webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Another victim of the dead battery syndrome
Another victim of the dead battery syndrome

Old 09/18/2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have a Touchpad that I've tried everything that I could find to revive it....

The only signs of life is when I plug it in to the computer and hold the volume up (or down) the power and the home button, and the computer gets a message about drivers needing to be installed for a Palm device.

But aside that, I've tried the holding the buttons down (every way that I could try), the holding the power and pressing the home multiple times...slow or fast.

I've tried the Touchstone, via the computer, 3rd party chargers (500mA, 640mA, 1A, 2A), directly with the Palm 2A, my Pre2 1A one, for days for each one, and still nothing.

I can't get the screen to show any sign of life at all.

I've been going at it for over 2 weeks now, and still no luck. Problem is I couldn't find the receipt, but I finally did last night... the date of purchase is about 3 weeks ago for the year to run out..... it's... just wrong as this is within a few days of it dying on me like this, I haven't contacted HP yet, but it's just frustrating that I'd either get lucky and they'll take it and fix (probably just get the charge going) under warranty, as the replacement not under warranty is over 300$ (close to double the price of getting another).

All this over a charging system that simply refuses to kick itself on.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 09/18/2012, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

I know this is too late for you now, but I want to remind people to call first not look for receipt since HP will ask for serial number anyways, you may not need proof of purchase.

Either way with a warranty issue, once the issue is logged warranty should still be honored. I haven't had any experience with it with HP, but I did have 2 issues on a VW that were fixed after warranty had expired because they were previously identified but could either not be located or not be reproduced during the visits to the dealer. (faulty gauge cluster couldn't be reproduced, hydraulic leak couldn't be located for power top initially)
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2012, 03:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

I too was recently a victim of the dead battery syndrome after putting my TP on the Touchstone incorrectly. I struggled to get my TP to come back to life even after trying everything that had been posted in the forums.

Here is what finally worked for me. I connected the TP to my trusty old Windows XP desktop computer and unglugged it from my PC once every minute and then plugged it back in. After days of failing to revive my TP, the menu button began to toggle flash back and forth. I then plugged back into the wall with the barrel charger and I got the charging icon after about 5 minutes of being plugged back in.

It took a good 30 or more trys of plugging in and unplugging. Don't give up, the problem is fixable, you just need to keep at it.
yorxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2012, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

if you have a phone charger . Try plugging it into that phone charger for several days and see if it will power on for you . Hold down all three buttons ( volume up , menu , and the on button. ) together for approx. 30 sec. Every time you try to power it on. This has been known to wake it up.
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2012, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I saw one of these today that was doing exactly the same thing. Had been on the charger for the weekend, but was dead. Changing charging sources several times, suddenly, it came to life.

Seems there's been a rash of touchpads that have forgotten how to charge recently. I've heard that letting them sit without charging for several days to try to drain the battery, can also get it to wake up.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/18/2012, 09:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I saw one of these today that was doing exactly the same thing. Had been on the charger for the weekend, but was dead. Changing charging sources several times, suddenly, it came to life.

Seems there's been a rash of touchpads that have forgotten how to charge recently. I've heard that letting them sit without charging for several days to try to drain the battery, can also get it to wake up.
Buit in obselescence?

Yes.. it does seem that the best chance of getting the TP to 'remember' that it's battery is completely flat, IS to allow it to first sit for quite a long time (like two weeks +) UNTIL the battery IS totally, utterly and completely flat!
Then it even loses it's memory of the fact that it had forgotten - and is able to start the cycle again from scratch?
That may be all that is actually occuring whilst we spent that time 'trying' various alternate charging methods etc?

Crazy machines!
Must be a tiny bit of code in there that HP could rectify to allow a remedial re-flash?

:-)
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 04:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

This all makes me more convinced that at the very core the HP Touchpad does have a major manufactured design flaw, what with this and the other issue where the battery is not recognised...

Of all the issues of the TP the battery is its nemesis IMO, and the major flaw kicks in when we let these batteries deplete fully

I know there are ways of bringing it back to life but it seems like a major hassle and headache of alternating cables and power sources...And Time...Lots of time & patience.

I wonder if all TPs are afflicted or if the units with the smaller battery capacity are in fact the Fixed units and now don't have these issues...If i m not mistaken ALL TPs shipped with the higher capacity batteries at launch, but from what I'm reading on many forums (from folks who have had to have warranty repairs) the units that come back from repair are showing the smaller batt capacity.

Maybe this would explain the Two battery types used in the TP and possible software confliction.

Either way something is wrong somewhere and whether HP were aware of the issue post or pre Firesale But couldn't hack the added embaresment of product recall is just guessing, but it just adds to a potential why HP sold these machines at mad crazy prices..

Perhaps now most warranties are up...HP can finally wash their hands of the Touchpad.

Lets face it most of us aren't mad enough to pay the inflated repair costs for dead batteries. Which BTW Are probably not dead but most likely need a SW/FW flash. If only someone at HP would tell us what to do in the event of probably inevitible battery issues

Sorry for my cynical rant
con500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: somline
Old 09/19/2012, 06:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by con500 View Post
I wonder if all TPs are afflicted or if the units with the smaller battery capacity are in fact the Fixed units and now don't have these issues...If i m not mistaken ALL TPs shipped with the higher capacity batteries at launch, but from what I'm reading on many forums (from folks who have had to have warranty repairs) the units that come back from repair are showing the smaller batt capacity.

Maybe this would explain the Two battery types used in the TP and possible software confliction.
Is it confirmed, that all "repaired" devices come with the "smaller" battery?
Interesting thoughts.
Old 09/19/2012, 06:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I've heard that letting them sit without charging for several days to try to drain the battery, can also get it to wake up.
I've been trying this method on my wife's TP for a couple weeks now. So far no luck, but I read somewhere it takes 3 weeks
jscm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 06:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

con500 @ #7.

I don't think thats too cynical at all! In fact elements of potential truth shine through!

To add to the 'cynicism'.. I wonder whether the 'lower capacity' batteries were in fact exactly the SAME batteries but with altered firmwares that raised the capacity/threshold at which they registered as flat.. thereby effectively lowering the apparent 'available' capacity?

This would seem to be a logical emergency 'workaround' to prevent the really totally flat 'Altzheimers' scenario!

But right.. this might well have been the straw that broke the back of Apotheker's Apple bashing camel!!

Maybe HP could now do WebOS Nation the favour of handing over any improved firmware they may have engineered?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/19/2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09/19/2012, 06:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
I've been trying this method on my wife's TP for a couple weeks now. So far no luck, but I read somewhere it takes 3 weeks
It could well take that long... also depending upon 'health' of the individual battery and even ambient temperature etc too!

Old 09/19/2012, 06:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by somline View Post
Is it confirmed, that all "repaired" devices come with the "smaller" battery?
Interesting thoughts.
No, sorry I should have clarified that in any of my readings this has NOT been confirmed however it is noted to be a common theme where the ' repaired' TPs were returned with the smaller capacity battery (not all tho)

What interested me was that the majority of returns were due to battery issues...But I could not find anyone whom had had further battery issues with returned machines. This is what led me to thinking perhaps the re-installed smaller capacity batts were rectifying the issue...However possibly what rules this theory out would be that when ANY new battery is re-installed I assume some sort of firmware flash or calibration method would also be needed

Like I say nothing confirmed or concrete, Just my own demented musings haha

At the end of the day we all just want a tablet that will 'Just Charge" when it runs out of juice...its just what we've come to expect, but with the TP some do and some dont

Last edited by con500; 09/19/2012 at 06:55 AM.
con500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 07:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

My son-in-laws fell to this problem. So I let my TP drain till it died, twice. Once while in webOS, and once while in CM9. Both times I placed it on the touchstone and within 5 minutes it woke up and started charging.
pworcester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/19/2012, 01:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks everyone,

I'll just keep trying...as per advise provided.

The alternative would be to consider cracking it open and using a charger (as some managed to do) to get enough of a charge to get things going. If I have go to this, I'll hard-wire some sort of contacts that I could bypass the micro-usb port for possible future occurences.
Old 09/19/2012, 01:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pworcester View Post
My son-in-laws fell to this problem. So I let my TP drain till it died, twice. Once while in webOS, and once while in CM9. Both times I placed it on the touchstone and within 5 minutes it woke up and started charging.
This is beyond a five minutes on the touchpad situation... it spent many hours on one and nothing happened.

I even had it with both the Touchstone AND plugged in at the same time to try and feed it some power by both sources.
Old 09/19/2012, 01:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorxs View Post
I too was recently a victim of the dead battery syndrome after putting my TP on the Touchstone incorrectly. I struggled to get my TP to come back to life even after trying everything that had been posted in the forums.

Here is what finally worked for me. I connected the TP to my trusty old Windows XP desktop computer and unglugged it from my PC once every minute and then plugged it back in. After days of failing to revive my TP, the menu button began to toggle flash back and forth. I then plugged back into the wall with the barrel charger and I got the charging icon after about 5 minutes of being plugged back in.

It took a good 30 or more trys of plugging in and unplugging. Don't give up, the problem is fixable, you just need to keep at it.
Thanks, I'll be trying that....

Tried the support chat with HP...twice and they end up "closed for business" over 1/2 hour than time quoted on their site.... not impressed.
Old 09/19/2012, 11:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
It could well take that long... also depending upon 'health' of the individual battery and even ambient temperature etc too!

I gave up waiting, now I'm trying the slow charge suggestion
Old 09/20/2012, 05:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscm3 View Post
I gave up waiting, now I'm trying the slow charge suggestion
OK.. good luck!
Be interested to hear what occurs and after how long!
I am under the impression that it doesn't really make any difference how fast/slow the potential charge is... as it is likely that neither will actually 'register' until after the TP battery has gone completely flat anyway!

Lets see!

Old 09/20/2012, 09:33 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorxs View Post
Actually I have a GPS that behaves the same way. If the battery goes completely dead, when I first plug it into the charger the charging light flashes once and then goes out, and it doesn't charge. If I keep unplugging and re-plugging, it seems to get a slightly longer surge of charging on each try until the charging light finally stays on and it charges.

I think what's happening is that the battery is so dead that the poorly-designed charging circuit can't detect it, so it cuts off charging. But in the process of initial testing it allows a little surge of charge to get through. Keep repeating it over a short period, and eventually the battery builds up just enough charge to be reliably detected. I can see this more easily on the GPS, but I bet it's the same process with the TP. Maybe some of the tests people have tried with multiple chargers or putting it on and off the Touchstone have accidentally done the same thing.
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/20/2012, 06:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
OK.. good luck!
Be interested to hear what occurs and after how long!
I am under the impression that it doesn't really make any difference how fast/slow the potential charge is... as it is likely that neither will actually 'register' until after the TP battery has gone completely flat anyway!

Lets see!

You could be right; 12 hours so far nothin'

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0