Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Sorry, I know this is a grey area with no apparent solution, however I will ask in hope of finding others who can throw some light on my issue.

I have owned my TP for a couple of months now and am enjoying using it. It came to me practically new with very little use from its previous owner (my uncle) and he has said it was only used only minimally, maybe only used 5 or 6 times in total as he has other tabs at home.

The battery holds a great charge and I can get easilly the full 8 hours or more & Dr battery shows its health at 95% which seems good

However my issue occurs (only sometimes) when I power the TP on & off or restart...Before the hp logo shows I can often see the White battery icon with a Question Mark inside Note: this icon only flashes up briefly for a second or so before the HP logo shows and it then boots normally, and also it does not happen at every power cycle but I have seen it enough to have me worried

I have read through forums and this particular battery icon does indeed seem to be the only problem a Touchpad can not recover from (if the icon is there permanently) and it appears in this state the TP is true brick as there is no known fix in fact I can not find Anyone who has recovered their TP in this state.

Sorry I know I'm winding this on but I was just wondering if any others have seen this dreaded question mark battery icon flash up for a second at random times (particulary when booting) Or Am I likely to have this icon pop up and stay there permanent.
    If it has happened to anyone here...Where there warnings ie: what I am seeing, I am curious if it would only occur after a deep discharge of the battery and maybe my TP is giving me warnings to keep the battery always charged. Am nervous at every power cycle tho

I can't believe Hp have no definitive solution to this problen tbh...It seems that it is a software issue, like the software is sending a signal to the hardware that there is a problem, when in fact the battery is fine

sorry am just thinking out loud here...Thanks for listening
    Yes, I've seen this a few times and tried to work out if there is a common denominator 'reason', but it does seem pretty random... and only when booting from 'OFF'. It MAY happen more often when one uses a low current input (such as a PC USB) to charge it whilst it 'sleeps'.
    I think of it as the software in the battery getting 'questioned' by the boot cycle.. like 'Are you flat?' in which case I'll show a pic of a cord with a wall plug on it... or "Are you nearly flat?" in which case I'll show a pick of a Batt with a red line in it instead
    So my take on it is that if you can keep the Batt in the top 75% of its charge capacity anyway, then the [?] is never actually a dreaded worry, it's just HPs slightly loopy software self-checking by looking up it's own bum!
    There may have been two slightly different 'versions' of the battery fitted (and therefore the software therein) and it may be that the one does this '?' mark displaying more than the other.
    The killer bug seems to be only when the battery gets so flat that the software 'forgets' that it has to then charge it!!!!
    The only possible cures for that being to remove the Battery and charge it externally or replace it or just wait until it is COMPLETELY flat when the machine then even forgets that it had frogotten - when it should then take a trickle charge again.
    They have been known to come back to life this way!

No need to get paranoid is my recommendation!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/18/2012 at 05:22 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for explaining and it makes sense.

I have noticed this can happen even with my battery fully charged or anywhere inbetween.

I can't be sure but when the TP came to me it was dual boot with CM9 which I removed, for a week or two I don't remember if the battery icon showed but I ended up reinstalling the latest nightly and I don't know if this is why am seeing the issue more?? However I don't think this is the case since I have seen posted here of this happening to a completly stock TP

Lol @ your comment on the TP forgettin that it had forgotten....love this like a TP with Altzheimers

Seriously tho the software glitch sound most plausible and just hope the software continues to recognise the battery is indeed there and functional...The scary thing is imagining someone at HP wrote the code for this glitch and yet nobody at hp seem to have a workaround for it, other than sending it in for repair...which is now not an option for most as most warranties have expired

yet I do believe the issue to be easily rectified if only the device was recognised within windows/mac in this state

However will take your advice and not be overly paranoid about it...No sense in worrying over something that MAY happen
    sometimes if you just leave it alone and charge it via a phone charger (acts like a trickle charge) for a few days . It may or may not power on out of nowhere .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    con500 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    sometimes if you just leave it alone and charge it via a phone charger (acts like a trickle charge) for a few days . It may or may not power on out of nowhere .
    Yes, thats what I was saying.. if it becomes totally unresponsive leave it to discharge COMPLETELY and then phone charger, or TP Touchstone charger has also been rumoured to do the same... but luckily 'con500's has not collapsed to that point -
    it's only doing 'random routine questioning'!!

Thing is to never let the battery go flat.. like the poor dude who slung the awake but needing-a-charge TP into it's Touchstone when he went to bed.. and woke up to find it 'dead' and totally unresponsive because the Touchstone itself was not plugged in that night!

Keep it above 25% charge and turn it OFF if leaving it alone for an exrended period of time without charging, I reckon.

Android doesnt touch anything Palm,HP or webOS - least of all the Batt software!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/18/2012 at 09:14 PM.
    con500 likes this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I've seen the battery question mark icon show up a few times for no apparent reason, but it went away with no further issue, so doesn't seem to indicate that anything's wrong. Just a quirk. Too bad HP never got around to explaining any of these things.

There are lots of threads on the dead battery issue, but the one final thing that seems to bring back a dead battery in many cases is to leave it a week or two until it's completely totally dead, and then it's able to charge again.

Turning the TP off when not using it for an extended period is no solution. Surprisingly the battery drains even when it's turned off. More than a week turned off with no charging would risk a dead TP.
    WebOS (and Android) is "talking" to the battery chip inside the battery. The charge control is done mostly by the software/programing in this chip.
    If webOS can't "talk" to this chip you get the "?".
    I can't remember we had that problem before the A6 chip in the newer devices: Veer, Pre3 and TP. The problem in these devices is, that webOS is talking to the A6 which is "talking" to the battery. So if your A6 software (e.g. failed flashing of new A6 firmware) or the A6 hardware is damaged you get the "?".
    HP has a solution to this problem: They can flash the A6 without booting. But this can only be done by HP :-(
    con500 likes this.
    I had that battery question mark on mine one time for about an hour, after I had completely drained the battery in an older CM9 release, when it still had significant charging issues. After an hour of leaving it on the charger, it then switched to the normal low battery indicator, and hten powered up as normal.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    WebOS (and Android) is "talking" to the battery chip inside the battery. The charge control is done mostly by the software/programing in this chip.
    If webOS can't "talk" to this chip you get the "?".
    I can't remember we had that problem before the A6 chip in the newer devices: Veer, Pre3 and TP. The problem in these devices is, that webOS is talking to the A6 which is "talking" to the battery. So if your A6 software (e.g. failed flashing of new A6 firmware) or the A6 hardware is damaged you get the "?".
    HP has a solution to this problem: They can flash the A6 without booting. But this can only be done by HP :-(
    Right! Thanks for clarifying!

Is the A6 flashing that is only done by HP, now done with an 'updated' version do you suppose?

10.    #10  
    Thank you for the responses...I am less panicked to know there are others who get this also.

@Somline thanx for your explanation re: the a6 and battery chip. Do you mean I have something wrong in my hardware or software which is causing me to see this ? In battery icon at random times (but not permanent)?

I ask because I did wipe the tp clean ie acme uninstaller, full webos reset and webos doctor, which I thought would have reflashed the SW

Anyway folks thanks again for sharing...I'm good for now and still loving my touchpad, but the issue had me slightly concerned is all
    @Mutoidi
    I don't understand your question completely.
    The only known (by me) update I saw is in the "unofficial" Veer webOS 2.2.4 update.
    @con500
    Sorry but I don't know the answer. I had the "?" one time on my Veer after complete drain. After some time on charger/no charger, couple of switch on/off the Veer rebooted fine. Never had it again.

My theory about the "?" after complete drain is, that the chip needs a certain voltage from the battery to respond to webOS device.
    The question is: Is the device charging the battery even when you see the "?".
    Someone could test this by connecting only the left and the right contact but not the one in the middle and measure the current. The contact in the middle (I think it was so on the old devices) is the "one wire interface" to the battery chip. Since the middle contact is not connected I assume you will see the "?".
    @Somline..
    Sorry, I really only meant that IF there was an actual software glitch with HP's A6---> battery charging software, leading to random "?"s.. did you know whether they had updated the flashing that only they can do? In other words have they produced a newer firmware which 'rectified' the existing 'problem'... or are HP simply reflashing 'dead' Touchpads with the same 'problematic' software?

Perhaps none of us will ever know!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 09/19/2012 at 05:13 AM.
    I never saw a response from HP about it. The A6 update on the Veer is for Touch2Share. Don't know if there are other improvements.
    There was one post here (can't find it) where a HP employe told us, that if they have/had the "?" or the "looks like dead problem on TP" they would bring it to a college who can "repair" it. I assume by reflashing the A6 and/or recharging the battery independent from the device.
  14.    #14  
    If this defect is inherent to some but not all Touchpads should it not still be covered outside of warranty? As it seems to be a Design/Manufacture flaw, and through no fault of the user

If HP are sending out units with hardware defects (not knowingly) surely it is their responsibility if the end result is a dead touchpad, that only they can fix...especially if the end result occurs within a year or so of ownership.

These dead touchpads have been fixed by hp up until now...But now the 1 year warranties are up....What Now?

Would love for HP to speak out about the battery issue (and fix so we can better understand

Note: My TP is not dead...yet! But because I am seeing this ? Icon a lot it makes me assume its a done deal sooner or later especially if I accedentily allow my TP to deplete battery
    Last edited by con500; 09/19/2012 at 06:11 AM.
    OK.. thanks.
    So basically we just don't know whether the 'repair' was to their firmware or not!

Quote Originally Posted by con500 View Post
    If this defect is inherent to some but not all Touchpads should it not still be covered outside of warranty? As it seems to be a Design/Manufacture flaw, and through no fault of the user

If HP are sending out units with hardware defects (not knowingly) surely it is their responsibility if the end result is a dead touchpad, that only they can fix...especially if the end result occurs within a year or so of ownership.

These dead touchpads have been fixed by hp up until now...But now the 1 year warranties are up....What Now?

Would love for HP to speak out about the battery issue (and fix so we can better understand
    I wouldn't expect any help from HP about this. You probably got the device very cheap. There is, and probably will be no future support for the devices. This is the reason I've bought 2 of each device to have my spare one.

My best advice for trying to repair would be the fine thread from kjhenrie: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-touchpad.html
    It should fix the "looks like dead" but will not help on a "kaputt" A6.
    Last edited by somline; 09/19/2012 at 06:32 AM.
    If you suspect that there may be some out of date A6 firmware or something, you could try running a full doctor on it, doctor should check to make sure that the A6 is current.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    If you suspect that there may be some out of date A6 firmware or something, you could try running a full doctor on it, doctor should check to make sure that the A6 is current.
    Thanx...I already wiped the machine clean, acme uninstall, full webos reset, then doctored to webos v 3.0 after this the Tp updated to v 3.05 ota. The tp feels great in use, snappy and fresh...but this pesky ? Icon is persistent,(Only at boot) before and after wipe

jus gonna try forget about it tho, and avoid unnecissary power cycling, like I say its just a worrying niggle atm. Otherwise the pad is good...For Now
    I've had my TouchPad for almost 9 months & I don't recall ever seeing the "White battery icon with a Question Mark inside" as described by con500 in the OP.......
    UNTIL NOW!!!

1st, a little of my TouchPads history:
    It has been repaired 2X. 1st because the (out-of-the-box) the right/bottom speaker didn't work & 2nd (almost 3 months later) because of cracks in the bottom case. Both times my original TouchPad was repaired (not replaced). Also, right after both repairs, I verified w/Dr. Battery that the higher capacity battery was still in it (6612mAh per Dr. Battery). At that time, Dr. Battery also said that the "BATTERY HEALTH" was 100%. Soon after the 2nd repair, I let the battery completly drain until it would'nt boot and leaving it on the HP barrel charger overnight charged it to 100%. But then Dr. Battery said that the "BATTERY HEALTH" had droppped to 95%. Within the last week, I noticed that now Dr. Battery's "BATTERY HEALTH" says the it has dropped to 94%.

The "White battery icon with a Question Mark inside" curse ?:
    Since finding this thread yesterday, last night I "Shut Down" the 100% charged TouchPad while on the TouchStone. While still on the TouchStone I immediately turned it on via the power button and I got the hp logo>"White battery icon with a Question Mark inside"> the hp boot logo, then it continues to boot up. I can consistently make this reoccur.

My question is, is this normal and can someone with a TouchStone please see if their's does the same?. As I don't recall ever doing the TouchStone Shut Down>on w/powerbutton scenario before. When using "Device Restart" while on the TouchStone, the "White battery icon with a Question Mark inside" never appears (yet?). The "?" battery icon never shows when just using the barrel charger.

After many tests, it seems that with the TouchPad off & while on the TouchStone, if I can press the power button only ~2 sec. (or less... just enough to get the device to turn on) & release, it's a 50/50 chance if shows the "White battery icon with a Question Mark inside" (after the hp logo but before the hp boot logo). Holding the power button more than 2 sec. & release (or continually holding it), and it will always show the "White battery icon with a Question Mark inside" before the boot logo.
    HP Touchpad 32GB
    con500 likes this.
    I'm not tempting my TPad with that white question mark lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast