 24 hours to turn it back on and the report back here my findings to you.
    After 24 Hours Completely Powered Off the Touchpad still showed 100% when turned On but Quickly dropped to 98% within 15 minutes of use.I currently Powered it Off again will remain that way for 3 Days and recheck the battery level.
    Somewhat unrelated: CM9 on my Galaxy S II X sometimes does not shut down the hardware properly, so everything will be on while an operating system is not running. That burns through 30% of the battery in a night. So if CM9 doesn't work properly on a native Android device, I imagine it would have problems on the TouchPad. And as mentioned before on the forums, Android tends to drain the battery completely, so be careful using battery drainers from Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    Somewhat unrelated: CM9 on my Galaxy S II X sometimes does not shut down the hardware properly, so everything will be on while an operating system is not running. That burns through 30% of the battery in a night. So if CM9 doesn't work properly on a native Android device, I imagine it would have problems on the TouchPad. And as mentioned before on the forums, Android tends to drain the battery completely, so be careful using battery drainers from Android.
    GMMan Do you mean that includes a Complete Power Down from CM9 on any device that the hardware is not Shut down properly?
    If so then Shutting Down the Touchpad from webOS is a Possible Solution to this Concern? Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I'm not sure we're getting anywhere near the bottom of this yet.

First, if the OP has a defective battery, then a whole lot of us have defective batteries that work fine except that they drain too rapidly when the TP is powered off for a couple of weeks. Possible, but not the most likely explanation.

Second, for those of you keeping the TP on the Touchstone when it is powered off and not finding any drop from 100% charge, it charges on the Touchstone even when it is powered off.

Third, for those of you who have been testing for a day or two, those of us reporting long-term discharge have generally left the TP turned off for periods like 10-14 days, and we don't know at what point the charge started to drop. It might not have been a steady drop. Some new discharge may have started at a certain point (e.g., the battery charge dropped by a certain amount, so it woke something up to check if a charger was available, which my 2nd point may already suggest).

Keep testing!
    My experience has been that the TP battery drains steadily when the unit is completely shut off. It has a lifespan of about 10 days. Leave it for 2 weeks without charging and you are risking a dead TP that won't recharge.
    I recently powered down my TouchPad when I went out of town for 7 weeks. When I came back, it started right up like it had been a day.

I suspect that people complaining of high drain when powered off are turning their TouchPad off from within CM9, and not from webOS!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast