Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shadavis08
  • 1 Post By bimmernator
  1.    #1  
    I'm trying to install Preware using WebOS Quick Install v4.4.0, and it keeps saying "ERROR: Driver installation failed" when attempting to install Novacom driver. There's also other message telling me that Device Not Connected. I've switched to different USB ports and rebooted the computer/TP, but was no help. I also made sure that it was in Dev Mode, and pretty sure I followed the instruction accurately. So, what am I doing wrong? Or is there another way to get Preware installed so I can patch my TP (32Gb)? Thanks!
    reboot both the phone and computer and try it again. But this time don't plug in phone till it tells you too . Usually just rebooting both devices , when errors happen, works best.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    reboot both the phone and computer and try it again. But this time don't plug in phone till it tells you too . Usually just rebooting both devices , when errors happen, works best.

Thanks for your reply. Firstly, I have a Touchpad running software v3.0.5 and not a phone. Or are they the same? Secondly, I couldn't get Novacom driver installed when running WebOSQuickInstall. Like I've stated, I tried rebooting the devices, but Novacom driver could not be installed, and all I got was the message "ERROR: Driver installation failed" follows with "Device Not Connected." I updated Java version 7, which is the latest, prior to running WebOS QuickInstall. So, I'm not sure why Novacom driver cannot be downloaded and installed.
    until you get novacom installed successfully you will not get the device to connect.

A few weeks ago I tried 3 different methods of getting novacom installed, then I did a google search and found the novacom installer from Palm, that finally worked. This was the first time I have ever had problems installing novacom on and computer.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  5.    #5  
    So I did some research, and one of the members here (mcmastere) stated that he could not install Novacom on computer running 64-bit Win 7, but with 32-bit Win 7 was ok. I'm running 64-bit Win 7, and I'm having problem. Can anyone else confirm this is the case?
    I have installed novacom multiple times on my 64 bit win7 machine.... Like I said look for the Palm installer....

I think I might have installed from the package on this page... I might be able to verify later today when if I get back on that computer.

http://opensource.palm.com/packages.html
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 09/18/2012 at 02:09 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    it took me a few tries . Even though you get the error go look in the programs and files in control panel , sometimes its there even though you got the error . Remove it if its there and re-install. Use the palm novacom installer or universal novacom installer from Jason R. . Eventually it will work. I had the same issue .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    it took me a few tries . Even though you get the error go look in the programs and files in control panel , sometimes its there even though you got the error . Remove it if its there and re-install. Use the palm novacom installer or universal novacom installer from Jason R. . Eventually it will work. I had the same issue .
    Agreed... I tried everything short of ripping apart the tar lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmernator View Post
    I'm trying to install Preware using WebOS Quick Install v4.4.0, and it keeps saying "ERROR: Driver installation failed" when attempting to install Novacom driver. There's also other message telling me that Device Not Connected. I've switched to different USB ports and rebooted the computer/TP, but was no help. I also made sure that it was in Dev Mode, and pretty sure I followed the instruction accurately. So, what am I doing wrong? Or is there another way to get Preware installed so I can patch my TP (32Gb)? Thanks!
    I had the same issue, nothing worked until I downloaded and installed the webOS doctor for the touchpad 3.0.5 on my Windows 7. This was the only thing that worked for me. Novocom will be installed then quick installer will b able to be installed and run to get preware. Good luck and have fun
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    maybe too simple, but make sure you are in charge mode, not usb...
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for everyone's input. I finally was able to get Preware installed on my TouchPad. Basically, I had to use Universal Novacom Installer to open/link to WebOS Doctor file to install the Novacom driver. Then run WebOS Quick Install to install Preware.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.