webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Windows 8 on Touchpad
Windows 8 on Touchpad
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter

Old 09/15/2012, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

No, I'm not asking if it's possible to install Windows on our touchpads, or anything similar. I was perusing the MS Dreamspark website, and I noticed this:

Clicky 1

I figure that this was just a promo shot from way back when, but I still find it interesting. They were definitely in talks about it at some point obviously.

Check it out here:

Clicky2
darthcircuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/15/2012, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

I was reading a Windows magazine a couple month ago in a store, and there was a Windows 8 article with a picture of a lady holding a tablet which looked suspiciously like a TP.

(angled so the reader saw the glossy black back, complete with the HP logo)
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/17/2012, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was reading somewhere that to qualify to run Windows 8 on a tablet, it requires 5 buttons: Vol+, Vol-, Windows Key, Power, and something else (can't remember )... But seeing the new MS Surface I don't think that is valid anymore... but either way to get Windows RT requires an OEM license (technically & legally)...
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2013, 01:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Was just thinking, if I buy a surface rt off eBay with a broken screen..... Then its a legal copy of rt....and I remember reading somewhere that the tp drivers are in rt...might be worth a shot
Old 09/12/2013, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

lol an attempt to make the touchpad the first quadruple boot tablet?

sounds interesting if only to brag about it.
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 09/12/2013, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
lol an attempt to make the touchpad the first quadruple boot tablet?

sounds interesting if only to brag about it.
hey its multiple OSes that really gave the HD2 its legendary status! (Windows Mobile 6.5, countless Android versions, Windows Phone 7, 8, Windows RT, Meego I believe, Ubuntu, etc.)

I'd like to see RT on the TouchPad.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 09/12/2013, 06:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

If it can be done it only adds to the awesomeness of the Touchpad. I don't think HP yet has a clue of what it threw away.
joeytino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2013, 06:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Only problem would be (if you can even get it to run): performance. I have a Surface RT since about 2 weeks. I've replaced my laptop with it (but most of the day I'm still on my HP Touchpad) and performance is mediocre at best. Opening up Metro apps is is quite fast, scrolling is smooth but with 4 apps open things (especially the browser) start to slow down. Even after disabling Windows Defender. It's not enough to get pissed but it's noticeable. Now imagine running it on the Touchpad which has lower specs than the Surface RT... It would be seriously lagging or at least slow app startups at best.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: xandros9
Old 09/15/2013, 01:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Only problem would be (if you can even get it to run): performance. I have a Surface RT since about 2 weeks. I've replaced my laptop with it (but most of the day I'm still on my HP Touchpad) and performance is mediocre at best. Opening up Metro apps is is quite fast, scrolling is smooth but with 4 apps open things (especially the browser) start to slow down. Even after disabling Windows Defender. It's not enough to get pissed but it's noticeable. Now imagine running it on the Touchpad which has lower specs than the Surface RT... It would be seriously lagging or at least slow app startups at best.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
I would have to agree with him i also have the surface rt but nothing beats the touchpad! just saying lol.
mrmarquis9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2014, 01:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Found this thread after I created a new one about update 1 to 8.1. Do you think this new update coming in April could work on touchpad?

Windows 8.1--update 1 on touchpad?
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0