webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > WebOS network app
WebOS network app

Old 09/18/2012, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

I was tethering my TouchPad to the wi-fi hotspot on my Pre 2 when I received a phone call from an unknown number. I took the call (it was my insurance co.) and when I returned, My TouchPad had a new icon in the top menu bar that said "tap to login to networking app". I tapped it and a WebOS labeled networking page came up with a "Network App" label in the page menu bar. I've never seen it before and can't find it/duplicate it after closing it and turning off my Wifi hotspot. I've found nothing about this online or in these forums. Does anyone know what that is, how I got it, and how to open it up again? I have some homebrew patches and apps and am in developer mode. There is also no sign of it in my apps, settings, or homebrew installed items.

Thanks
futekgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2012, 05:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Where were you at and who is your carrier? If you are on a CDMA carrier it is maybe a glitch caused by losing your tether when you took the call. At least that is my first guess.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2012, 05:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Where were you at and who is your carrier? If you are on a CDMA carrier it is maybe a glitch caused by losing your tether when you took the call. At least that is my first guess.
I'm at work, away from my home network and my carrier is Verizon. Although I was very curious to browse around, I've been having my wifi hotspot hacked by someone in the building and I was immediately paranoid. Someone's been cracking my WPA passwords fairly easily.
Old 09/18/2012, 05:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah if you are on VZW it either glitched, or it picked up someone else hotspot/wireless network.

VZW can't do data and voice simultaneously, so your TP lost connection while you were on the call and started hunting for a network.

The public access WiFi at my work can be kinda sketchy (10 floor building different devices and areas of the building will drop), plus people with hot spots. Even with the screen off all the way in to work, my TP will pickup WiFi automagically when I get to work. Some days I will be walking in and get a vibration notification from Project Macaw before I get in the building. My TP will drop and hunt some times sitting at my desk, but everyone around me has their hotspots PW protected (I can see SSIDs on some though, no clue how many people around me actually run some form of hotspot).
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2012, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've taken calls before and never had that happen. Wierd. There are other networks in the building, but they are all wifi networks with standard login/password options in the wifi prefs. This "network app" had a strange blue icon, similar to the wifi horn icon, but different, and it had it's own WebOS splash page. I don't think anyone else has a webOS Device. I sure wish I could open that network app again. It definitely looked like an HP related interface. Thanks for replying!
Old 09/18/2012, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

might be captive portal app
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 02:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz View Post
might be captive portal app
Jetz, I searched for Captive Portal for WebOS and found a page that had the closest thing to what I saw. The icon for this Captive Portal notification is very similar, if not the same icon that I saw for the Network App. This is very interesting. The prompt I got said "Tap to login to Network App".
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2012-09-18 at 11.06.40 PM.png (70.9 KB, 27 views) Email Attachment
Old 11/10/2012, 03:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just launched Advanced Browser and this same Network App started, logged in (?) and promptly informed me I was connected (?) while a card in the background loaded with an image of a Palm Pre and welcomed me to WebOS. What is this app and why did it run without me loading it?
billyboob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/10/2012, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboob View Post
I just launched Advanced Browser and this same Network App started, logged in (?) and promptly informed me I was connected (?) while a card in the background loaded with an image of a Palm Pre and welcomed me to WebOS. What is this app and why did it run without me loading it?
It's a feature, and a darn good one at that. It automatically detects if you can connect to the Internet when you associate to a wireless AP, and if the request gets redirected it gives you the notification. I haven't seen a time where it didn't work, whereas Android rarely show you the message, and iOS forces you to deal with it before it stays connected. Anyway, this happens usually if you connect to public WiFi. The site it tries to access to get the login screen to show up is hpwebos.com, so that's what you'll see if the login system for the wireless access redirects you to your original destination.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app, browser, networking

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0