Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By jsgraphicart
  1.    #1  
    I installed some Preware patches and briked my Touchpad. I never had problems with this unit in the past. I've had it since June 2011 when I got it from HP at a developer's event in Sunnyvale. It was a reliable workhorse, but now it's dead. not even webOS Doctor works and my computer can't see it when it's plugged in. I tried changing the charging cord just in case the batteries were dead and my cord was defective. Noting works.

Not angry though. Next time I'll be more careful about installing Preware patches and Govnah. Not blaming anyone here. Of course, it's not under warranty.

I'll try to fix it, but if I can't, I'm willing to sell my Touchstone charger for cheap. Not sure anything will ever compatible for it. Will keep the keyboard though, as it's a great piece.

Anyone ever bricked a Touchpad? Anyway you guys think I could salvage and save it. I'd rather be able to use it again. Of I can't, I'll get an iPad. I like the size.

Thanks
    Last edited by ComicBookBin; 09/10/2012 at 08:25 PM.
  2.    #3  
    Nope. Dead
    It's hard to imagine that patches can kill a touchpad to the point where it shows no sign of life at all. It sounds more like a hardware failure such as the battery not getting charged for some reason. Any chance HP will take a look at it?

Of course if the battery has gone dead, it's probably near impossible to get replacements anyway....

good luck
    its the battery if anything at all, first get a new charger pack(the piece that plugs into the wall) they untwist because they are 2 pieces and they go bad . Sounds like the charger pack went bad and then the battery completely died because of it. Plug in the TPad with a new charger pack for a day. Then try setting up the doctor and when it says plug in your device plug it in and see if that wakes it up,if not, also try holding in the volume up button and pushing both the home button and power button and holding them for about 15 to 30 sec. This sometimes will get the TPad to turn on as well. Hopefully you can get it to work one way or the other.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    My refurb touchpad came completely dead from the factory and also would not turn on at all. Use the USB cable to trickle charge the unit from your computer's USB port and give it a few hours. If the battery is too low, the voltage supplied by the wall charger and/or Touchstone is too high and the unit will not charge. This worked for me when all else failed.
    Was you battery low when it happened? If a Touchpads battery dies, it takes quite a bit of charging to see any sort of life again. It has to charge to a certain point. I have read people leaving it charging for a day or so and finally saw some life out of it.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Quote Originally Posted by msmitt View Post
    My refurb touchpad came completely dead from the factory and also would not turn on at all. Use the USB cable to trickle charge the unit from your computer's USB port and give it a few hours. If the battery is too low, the voltage supplied by the wall charger and/or Touchstone is too high and the unit will not charge. This worked for me when all else failed.
    I'm having similar problems.

The kids appear to have had something running in the background and didn't check if when they placed it on the touchstone if is was charging. They are saying that somehow it got unplugged...

Regardless, the problem is that it is now completely dead, I've had it plugged in the computer, on a Pre charger (1A), on a third party charger at 500mA, 670mA, 1A, alternating every few hours, but mostly (the overnight) on the computer.

Holding the buttons as you mentioned, (volume up, power, and home), the computer does display "Palm device, need to load drivers" message, but that's all I can get as any sign on life.

I'd really hate to lose this Touchpad over something as trivial as a dead battery.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  8.    #9  
    Hi. The Touchpad was fully charged. But It's working now. @ekdikeo told me to click power + home for about 40 seconds to see if it would work. It booted up and there were no loss of data. I reduced the Govnah setting I was using - which had caused the tablet to reboot since I jacked it up. Now, with lower settings, it's running smoothly. Was still charged. The Touchstone chargers works quite well, even the cord. Did not lose any data and am quite glad to be back on my Touchpad.

Yesterday I went browsing for other tablets and considered a Fire, an iPad and a Nexus7. They just didn't appeal to me. The iPad has the right screen size I like, but it feels unproductive. The Nexus7 might be cool, but I don't like 7 inches tabs. I don't think I like the monitoring of the Amazon tablet and the fact that it's intended to sell me crap I don't need. That's not what my tablet is for. I bring it to meetings to take notes, to travel instead of a laptop and check the Web and all.

I don't use my tablet to read books and watch movies consume crap I don't need. I use my tablet to work and facilitate my life. I guess the Fire is just not for me then!

But thank you all for the advises!
    Quote Originally Posted by ComicBookBin View Post
    Hi. The Touchpad was fully charged. But It's working now. @ekdikeo told me to click power + home for about 40 seconds to see if it would work. It booted up and there were no loss of data. I reduced the Govnah setting I was using - which had caused the tablet to reboot since I jacked it up. Now, with lower settings, it's running smoothly. Was still charged. The Touchstone chargers works quite well, even the cord. Did not lose any data and am quite glad to be back on my Touchpad.

Yesterday I went browsing for other tablets and considered a Fire, an iPad and a Nexus7. They just didn't appeal to me. The iPad has the right screen size I like, but it feels unproductive. The Nexus7 might be cool, but I don't like 7 inches tabs. I don't think I like the monitoring of the Amazon tablet and the fact that it's intended to sell me crap I don't need. That's not what my tablet is for. I bring it to meetings to take notes, to travel instead of a laptop and check the Web and all.

I don't use my tablet to read books and watch movies consume crap I don't need. I use my tablet to work and facilitate my life. I guess the Fire is just not for me then!

But thank you all for the advises!
    The power + home button just forces it to reboot so you're data wouldnt have gone anywhere. But its weird that you couldnt even boot normally. What kernel are you using to overclock? Is it UberKernel or one of the alpha/beta ones? Glad to hear you got it working though. And if you ever want a "new" tablet, you can always install Android on it and dual boot the two. You wont lose any webOS stuff. Just a thought.
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcatny View Post
    It's hard to imagine that patches can kill a touchpad to the point where it shows no sign of life at all. It sounds more like a hardware failure such as the battery not getting charged for some reason. Any chance HP will take a look at it?
    Technically patches can't kill the TouchPad... kernels *may* although that is very rare over the 3 year existence of webOS
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Yes - always charge & go for 'Home + Power' button' hold for 30 secs as a first port of call when apparently 'bricked'.
    Holding 'Home + Power + Vol Up' could throw it into 'Recovery Mode' (large white horizontal 'USB' symbol) which would require either Doctoring, OR 'Home + Power' button hold to restore the OS anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Yes - always charge & go for 'Home + Power' button' hold for 30 secs as a first port of call when apparently 'bricked'.
    Holding 'Home + Power + Vol Up' could throw it into 'Recovery Mode' (large white horizontal 'USB' symbol) which would require either Doctoring, OR 'Home + Power' button hold to restore the OS anyway!

Also there is the hold power and press center button quickly 10 (or 20?) times. This one was undocumented to my knowledge but was widely used by HP reps after the firesale and has worked for many.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Also there is the hold power and press center button quickly 10 (or 20?) times. This one was undocumented to my knowledge but was widely used by HP reps after the firesale and has worked for many.
    Ha! Sounds frantic!
    But I guess could amount to the same as holding Power & Centre (Home) buttons for 20 secs continuously!

i used to do that not long after i first got my touchpad, id read about it here somewhere after the first time id had an issue with my sound going cranky then a rogue app freezing my system shortly after, deffo handy.

if its been off after weird happenings i found maybe once or twice if it wouldnt turn on for some weird reason or was just slow to do so that placing it on the touchstone made it bootup near instantly.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Sounds like a good way to break your buttons. lol
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    Ha! Sounds frantic!
    But I guess could amount to the same as holding Power & Centre (Home) buttons for 20 secs continuously!

Yeah I haven't yet had to do it, but my guess would be some internal trick that when there was the crazy influx of sales, then ensuing support calls the engineers gave to CS. Two reasons for this, you get customers off the phone, and you reduce warranty returns (since the product and entire line was essentially dead as far as HP was concerned, no need to hold back a device troubleshooting function).
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Sounds like a good way to break your buttons. lol
    HA I was thinking the same thing as I was typing it.... I try to never use the freakin button LOL.